Which Random Orbit Sander + confusion over Festool...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miles_hot

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just finished applying some Epoxy as a barrier coating over teak ply - it all went well but the roller has left stipple marks in the glossy finish. I want to sand these out and then work through the grades to get back to a glossy finish.

I am assuming that a Random Orbital Sander is the thing to do this and some research on here seems to throw up the Metabo 450 as well as the normal Festool references. Some mention is made of Dewalt and the possibility of punching your own sheets or perforated paper. The Dewalt ROS (D26410) seems to be very similar to the previous version of the Metabo for a little less money. I can't seem to find any DIY sheet punches though for the circular base etc.

I am assuming the a small orbit = fine work and the smaller the orbit the finer the sanding or is that the wrong way around? I like the Metabo's dual orbit as I like a tool which is competent at more than one thing. I will be intending to buy the Pro kit with the polishing capability.

I am also terminally confused by the lack of reference to ROS on the Festool site - I don't know if I should be looking at Gear Driven eccentric, Eccentric or Direct drive orbital sanders! I would like to be able to do very fine work + more aggressive removal to extend the value of the tool - doing some polishing buffing type work would also be good.

So can the assembled wisdom:
1) point me at the punches for the Dewalt (and even better the Metabo) papers
2) suggest which of the Festool range I should be looking at
3) Correct me if I am looking at the wrong Dewalt (I'm assuming it is the D26410)
4) correct any errors in my understanding so far!

Many thanks all :)

Miles

The Festool Rotary sanders you want are the RO90 and RO150, they do the normal orbital sanding but switch them to aggressive mode and they remove as much material as a belt sander. The other models, the ETS ones just do orbit.

miles_hot":3exkg0c6 said:
. . . 1) point me at the punches for the Dewalt (and even better the Metabo) papers

Use the hermes multi hole discs from Axminster or abranet discs and you won't need to worry about punching the sheets. However I have a Dewalt palm sander which can use cut sheet from a roll and this came with a punch so this may be the case for other Dewalt sanders too.

Chems":34enxbpd said:
The Festool Rotary sanders you want are the RO90 and RO150, they do the normal orbital sanding but switch them to aggressive mode and they remove as much material as a belt sander. The other models, the ETS ones just do orbit.

When you say "Orbital" did you mean "Random Orbital"??

Miles

I have the Metabo 450 and can't complain. Might be an idea to buy some Abranet discs - with good extraction you'll get minimal dust and with Abranet - holes aren't an issue.

HIH

Dibs

miles_hot":h09czqpz said:
Chems":h09czqpz said:

When you say "Orbital" did you mean "Random Orbital"??

Miles

Yeah just random orbital. The Rotex motion of the Festool ones takes out the orbital and is just a spinning disc.

Chems":3eolnw50 said:

The aggressive mode or rotex rotary motion, does not remove as much as a belt sander.

If you are after festool the ets150 is probably the better one for you, but i believe alot of the lads prefer the Mirka.

In my opinion the rotex is overated

Top marks for the Metabo sxe 450 Turbo Tec, I am in the process of painting a sculling boat and it has been great at rubbing down between coats.
I have just finished the hull with 1200 wet or dry and then 2000, when I cut it back with some G3 paste it came up like glass.
The lambs wool mop fitted to it worked a treat.
Merlin.

mark270981":2lmp46sd said:
Chems":2lmp46sd said:

The aggressive mode or rotex rotary motion, does not remove as much as a belt sander.

If you are after festool the ets150 is probably the better one for you, but i believe alot of the lads prefer the Mirka.

I've not had a go on one, Its just something you read:

http://idvwdesign.blogspot.com/2011/04/festool-rotex-sander-review.html":2lmp46sd said:
Since buying the Rotex, my belt sander hasn't seen the fluorescent light of my shop.

https://sites.google.com/site/bestcheapbuytools/festool-ro-150-feq-rotex-sander-in-t-loc-systainer":2lmp46sd said:
In "rotex" mode the sander flattens the panels as quick as a belt sander,

http://www.festoolproducts.com/Festool-571823-RO-90-DX-Rotex-Sander-p/571823.htm":2lmp46sd said:
Festool RO 90 Rotex changes into an aggressive, starved for wood, almost belt sander like, monster!

