Which set of drill/driver bits?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcgriffo

Reaction score
Ok - I have finally purchased my brand new spanking brilliant cordless drill/driver, but it didn't come with any bits!

Is there a set of drill/screwdriver bits that is revered as being "the one to have" or could anyone recommend a good one?

Hi mcgriffo

I will start the ball rolling with this

Snappy have a good name but I have not used them ( a few members on here have ) but I have used some of they Quick Switch bits and been happy with what I have got.

I hope this helps

Regards Colin

I have a set of the Snappy drill driver bits but two of them are now broken. I don't think it is just this make but they do tend to break easily if you are a little careless. Only problem with that is that the drill bits are longer than the average drill so you must buy the genuine replacements. Still a worthwhile buy at the price and very handy things to have. IMHO. :wink:

The best driver bits I have come across are APEX they are American ideal fro production work excellent quality and some innovative tip designs that work with some of the cheap screws. I always find the reversible sets not very good and buy a good set of drills a good set of driver bits and have 2 cordless drill drivers

I don't like the flip over bits, they do not give a true clearance hole and are hard pushed to counterbore in anything other than softwood.

I use a Dewalt "snappy" type holder with an assortment of bits. Nostly a mag holder with Wera bits to take care of the screws with 150 & 300mm extensions.

For general fixing I have these hex-recess bits fitted with clamp on countersinks but for MDF/ Hardwood prefer the metric sized TCT drill countersinks

Jason

I bought Schultzy's recommended kit when offered by B&Q. What may not be so obvious is that the selection includes multiples of some of the most commonly used drill bits, i.e. there are not 300 unique pieces.
I took the view when buying that it included lots of items that I would use only very occasionally, but cheaper and handier to get now. The screwdriver bits are very comprehensive. The drill bits themselves are not of the highest quality but the multiple copies help there. If you find you're getting through a lot of a particular size then you could buy top quality for those and this kit for the one-off's. Having them all together in the case I find very handy and the lower two sliding compartments remove if you want to take them e.g. on-site.
Regards

I have a little tub of BOSCH titanium screw driver bits. Screws go in cleanly time after time. I like them. (I'm going to have to find a bit adapter for my mini Stanley Yankee.)

i have the dewalt snappy type. it came free with an £80 drill from screwfix. as a free item it is great and quite well made. if i was to pay the £30 asking price from screwfix i would hesitate. the drills are to long and dont give clearance holes or indeed tapping holes!! the allen key methods of holding bits, drills etc is not good enough. the weight means it often comes loose on its own and the length often makes access difficult. the individual parts and the cvoncept are fine BUT it doesnt work to well as a package. i have snapped the biggest drill and reground it much shorter for 18mm boards. and it is still a bit to narrow for clearance on 4mm screws!!

After watching the new yankee workshop, I decided to purchase a jack rabbit from overseas, and man was i impressed, it doesn't spin on centre until you engage it onto the work piece but for drilling, coutersinking and sriving it works surperbly, a nice piece of kit from the yanks, cabinet maker set costs $30 (about£15) and is for gauge number8 screws plus about £12 for postage, and no import duty bonus! after using it at work i decided to buy another for home, and some work pals went in with me so ordered about 6 sets.

The full set costs $60 (about£30), and comes with 4sets of drills and countersinks. I hope this is useful.
http://www.jackrabbittool.com

I agree with Colin and the others go for Trand Snappy. Buy this set and you will probably have all you need for quite some time and you will not be disappointed.

http://www.itslondon.co.uk/pd_TRESNAP[fSlash]TH2[fSlash]SET_SNAPTH2SET_SnappyDrillBitSet60pce.htm

I've tried Bosch, Dewalt, Wiha, Wera (+ loads of other lesser brands).

For installation work the bits get worked hard - both driving in and removing screws - a good quality, high grip bit is even more important for extracting half-mashed (PZ2's invariably) screw heads.

I've not tried anything that can beat a Felo diamond bit (Allstar) for durability or grip - still have the original one I purchased about a year ago and it is still going strong (although have a few spares as the local stockist changed hands and changed their stock profile and slug them, madness IMHO). The bit set has an excellent magnetic bit holder that holds the screw head for really easy one-handed driving in difficult to get to places and easy, controlled starting without having to hold and guide the screw itself.

Latest posts

Back