Which tracksaw?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grafter

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm looking to buy a track saw and currently undecided, any user experience of these would be really helpful. Will be used for cutting down ply, MDF and general use - doors etc.

1 - Festool TS55 - had a look at one, like it, like the system, expensive but looked well engineered

2 - Bosch GKT55 - Nicely made, depth adjustment didn't seem as positive as on the festool, as other noted the track looks better (but very expensive for replacement/additions). Share some bits with Mafell?

3 - Dewalt DWS520KT - Nice well balanced, cheaper ABS on the dust port, casting not quite as good as Bosch and Festool but felt nice and solid. Saw runs on with side of the track.

4 - Makita SP6000j - Store reckoned these were not worth bothering with, not as nicely finished as the Festool+Bosch and saw base was chipped out of the box.

Any opinions of any of these, i'm leaning to the Bosch...unless I've missed a better option (not the mafell - loved it but too expensive!)

Thanks!

I have the Festool TS55, and highly rate it. However, I haven't used any other brand so can't offer a comparison. It's well put together, and seems accurately adjustable.

I have it paired with the CT26 vac and the MFT/3 table and can't fault any of the kit. It just works, and works well. Dust extraction is awesome, which is what I wanted as I cut a lot of MDF.

The problem with the Festool stuff is that it's very moreish, and there are loads of aftermarket gadgets available.

I got the TS55 kit from Axminster with the 2x 1.6m rails and accessories. Don't think it was any more expensive than a similar package for the Bosch I was considering.

No, the Festool isn’t cheap, but it’s superb. Accurate, versatile, makes glass-smooth cuts in everything from MDF to walnut and oak. I’ve no experience of the competition but in my view look no further than the grey and green. Only problem is...you’ll want to buy into the Festool system, which is highly addictive (and expensive).

I have the Rutlands very cheap tracksaw, I have used it to cut engineering wood laminate which it cut with glass smooth ends that are the envy of my friends that have seen it, its also cut Oak board and 25mm ply wood without splintering or problems, its accurate in any type of material all at a cost of under £100.00, I really can't fault it.

Mike

I have the Festool for the workshop and Makita for site work, yes the Festool is good it's a well finished tool but there is a lot of snobbery about how good they are, in the end it just cuts timber in a straight line, in exactly the same way as the Makita. In reality it's no better than the Makita.

grafter":3nrczdje said:
3 - Dewalt DWS520KT - Nice well balanced, cheaper ABS on the dust port, casting not quite as good as Bosch and Festool but felt nice and solid. Saw runs on with side of the track.

Hmmm, where are you getting that from?

I have the Dewalt and it is pretty nicely made. In fact I thought it was one of the betters ones when I compared it to a Makita, Bosch and a Scheppach.

Runs on both side of the track as well.

I really like mine. The dust extraction is excellent.

The only critiscms I have are:

Because it cuts on both sides of the track, there is a zero clearance rubber strips on both edges, so if you need a positive stop to push up against you need to remove a strip from one edge.

The locking knob for the depth adjuster seems to be quite sticky.

Now I've sold my tablesaw I'm actually considering selling it for a Scheppach PL75 to get more depth of cut.

large red":3sqcta32 said:
I have the Festool for the workshop and Makita for site work, yes the Festool is good it's a well finished tool but there is a lot of snobbery about how good they are, in the end it just cuts timber in a straight line, in exactly the same way as the Makita. In reality it's no better than the Makita.
I agree entirely. I started off with the Makita and couldn't be happier with it, but when my shed was broken into and my rails stolen it only worked out something like £30 extra to sell the Makita and remaining accessories, and buy a Festool kit on special offer at the time.

Between the Festool and Makita I found there was very little regarding quality of cut or accuracy; however the Festool's more in vogue for those who like to brag on the owners club forum.

Another vote for Festool. Bought my TS55 years ago when it was pretty much one of a kind. It converted me to good quality tools and to Festool - my wallet has suffered ever since. Lots more choice now as the other manufacturers have made their versions. I don't have experience of the competition but I can thoroughly recommend the Festool.
Dave

For me the festool kit is overpriced. Good design, good system thinking and good warranty but you pay a big premium for it and build quality isn't as good as the marketing. So i'm a sceptic but all the same I waited for the annual sale and bought a festool TS55REBQ and the short +medium tracks. It's very good.
If I was buying today, i think i'd buy the bosch version and use it on festool rails. According to a guy on the bosch exhibition stand, the bosch tracksaw is made for them by mafell. I believe him. There are too many design similarities with Mafell's own saw. The bosch saw looks to give Mafell build (the best) for less money. But i think festool tracks are better because of the green anti friction strips on top. The bosch / mafell saw runs on either so buy the festool rails.

