Which Router?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmp

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello

I have a ½” router which is great for heavy jobs but I would like something lighter to use for jobs such as rounding edges of shelves, cutting small rebates, hinges on doors etc.

I was thinking either a 1/4” router or a laminate trimmer. Can anyone advise which they would get for jobs like the above and to complement a half-inch router?

If I go for a ¼” model I was thinking the DeWalt 615 but am a bit put off Dewalt tools as they only offer a one year warranty when nearly all the other professional makes offer three.

For a laminate trimmer, maybe the Bosch GKF600?

Any suggestions on which option to choose and which models would be gratefully received!

Thanks

Richard

I've used the bosch in industrial workshops and think it's great, I'm planning to get one to compliment my t11 as soon as cash allows, if you go for it, get as many bases as you can with it. The angled base and plunge bases are particularly useful.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

I have a bosch laminate trimmer an Elu router and a Makita trimmer and my favourite at the moment is the Makita Elu second and Bosch last.

DSC_0005_zpsf8c0b7c8.jpg

I bought the Makita because the rise and fall worked a treat and the Bosch doesnt work at all but the Bosch does have good balance and in use . Ive had the Bosch for quite a few years and never once used the angled base .

DSC_0311_zps1d528b3c.jpg

I would recommend the Makita although i have only had it a few months so early days yet . If you can visit a tool shop and view both tools you could see that the Makita is a better quality .Hope this helps Cheers Bern :D

Hi deserter and bern,

Thanks for your replies. So I take it you would both recommend a laminate trimmer over a 1/4" router to go with my 1/2".

Looking at them both I think I like the Makita more, soft start and plunge. Bern, is your one the RT0700C, and does this seem like a good deal?

http://www.onlinepowertools.co.uk/prod/ ... 14-trimmer

seems very good value, but are there any other bits I need to go with it?

Looks good for edging and hinges etc., is it up to cutting small rebates / channels etc.

Thanks,

Richard

I have the RT0700C with no accessories as i have the Elu for plunge work and wouldnt use the tilting base . Bought it from my local tool shop for £120 an impulse buy . You could buy a very nice second hand Elu for less than the price of the extras .

Cheers Bern :D

I have had the Makita with all the bits except the offset base for about a year now and it has earned its keep a hundred times over. I love it to bits. Just 2 comments
1... I have never used the tilt base.
2... I have no idea what the difference is between a laminate trimmer and a router.

rmp":3981j009 said:
Me again!

Been looking some more and the previous link I posted doesn't come with some useful parts.

This does:

https://www.londonpowertools.co.uk/elec ... t0700cx2$2

And is still cheaper than a decent 1/4" router. And the video demonstration is very compelling.

Any thoughts chaps?

yep, it's the CX2 you want, the other doesn't have the plunge base. You won't regret it. If Heineken did laminate trimmers........... :mrgreen:

Grahamshed":3981j009 said:
I have no idea what the difference is between a laminate trimmer and a router.

Apart from the laminate trimmer being more compact I don't think there is much difference.

I have the makita as well, works very nice, use the plunge for small jobs, and the fixed for edge work. A laminate trimmer is just a small router. One of the attachments came with mine CX3, was a bearing guide for edge work and laminate trimming, however you don't need that if you have bearing bits. I mostly use mine for edge treatments, roundovers and such, as it's nice and light. The other thing I really like is the fact you can set it upside down on its head. I too looked long and hard at the dewalt, and was close to getting it when the makita hoved into view. I do have a 1/2" dewalt and it's really good so it probably wouldn't be a bad buy, but makita seems to be winning out here.

