which reasonably-priced dust extractor/vac?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strawbale

Reaction score
I'm new to this site and read some of the buying advice/tips - very useful, thank you all!

Still, I'd like other forum members their advice for my set-up/use (most used first):
* a small compound mitre saw (Metabo KGS 301) with a 32/25mm (ext/int diam) suction outlet
* a small circular saw (Makita 5703RK) with a 38/31 suction outlet, sometimes fixed under a bench and thus used as table saw
* a jigsaw (Bosch GST135BCE) with a 29/25 suction outlet
* cheap (no-name) sander with a 38/32 suction outlet, possibly replaced with a better one soon

I mostly cut (and very occasionally sand) soft wood that I use our (house) building project (frames for partition walls, wood-panelling, parquets, etc). Additionally, I'd like to use it for clean the workshop and building site (with larger items items removed by hand a/o brush/broom).

I've been looking at the Record RSDE2-A, the Numatic XP200-S and NV750 (no power socket), but am open to any other suggestions up to around £200.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Peter

Thanks for your feedback Shane.

I've continued reading up on this topic on this forum and came across good experiences with the Trend T30AF, which I found for around £180 so far - so I may go for that one.

Hi Peter,

If you just want to take the hassle out of tidying up it might be worth looking at a chip extractor which are usually much cheaper (do check that it has a metal impeller though). If you vent it through a wall and put the bag on the outside it will also clear the air of fine dust.

I bought one from Wickes for £50.

Its good but a bit noisy

Matthew - I have a chip extractor and have been thinking of making an mdf box for it to keep the dust from recycling around the shop? Or is there not enough air for the motor?

Peter, I've got this Makita one: HERE and use it everyday, very good piece of kit in my opinion, although I have nothing to compare it too! Found one on the bay for £120. But they generally go for about £160ish. :)

I guess it depends on how portable you need it to be, but if it's staying in the workshop and you think you may expand your range of fixed kit I'd consider a twin motor extractor like a DX4000 or DX5000.

They're around ~£270 but they're potentially more future proof as they are LVHP like the T30AF so you can use with power tools (with the vac pipe kit) but the extra motor gives them enough suck to be useful for small planer/thicknessers, band saws etc.

superunknown":34fa5wvr said:
I got a NILFISK-ALTO AERO25-21, a month or so ago. around £120. Very good for the price.

http://www.dm-tools.co.uk/product.php/s ... LTAERO2521

Another vote for the Nilfisk, here.

I used to own a Record RSDE2-A. It was great, but also, very noisy. By comparison, the Nilfisk vacuums are much quieter and even 'bearable' without ear defenders. It would keep your neighbours happy and it comes with all the accessories for general housework so, this is one purchase your wife couldn't dispute! :D :wink:

My only slight issue with it is that, as soon as the switch the power tool off, the vacuum cuts out at the same time. Most other extractors will run on for an extra 6-10 seconds, so that any remaining fine dust is cleared from the hose. If possible, I might also look at the next model up (for the sake of storage capacity), unless you really wanted all the extras?

Hope this helps. :)

A big thank you to everyone's "two cents" (pences?) - I'll definitely look into all suggestions.

It's unlikely I'd expand my workshop tools into the (semi-)stationary side, but could end up getting a router later on in our project.
I'll definitely use the vac for cleaning up the workshop ànd the interior of the house whilst still under construction, the latter mainly producing dust as it's new-build and primarily wood (panelling, floorboards etc.), so a mobile thing with power socket seems the most useful choice to me. Ideally it releases hardly or no dust, especially when cleaning up in the house, as I'm slightly allergic to dust etc. I normally where disposible masks (P2), found some than are not too bad-fitting (I've got glasses), but after reading mainly positive reviews here about the Trend Airace half-mask I'm seriously considering that.

PS, what seems useful features on the Trend T30AF (apart from normal vac features):
- you can change between fine and normal filters, depending on what you'd use it for
- the 6sec run off
- the extra long hose (5m), so I could have the vac outside and still connect up to a power tool in the workshop
- you can connect a larger diameter hose, for instance to connect to a router (table)

Selly - I see that wickes vacuum is down to £39 now. Although I plan to get a full dust extraction system such as the DX5000 with fine filters as soon as I can. I would still need a general workshop vac, and I also have to place an order with Wickes anyway - so would you say it's worth it? Any problems with it?

Cheers,

Charlie

Yes mate it works very well - pretty simple really.

I'm sure there are better but at the end of the day not a lot to wrong with it and its got a decent enough suck for about 95% of the work.

That price is a very good one

Another vote for the Makita - it even just about keeps up with my thicknesser !!

cjp":3bik74xl said:
I see that wickes vacuum is down to £39 now. I would still need a general workshop vac, and I also have to place an order with Wickes anyway - so would you say it's worth it? Any problems with it?

Cheers,

Charlie

That is a rebadged earlex, you'll get no trouble at all with that, I'd have one in a shot at that price, infact I might get one as a spare for when I'm fitting in customers houses

Latest posts

Back