Oh, and there's no point in choosing a premium saw if you're not going to use it with a vacuum, but you don't need the matching brand. Just use a good quiet vacuum and get the hose adapter that goes with the saw to make a robust connection.

If you get the Festool it will make you more efficient, a better craftsman, more intelligent, more handsome and richer, or so people will have you belive! Joking aside the Ferstool is a good bit of kit, had mine for years but the others have caught up. Get the Festool if you think you will buy any other Festools in the future because it does all work together. People joke about the Festool Owners Group, yes there are fan boys on there but it is a source of really useful information.

The Bosch/Mafell rails are thought by some to be better, easier to join and less of a faff changing splinter strips.

Nothing wrong with the Makita, I will be getting their cordless version at some point.

Doug

I have a Makita (110V), together with a few add-ons, including a 3m rail and Festool rail clamps.

I like it a lot. It has a very marginally deeper depth of cut than the Festool, because of the larger diameter blade (both sizes, 160 and 165mm will fit and work). It could really do with a double depth scale for both on- and off-rail work (the adding-subtracting is frustrating, and the Festool has two scales - an update is overdue).

It has an anti-tip feature for bevels. I use this a lot and have cause to be grateful for it. The Festool hasn't (but it does have sacrificial splinter guards for the outside edge of the kerf).

It has a "scoring blade" quick setting of about 1-2mm depth of cut. This is both a good idea and works well (quick and easy in use).

The only really infuriating annoyance is the rail protractor (angle guide or whatever). It seems to be something Chinese and is nigh-on identical to the Festool equivalent. It's rubbish, both in operation and build quality - don't waste a penny on it.

The only issue is lack of a riving knife. I trade this off against the anti-tip feature - both are safety related and I wish there was a saw out there with both features. I _think_ I'd go Festool if doing it again, but it's still marginal. I think the price difference is quite a lot smaller than it was.

HTH, E.

PS: I bought the 110V one by mistake, but it came with a good long power cable, that's rubber-covered and decent quality heavy-duty too. It doesn't tangle or go rigid in cold weather. and both are important as you don't want the cord catching on a long cut. One of my Makita sanders came fitted with the same stuff.

Eric The Viking":2erowrxu said:
The only really infuriating annoyance is the rail protractor (angle guide or whatever). It seems to be something Chinese and is nigh-on identical to the Festool equivalent. It's rubbish, both in operation and build quality - don't waste a penny on it.

Eric, if it's any consolation I have never heard a good word said about the Festool angle guide, never used it myself but general consensus seems to be that it is rubbish.

Doug

I’ve got the Makita and find it meets my needs perfectly well (mainly crosscutting wide sheets with rips done on the table saw). I’ve never used a TS55 but can’t imagine it could be that much better tbh (happy to be proven wrong though by those with experience of both). There is very little dust thrown up by the Makita when hooked up to a vac and the edges are clean and sharp enough to cut fingers (DAMHIKT). The Mak has another advantage for me though which might not be relevant to all - it is made in the U.K. You pays your money and you makes your choice....

Thanks very much for all your thoughts, I think I'm going to return to the shop for another look. All the ones I detailed have good warranties and are "pro" level tools. In reality it seems they will all cut in a straight line and so will fulfill the requirement and there seems not too much to pick between them.

The issue really is that more expensive tools are (hopefully) not cheap consumable item like wood glue where you can try different ones to test them out on a whim. Typically with bigger power tools you have to decide in the shop (without actually using them) or from online reviews, or forums whereas really you want a tool in the workshop for a while to try - the real test once the new'ness and novelty has worn off!

However as @Doug71 mentioned if the Festool will "make you more efficient, a better craftsman, more intelligent, more handsome and richer, " I better get that one!

Thanks,

Not sure about making you richer Grafter. Poorer might better reflect how you fair financially given Festool prices.

before I get jumped on I'm not saying festool aren't worth the cost.

grafter":z7kfcmkb said:
However as @Doug71 mentioned if the Festool will "make you more efficient, a better craftsman, more intelligent, more handsome and richer, " I better get that one!

Thanks,

It will also make you break out in pimples, don't forget handsome men attract handsome men, you will be less attractive to women and have less money to buy the things that really matter, like Gin. #-o

Mike

I know this will probably sound daft, but the thing I love best about the Festool is the Plug It power system. It makes so much more sense to me to plug a cable into the machine, rather than have it hard-wired. I don’t know why other manufacturers don’t do this too.

I’m going to chop the cables off my other tools and fit Plug It converters so that I only have one cable to trip over.

As said above it is the plug it system that got me hooked. I have a boom arm over my bench with a plug it lead and extraction hose hanging down, swapping between tracksaw, router, domino etc is so easy, just unplug hose and lead from one tool and plug straight in to another. For me that alone is worth the extra Festool spend.

Doug

Back