Which saw for my buisness - advice really needed!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kemo_2002

Reaction score
Hi everyone, i am new to this forum, and was hoping some of your guys my be able to give me a bit of advice in somethingi dont knowmuch about!

i have my own business, currently making keepsake boxes, but for hte decoration i use MDF letters - i usually buy these, which cost roughly £1 per letter (6" high , roughly 6mm thick)

i would however like to start doing these myself and try to expand the business using different shapes ect.

eventually i wanted to save for a CNC but they are so expensive! and to be honest, apart from being able to mass produce them, it looks as though a scroll saw will fulfil my needs for now, if i tell you what i want to make, maybe some of you kind peple could give me an idea ofwhat i want tobe looking for:

i want to use it for cutting out MDF, mainly single letters, around 6" high 6mm thick
mdf shapes, of different kinds, stars, hearts ect

i would like to get into freestanding letters around 18mm

although im not 'mass producing them' i would be looking to do anything from 10-50 letters per week ... could a scroll saw stand up to that mch use?

Comments and suggestions greatly apreciated!

oh budget..well im self employed and i am purley working formyself so i dont have £££££ to spend, but i dont want to g out an buy something that will give up on me after a month or so. Second hand is fine too, probably means i could get more for my money...

Only one choice in my book

HEGNER

they have 20% off on sales of new machines at the moment

If you will only be cutting wood then variable speed is not really needed

click the link

http://www.hegner.co.uk/Scrollsaws

as you are self employed you need reliability so a sound quality saw is a must

Dewalt 788 is also good but very rare in the UK as they are no longer sold here

Then a list of all the others , the cheaper they get the lower the quality

and blade changing needs to be easy as well , you will find loads of posts on this subject in the search facility

:mrgreen:

I have to agree 100% with this statement:
"as you are self employed you need reliability so a sound quality saw is a must".
Do not buy second hand. You never know how much it has been used, no warrenty when there is a problem with the saw.
You can deduct it as a business expends.
FD Mike

i was thinking HEGNER - but for what i want to do, which one? there is alot of choice, again the main things i will be doing it mdf wooden letters, shpaes, variety of thickness from 6mm - 20mm possibly going onto harder woods in the future.

Do you think that i hegner will be to high spec for what i want it to do?

kemo_2002":bvsbzmqd said:
i was thinking HEGNER - but for what i want to do, which one? there is alot of choice, again the main things i will be doing it mdf wooden letters, shpaes, variety of thickness from 6mm - 20mm possibly going onto harder woods in the future.

Do you think that i hegner will be to high spec for what i want it to do?

This one will do what you need , cuts up to 50mm ( 2 " )

http://www.hegner.co.uk/Hegner_Multicut_1

Quality is only a problem when you don't buy it

Lovely saw , I have one :lol:

Again buy good quality blades from Mike , he is in the USA but posts really fast and has a super range of quality blades ,

he will advise what blades you need for different wood types

http://www.mikesworkshop.com/blades.htm

Have fun :mrgreen:

yes quality, seeing as though i have never in my life used one! everyone has got to start somewhere though right!

im not sure if to go for second hand (not quite as expensive mistake if i really cant get to grips with it) i appreciate there is no warranty, but i couldnt take it back because i 'couldn't do it' lol

I would definately get a new blade! are the older hegner 1s much different to the newer ones that are now made? do you think i would need a variable speed? and if so, why?

Many Thanks again!

kemo_2002":2s5l9xpr said:
yes quality, seeing as though i have never in my life used one! everyone has got to start somewhere though right!

im not sure if to go for second hand (not quite as expensive mistake if i really cant get to grips with it) i appreciate there is no warranty, but i couldnt take it back because i 'couldn't do it' lol

I would definitely get a new blade! are the older Hegner 1s much different to the newer ones that are now made? do you think i would need a variable speed? and if so, why?

Many Thanks again!

If you buy a quality saw it will hold its price well
(not quite as expensive mistake if i really cant get to grips with it)

How would you not get on with it , a couple of hours practice on some scrap wood following pre drawn lines and away you go

You will get more annoyed trying to work with a low quality saw and it blade changing

If you buy a cheap saw you may be able to give it away if you are lucky at a later date

Variable speed is only really needed if you intend to cut metals and plastics and because of the extra electronics , costs more

Great, thankyou for a advice!

so now its just a choice of £395 (or £531 for other HM-1/110 - not sure what diff is? apart from £136) plus, etra for quality new blades?

Or

buy second hand probably costing around £200 if i buy brand new blades for it as recommended.

arghhh

i see, ohhhh i assumed it has already taken the 25% off...makes buying new even better :)

would you recommend that i may need any extras whilst placing my order? or will simply new blades be adequate?

sorry for all the questions, i just really want ot get it right first time!

I see the main difference is the variable speed, but like you said, im not wanting to cut plastics, i only want to work with wood :) Out of interest, does it make a difference in speed if you are cutting thicker or thinner wood?

does it make a difference in speed if you are cutting thicker or thinner wood?