http://www.rockler.com/articles/festool-rotex-sanders.cfm":2lmp46sd said:
hybrid incorporating the best features of the all business belt sander and the more surface friendly orbital and random orbit sanders,

merlin":1jfix4zb said:
Top marks for the Metabo sxe 450 Turbo Tec, I am in the process of painting a sculling boat and it has been great at rubbing down between coats.
I have just finished the hull with 1200 wet or dry and then 2000, when I cut it back with some G3 paste it came up like glass.
The lambs wool mop fitted to it worked a treat.
Merlin.
I'd be interested in knowing where you got the supplies which went beyond the normal 320 etc grades :)
Thanks for the recommendation
Miles

I'm now very interested in the the Festool 90DX with the ability to also be a delta sander however the saving over having to buy an additional sander isn't much :) The thing that I'm struggling with at the moment with the lovely 6" discs is that I've got a section of the cabinet which is only 60mm wide to be sanded - I'm assuming that the delta sander would be able to get into that as well as the internal corners on the unit.

If I can't swing the extra money its good to know that the Metabo is a good bet and I might just have to do some hand sanding in the corners :) Unless there is a technique for using a sander on it's edge etc???

Miles

Chems":3r28dui6 said:
mark270981":3r28dui6 said:
Chems":3r28dui6 said:

I've not had a go on one, Its just something you read:

http://idvwdesign.blogspot.com/2011/04/festool-rotex-sander-review.html":3r28dui6 said:
Since buying the Rotex, my belt sander hasn't seen the fluorescent light of my shop.

https://sites.google.com/site/bestcheapbuytools/festool-ro-150-feq-rotex-sander-in-t-loc-systainer":3r28dui6 said:
In "rotex" mode the sander flattens the panels as quick as a belt sander,

http://www.festoolproducts.com/Festool-571823-RO-90-DX-Rotex-Sander-p/571823.htm":3r28dui6 said:
Festool RO 90 Rotex changes into an aggressive, starved for wood, almost belt sander like, monster!

http://www.rockler.com/articles/festool-rotex-sanders.cfm":3r28dui6 said:
hybrid incorporating the best features of the all business belt sander and the more surface friendly orbital and random orbit sanders,

fair enough

The rotex isn't that great, very heavy, tiresome to use in rotary mode. Extraction is great though. But a good belt sander will beat it hands down in all departments regarding the quick removal of material (wood - never used it on solid surfaces ie corian)

I have the luxury of using these bits of kit, its the ETS150 everytime for me the rotex stays in its box.

If you want to go the whole hog, then get the Mirka CEROS 150mm ROS. I'm not speaking from experience, but I've read glowing reports about it. When I next get a lump of dollar that's not already allocated for something in the 'shop then this is what I'm getting. I have the Metabo, but the only thing that lets it down is the weight when using for long periods of time, especially if using it vertically, as I imagine with all other ROS'. But the Mirka is supposed to be extremely easy on the arms. Worth a Google it if you'e not already aware.

Cheers _Dan.

Well at the moment it is coming down to the Mirka or the Metabo with 70 odd quid in it.

Is there anywhere I can buy a punch which will make perforated discs from sheets? I'm getting bored of looking at listings for pre-perforated discs in Google - is there a technical terms I'm missing here?

I'm assuming that I can use the sander as a polisher - anyone think that's a dumb idea? :)

Miles

If it helps, when I bought my Metabo I got the deal with 100 discs with it for £179.00.
Merlin.

For some info on the Mirka Ceros:

http://festoolownersgroup.com/other-too ... os-sander/

They're a bunch of Festool "fanatics" there, but they do sometimes like some other brands, too. :lol:

However, on the hole puncher for the sanding paper - do you have a huge stack of sand paper lying around that you want to get rid of? If not, I would also seriously recommend the Abranet/AutoNet products - if you buy them in packs of 50, they aren't even that expensive. Top notch product, lasts very long compared to ordinary sand paper and the dust removal is excellent (and you don't need to punch holes in anything).

Thanks JanneKi - I'd found that and it was one of the things that make me look carefully at it :)

The boxes of 50 are good value but it is just a little frightening when you start to add up the costs of getting all the grits :)

Miles

Back