A gap in my knowledge - orbital sanders

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pallet Fancier

Established Member
Reaction score
I've never had one. I have several sheet sanders, and some weird angled things for getting into corners, an multi tools with sander attachments, but none of the round orbital ones.

Do I need one? Are they that much better than sheet sanders, for which the sheets are cheaper?

I'll be helping a friend sand down his boat for painting. Would an orbital be better than a sheet sander for that?

Nothing to add really except I just bought a Metabo 125mm complete with case for 40 quid on Amazon, which is a good deal and I thought worth mentioning.

Yes, random orbit sanders give a better finish and are much faster in use. I only use cheap pads from CPC which work out at 20p a piece. At that price I don't worry about the cost but it's probably lower than most papers.

I have invested in one of those pad protectors after hearing stories of the pad overheating and melting the velcro, it's easier to replace the protector than the wheel. It's never happened to me but the additional cushioning of the protector is an additional benefit.

Well, following the advice in this thread, and after checking the price on Screwfix, I took myself down to the purveyors of the green tools and have yet another green tool in my collection! (Don't tell my therapist, or he'll organise another intervention!)

Ive a metabo 6" orbital sander it has two orbit sizes 6-3mm always plug the Henry Hoover in which keeps disc clean stops bit clogging it up which overheats them and base, variable speeds also. Great bit of kit
DeWalt has this version now

I've never had one. I have several sheet sanders, and some weird angled things for getting into corners, an multi tools with sander attachments, but none of the round orbital ones.

Do I need one? Are they that much better than sheet sanders, for which the sheets are cheaper?

I'll be helping a friend sand down his boat for painting. Would an orbital be better than a sheet sander for that?

Hello,
Some advice for when it comes to sanding your boat. Anti fouling paint should not be sanded because the dust is highly dangerous to inhale. It is recommended that one uses an anti fouling stripper which is a gel that one applies and is then washed off, and not washed into the sea. I have met persons who used the sanding method and they have been laid up recovering for a week from inhaling the dust.
Regards

Even better than a standard random orbital sander is one that can be switched into geared mode as they can both take rough wood down extremely fast and get a mirror finish, that combined with the R/O function is extremely valuabl. The only drawback, apart from cost, is that they are heavy.
On the subject of sanding supplies, using high quality paper pays for itself in reduced paper changes and time that it cuts

Hello,
Some advice for when it comes to sanding your boat. Anti fouling paint should not be sanded because the dust is highly dangerous to inhale.
Hence my earlier comment about wearing a serious face mask when sanding a/f. Maybe even a ventilated one like wot chimney sweeps wear.

Hello,
Some advice for when it comes to sanding your boat. Anti fouling paint should not be sanded because the dust is highly dangerous to inhale. It is recommended that one uses an anti fouling stripper which is a gel that one applies and is then washed off, and not washed into the sea. I have met persons who used the sanding method and they have been laid up recovering for a week from inhaling the dust.
Regards
It's so old, the jet wash removed most of it and a scraper will suffice for the bits that are left. The sanding is for taking the primer off, above and below the waterline.

Latest posts

Back