As I said earlier you need to ask Mike what blade he recommends for a particular type of wood and thickness

BUT you need to let the saw do the sawing and don't push to hard and don't force it ,

as it causes the blades to heat up and bend leading to a broken blade , and blackened wood either side of the cut ( burnt )

no different to using a table saw / band saw , you need to give it time to cut and clear the shavings away from the blade ( easier with the correct blade ) :wink:

no not really i cut between 4mm and 40mm with hegner 1single speed going the full 50mm with this model would be pushing it a bit .

as a general rule the thicker material you will need stronger coarser blades , numbers 3 5 7 and 9 should provide you with enough options for different materials

reverse tooth would be best it means 2 teeth on the bottom facing upwards so you dont get break through

as for accessories quick release blade clamp from hegner is a must about 20 quid after that it depends how much money you got to spend !! you can have lights , foot switch a machine stand etc etc for my first 18 months all i had was the hegner and a cheap electric 1/4 sheet sander and i produced work that i sold (ah the simple early days)

i use niqua reverse tooth saw blades that hegner supply about 8 pound for 3 dozen with delivery i find them very good and take couple days if you get hegner order some with your machine no extra postage then !

a hegner, a selection of blades , quick release clamp , a sturdy bench , some sand paper , a drill and your good to go

Mark

For 4mm ply i use a number 3 if i was cutting around 20mm - 30mm i use a 5 or a 7 any thicker a number 9 , but here is the rub you could use say a number 9 on say 15mm depth but you wouldnt be able to cut tight radius it not an exact science it a matter of experimenting, i read some advice somewhere and it said to use the thickest blade you can get away with and as a general rule it works for me.

also you need to have at least two teeth covered by the depth of wood

Mark

pardon my ignorance again, but the hegner 1 comes with :

1 x Pack of blades with 1 doz each grades 1,3,5,7,9 for wood cutting.
2 x Blade Clamps fitted in machine

will i need to get better blades than these? and also you say a quick release clamp (which i have heard on here is very useful) i take it the above again, is not adequate?

your not ignorant i know what it was like when i started !!

the hegner machine supplied blades are ok and will do the job fine i used them to start with but a dozen of the most popular sizes wont last long looking at what you are cutting i would order a dozen of 3,5,7 to get you started the reverse tooth niqua ones and you will notice the difference in quality

the standard release clamp works fine and i used it for about a year then i got round to ordering the quick release clamp and wish i had it from the begining !! without trying to go into detail just two words sum it up quicker and easier , especially for internal cuts you wont be dissapointed and you will see the difference if you cant i will buy it off you for a spare !

I too wanted a scrollsaw for commercial use and bought a basic Hegner a couple of weeks ago. Its fine. I do alot of internal cutting so a foot switch would have been a great feature so may buy one for the future. I also bought the blade clamp thing which works really well. I have a quick release clamp on the back of the machine as standard and am struggling to see why an enhancement on this is worth the money :?: I hate buying secondhand machines unless I know the history also I hate buying cheap quality. At £395 less 20% its quite alot of money but well spent IMO. One thing I've noticed is the table scratches easliy being ally.

all in all this machine lives up to its reputationand I am well please :D

blade changing is a doddle and it also cuts in stright lines without problem....

Thankyou everyone for your help! ive almost bought my first saw! im a bit nervous actually, whilsti m question asking, i might as well chuck in a few more, i will be cutting MDF boards, what do you use to cut the boards down to size? i know B&Q do a cutting service,but at 50p a cut, its going to work out expensive and cut down my profit margins, also, any advice on an easy method of getting the pattern onto the wood?

dont be nervous if buying the hegner you be fine, i cut down my ply borads on hegner around 4 foot by 2 by cutting across half way then turning around and cutting across halfway again , i stick or draw the pattern on first so i know where to cut with a bit of pratice you can reduce a board like that down to workable pieces , obviosusly if you had a table saw that would maybe help or just a workmate and jig saw to get it down a bit but you will be suprised what you can reduce with the hegner

as for sticking i use prittstick power silver , metallic tube and then any that dosent peel off i sand , if you catn sand it because mdf you can use a a bottle of stuff called sticky stuff remover by de-solvit a few drops of that will quickly remove any residue it fantastic stuff b an q sell it but order online for instore pick up as hard to find on shelf.

a few drops on mdf wont affect the mdf just rub of quickly and dry and you be fine, .

you can use spray adhesive like m3 but i never could get on with them as pattern used to peel of unless you got exaxctly right , some guys on here use them i think but they are expensive and strong fumes and imo a bit messy, pritt stick is cheap and it never lifts of but make sure pritt stick power in metallic .

what i meant with MDF was if you cant sand it because it will mark the smooth surface of your letters with it being a smooth hard finish on the MDF if that makes sense. i never really worked with it so dont know if you can sand light sand the surface of it, i know you can sand the edges but if you painting your letters you may be able to light sand the surface if any pattern still hard to peel off.

Latest posts

Back