Which powertool to get first?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh what fun we have on here, so many opinions, so many options.

If you are prepared to use sized PAR timber from your local merchant then a chop saw is the first thing you need, if you want to size the timber yourself from sawn sections then you need a table saw and something to smooth the face and edge's, this could be a large sander of some kind, but if you want to size and thickness the timber you need a planer/thicknesser, a bandsaw can do a lot of this with a bit of jiggery pockery and a few surreptitiously made jigs, your options are manifold, but IMO the first thing you need to decide is what you want to do with the timber you are going to buy, personally with your budget IMO a table saw and power plane/aggressive sander with get you started, but it will be hard work and possibly wasteful without the right gear.

Mike

roflson":1s8zw1rk said:
At this point I have no desire to become a master at squaring wood by hand, I'd rather get to the 'fun stuff' as they say. If that means saving up and buying better stationary tools then that's what I'll do instead, rather than get frustrated at spending a whole weekend squaring 4 pieces of wood.

Don't want to put you off, but there's no shortcut - you have to be able to square a board by hand if you want to make anything worth looking at. That's why pretty much any decent woodwork course will have you making a breadboard (for example) before any fun stuff!

cowfoot":31b89z6i said:
roflson":31b89z6i said:
At this point I have no desire to become a master at squaring wood by hand, I'd rather get to the 'fun stuff' as they say. If that means saving up and buying better stationary tools then that's what I'll do instead, rather than get frustrated at spending a whole weekend squaring 4 pieces of wood.

Don't want to put you off, but there's no shortcut - you have to be able to square a board by hand if you want to make anything worth looking at. That's why pretty much any decent woodwork course will have you making a breadboard (for example) before any fun stuff!

Hi roflson - I started working with wood recently and like you see preparing wood as just a means to an end. But one thing I didn't expect is the pleasure there is in working with wood and hand tools without any particular end in mind. You can take a grubby, rough-sawn piece of wood and with a few passes of a plane reveal incredible patterns in the wood, wonderful smells and sounds. And yea, I find it pretty frustrating spending all weekend planing six sides and not getting them square (I did the bread board exercise a few weeks back, found it challenging and frustrating when it warped again over night!) but it's getting better, and that feels good too. So i guess it's about enjoying the journey as well as the destination if you can? And I'm not saying don't use power tools to help.

cowfoot":3es8yfww said:
Or get a planer thicknesser ?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

The problem with skipping over the basic skills is that you'll soon find yourself stuck. Before long you'll need to square a component that's too short to safely pass over the power planer, or you'll want to flatten a jointed up top that's too big to pass through your thicknesser. And it's using a bench plane effectively that sets you up with the knowledge and confidence to then use a block plane to chamfer the ends of a leg, or a shoulder plane to get the shoulders of a mortice and tenon joint snugged up really tight, or a router plane to mortice in a hinge with perfect accuracy.

More importantly, if you're going to make anything worthwhile from solid timber you need to get your patient head on. In furniture making the tortoise will always, and I mean always, beat the hare! If you really don't think you can play that role then you'd probably be happier following a different path.

Turning is a good alternative if you're a man in a hurry. You can go into your workshop and an hour or two later walk out with a finished bowl.

Or focus on sheet goods woodworking. Get a track saw and a Domino and you're good to go. The learning curve is much shorter than with solid timber woodworking and you can produce cabinetry to a professional standard after just a few weeks of experimentation.

But if you pursue solid timber woodworking with a mindset of rushing to make progress then I promise it won't end well.

ColeyS1":2ocrm490 said:
cowfoot":2ocrm490 said:
Or get a planer thicknesser ?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

It's taken me more time to get my cheap planer working/deal with its limitations than it took me to learn how to plane four square...
The set up time for machines is often a bit pointless when you're just knocking out single items in a shed.

As a beginner myself, my first question here was similar to yours. What table saw, Mitre saw, band saw should I get for my budget. I got some good advice, for sure, but after a bit of thinking and a bit more research I realised I was getting ahead of myself and wanted to be an expert from day one with all the fancy machines the youtube guys have.

I decided to focus on relatively good quality hand tools first and learn the basics and I'm glad I did. I mean, are you really a woodworker if you can't use hand tools effectively? Maybe you have hand tools already, but you could always add to the hand tools you have and continue from there?

I spent some money on some japanese saws, marking and measuring kit, chisels and a hand plane and very happy I did. You can make most of the things you mentioned in the OP easily with these and get decent tools within your budget without becoming frustrated with cheap machinery - which people often say is the case.