I have a dewalt 625 on the table and it does its job well but... it is a job to explain but desalt seem to me to have stood still, they do not have the finesse of Makita ( and no doubt others )

Grahamshed":23zs89ov said:
I have a dewalt 625 on the table and it does its job well but... it is a job to explain but desalt seem to me to have stood still, they do not have the finesse of Makita ( and no doubt others )

What do you expect from a cost cutting American company like Stanley Black & Decker? DeWalt tools these days have the same internals as B&D, assembled in the same factory under the same QC. :roll:

MMUK":nv0cb42v said:
Grahamshed":nv0cb42v said:

What do you expect from a cost cutting American company like Stanley Black & Decker? DeWalt tools these days have the same internals as B&D, assembled in the same factory under the same QC. :roll:
Sad, but probably true.

I'm sold on the Makita, now the decision is the base kit for £100 or the complete kit for £200?

Would this be man enough to route grooves with the plunge base (i.e for bookcase shelves) or would that be better with a dedicated 1/4" router? I like Berns comment that the saving would get a decent second hand elu (maybe a MOF 96). But I am a bit wary about buying second hand power tools off auction sites - I bought an Elu a while ago described as "perfect working order" and the baseplate was warped and it just wobbled about.

On the subject of Dewalt tools - I've never owned any as I've always bough Bosch, Metabo or Makita. But I do find it worrying that they only offer a one year warranty on most of their range whilst the others all offer three years and that puts me off.

I have done fairly long 18mm rebates when building cupboards and a fair few mortices for the same reason. To be honest it has coped with everything I have thrown at it. But I wouldn't put big cutters on it. (probably wouldn't be available in 1/4 inch anyway )

Plunge base is fine, just don't be too aggressive. It also depends on other needs,eg I have three routers set up for different frequent jobs so I don't have to change all the time and can retain settings over a project. So you may find having it set up permanently to do round overs is easier.depends on money and space and types of work. I also have a trend 8mm and they are both fine with smaller sized cutters. Just don't try a one inch wide dado housing in one go!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

rmp":1v9oxzqb said:
I'm sold on the Makita, now the decision is the base kit for £100 or the complete kit for £200?

Would this be man enough to route grooves with the plunge base (i.e for bookcase shelves) or would that be better with a dedicated 1/4" router? I like Berns comment that the saving would get a decent second hand elu (maybe a MOF 96). But I am a bit wary about buying second hand power tools off auction sites - I bought an Elu a while ago described as "perfect working order" and the baseplate was warped and it just wobbled about.

On the subject of Dewalt tools - I've never owned any as I've always bough Bosch, Metabo or Makita. But I do find it worrying that they only offer a one year warranty on most of their range whilst the others all offer three years and that puts me off.

Hi Richard
I think your best bet is to go for the standard base kit . You will be paying an extra £100 just for the plunge base ,use your 1/2 '' router for the heavy stuff and keep to the one handed operations for the Makita thats really what it is designed for.I have seen a Elu MOF 96 in the for sale section ,better to buy from the forum than EVILBAY which is always a gamble.If your not keen on second hand and the £200 burning a hole in your pocket go for two standard Makita routers better value than the plunge kit and two is allays better than one isnt it ?

Hope this helps Bern :D

Just thought I would follow up on what I decided in case this helps out anyone else reading this later in the same position.

I took Bern's advice (thanks for that Bern!) and bought the (brand new) Makita without the plunge base for just shy of £100. I also bought a second-hand Elu MOF 96e. Note that the "e" means variable speed and soft start, something I didn't know until I started looking into it. There are also various models, some made in Switzerland and others in Italy although all the reviews I can find say anything "Elu" is good. Mine are both made in Italy and seem great.

So my current set up is:

Elu MOF 177e (1/2")
Elu MOF 96e (1/4")
Makita RT0700CX

I am really happy with this set-up and should cover all my needs, and so now I can get to work... hold on, now I need a router table :)

rmp":34alo1da said:
hold on, now I need a router table :)

Then you'll be needing another 1/2 inch router so you don't have to keep taking it in and out.
A big advantage of having a dedicated one for the table is you can remove the plunge springs which makes height adjustment much easier I find.

Latest posts

Back