Which router table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olivetree

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been looking at getting some sort of router table as i need to make some handle less kitchen doors.

I like the look of the Kreg prs 1040, but its a bit pricey and i would want a router in it permanently as i use mine quite a bit.

What about some thing like this?
http://www.kendaltools.co.uk/cgi-bin/trolleyed_public.cgi?action=showprod_F60100A

Or has anybody got details on how to make a good DIY one.

where are you? If all you need one for a one time use then maybe use someone else's. Saying that I have a DIY one I no longer use if your close to me.

I would say its one thing any wood worker should make there own of, it makes a nice project.

For the price the Rutlands table would be the table of choice, although more portable, the one you are looking at is a bench top table and that means a smaller working area, the floor standing table is A. more stable, B. larger working area.
To build your own would perhaps work out more than the Rutlands table
Sheet birch ply £60
Insert £30
Plus track and sundries and a whole lot of pain fitting the insert etc.

My advice for what it's worth would be the Rutlands table

I'm currently deciding wether or not to go for that Axminster table. I have a pretty crappy DIY one that I built just with an MDF top and the insert from Axminster.

Was thinking about building something but am struggling to find a suitable material for the top; wanted some kind of laminated MDF but just can't find anything suitable that isn't loads of money.

I'd heard reports that the fence on the Axminster one was far from 90 degrees.

Thing is, by the time you buy the insert and tracks you're not far off the price!

I bought the Rutlands Dakota deluxe router table last Easter. The insert is pretty good (has grub screws to level it) and the base is sturdy, with room for a large shelf underneath. The top was ok as well. However the fence was absolutely rubbish - I started to shim it with masking tape and hardboard but gave up when I still had a 1/4" to go. Made my own in about 40 minutes from MDF and angle brackets, which is straight and square to the table.

My table top swelled when it got rained on because my shed roof leaked, so I first made a replacement top from a kitchen worktop but stupidly didn't brace the underside so it sagged with the weight of my router.

I'm now in the process of making a new top from 2 layers of 18mm MRMDF laminated together. I plan to brace the underside with MDF webbing to support the weight of my router.

Although I'm replacing the original top (again :roll: ) I still think it was worth buying the dakota just for it's base, insert plate, T-tracks, hardware and dust extraction cowl.

Hope this helps,

Mark

scubadoo":2ygla8c7 said:
Was thinking about building something but am struggling to find a suitable material for the top; wanted some kind of laminated MDF but just can't find anything suitable that isn't loads of money.

I'd heard reports that the fence on the Axminster one was far from 90 degrees.

That's the other trouble with self build, finding an absolutely flat piece for the top with laminate fitted or fitting laminate and keeping it flat, #-o if it doesn't work first time it could be costly, and two 18mm mdf boards will need some serious clamping and left for a couple of days, I made the table then fitted one mdf board flat before I glued the second onto that (then there's the cost of some Formica, I've only seen it sold in full sheets) I wouldn't trust kitchen worktop. I used Mermaid board (only 'cos I had access to a piece)

Shouldn't be a problem making your fence 90degrees to the table, just chuck a shim under the angle iron at the rear where it clamps to the table (you will rarely find a fence at 90 deg. without some adjustment)

The Rutlands table, at that price, would save a lot of heartache you would soon learn to adjust for any foibles, the same with any new piece of kit.

Defiantly swaying towards the rutlands table, looks pretty good for the money.

what router would you recommend i run in the table, i've got the festool of2200 but dont really want to use it in a table as i would like to leave it in situ

Back