Sure, I hope to add some big machines down the line, when budget allows and the need or want is there but for now I've been very happy and got a lot of enjoyment from the hand tools.

Just my thoughts from a fellow newb.

I recently started "woodworking"..mainly out of necessity, (repairing a rotten conservatory). I had a few tools, my first one which I got years ago was a mitre saw..and it got used a lot to make "garden furniture" type stuff...but next to useless for conservatory repairs.

I then got a "cheapie" Aldi bandsaw..and this is now my most used piece of kit. If / when it "breaks" I will be getting another (probably a bigger / better quality Record (300).

In between both I got a Record disc sander, (the 300mm one), and this to has proved invaluable for making "finishing touches" and squaring up ends of timber and getting bits just the right length..(I am not very skilled).

So I guess it really depends on what type of woodwork you want to do...

..if I was starting out again and wanted one bit of kit I think it would be a bandsaw...but thats just in my extremely limited experiences to date..

good hunting...

It's a site tool rather than a workshop tool, so it sacrifices accuracy for portability. Depending on the model it may be noisy as hell. Most important of all, it's an order of magnitude more dangerous to use than a bandsaw.

It'll get the job done, but it's about as far away from the bucolic dream of relaxed and leisurely woodworking as you can get, and if your background is office work then I guarantee there will come a moment with this machine that you will foul your trousers!

Do a search on e-bay, there is a Wadkin combination machine @ £450 latest bid.

Mike

roflson":2rkwhfpy said:
Hi all!

I'm new here, and to woodwork. I've been dabbling here and there but nothing too serious. I've mostly been cutting things up with a jigsaw and doing things that don't require too much precision such as making raised beds in the garden.

I've just been on an evening woodworking course where we did a lot of the basics, joining wood, various joints.

However something that was always glossed over, was preparing the wood, as it was always either already done, or if we needed to cross cut a square edge on something, he would just fire up the table saw and it was done in seconds.

The things I have on my list to make are: Boxes (small and big), shelves, bathroom cabinet, perhaps a chicken run.

From this list, I would like to 'accurately' rip and crosscut. I put apostrophes around accurately because I realise for the money I want to spend right now, I may not get super accurate cuts.

My long term goal is to have all the tools, a table saw, band saw, thicknesser, jointer/planer, etc.

I've kept fighting with myself over which tool to get first and keep switching between them.

If I only wanted to spend £200 today on one of the above tools, which should I start with? I was thinking about getting the Titan tablesaw from screwfix as a 'my first table saw'. But some reviews of it are good, and some of the reviews say it should be thrown away. I'm not sure if it will just frustrate me as I'm unable to set it up properly, especially given my lack of experience.

Thank you!
Paul

Thats one of the best beginner posts I've read on here. You've got the right idea from the start in my opinion.

The machines you've listed are all pretty major purchases and the choice of which to buy would largely depend on what you already have and your ability with hand tools. Out of the list, I'd say for smaller piece work, the bandsaw would be without doubt the most useful. A heck of a lot can be accomplished with one but, and here's the rub, it does need to be accurate, especially for box making. I'd also say that the cuts a bandsaw is able to make, such as long rip cuts, are one of the hardest to accomplish with hand tools.

I'm not going to point you to a £200 bandsaw, because as you rightly identified, it will end up frustrating you, sooner rather than later.

However, if you are prepared to save a little more, you could probably source yourself something like an Inca Euro 260, used of course as they are no longer made, but, if you looked after it, it would last a long long time. Properly set up, they are extremely accurate and you'd be able to cut veneers, which for box making, I gather is very useful.

Another tool to look at may be a decent mitre saw, which will help with cross cutting in lieu of a table saw. Of course it depends on the size of stock you wish to work with and the space available to work in. I'd be looking at Bosch or Makita for a mitre saw. Again, they are out of budget but believe me, until you're able to buy a decent one, you're better off learning how to use a quality cross cutting handsaw properly. Cheap ones very rarely cut square and it will water you off, it did me!

So I'm going with this advice:

Save a bit and get an Inca 260
A decent bench plane, maybe an older Stanley No.4 from ebay and learn how to refurbish it and sharpen the blades.
Look into a mitre saw for later, but learn how to cross cut with a handsaw for now. Veritas make decent ones and they aren't enormously expensive. You may also wish to consider a track saw. Dont forget, with the right method, a bandsaw can be used for crosscutting too, subject to capacity.

Patience is key to woodworking and you are right to be considered in your approach.

Back