which Plane?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpooley

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok i admit it I am a machine tool junkie :oops:

I have an old and mediocre Jack plane and ditto block plane which hardly get used cos they are rubbish.

I want to treat myself to a clifton plane but dont know what to go for,

So if you only had one decent plane what one would you want?

BTW i have a jet jointer and a jet thicknesser :oops:

Mike

Hi Mike,

My first decent plane was an adjustable mouth low angle block plane, a 60-1/2. I have since acquired a number of other decent planes but the little 60-1/2 is still probably the one I use the most. A low angle jack plane is also a versatile plane but I don't use mine as much as the block plane.

Hi Mike--Alf's question is one of the things only yourself can answer and is the main key to finding whatever you purchase useful.

I do offer an observation. Most of the people who have taken classes I have been involved in where machine-based woodworkers were investigating hand tool use fall mainly into two groups. And you presently have both the planes they go for and find useful.

One group tends toward a quality block plane for easing edges, chamfering and cleaning up joinery (such as leveling DTs to a carcass or drawer side). The other found more use in using a jack to follow the jointer, removing the little ripples left behind following the jointing of edges. Too, they often find use on a shooting board for squaring edges (following a CMS/SCMS or table saw).

But...if I were you and only wanted one, I would list the types of things to use a plane for and see which would be a better fit for you.

Take care, Mike

Mike,

I sought advice from the forum earlier this year when I acquired my first plane. The Lee Valley (Veritas) Low Angle Jack Plane.

I am very pleased with my plane, which is easy to use and set-up.

Popular opinion, which I would endorse, is that this is a very versatile plane, and therefore a good first choice.

Hope this helps.

The trouble with planes is that they become very addictive and I have to admit that I have since purchased a few others. :)

Cheers, Esc.

Hi Mike,

It has to be a #7 every time. You can do virtually everything with it. I have the Clifton #7 (and 3 others :) ) and it's a cracker. If I had to get rid of all my planes and keep just one, that would be the one.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Hi Mike if you have the jointer and thicknesser, it's not likely you'll be planing board lengths by hand.
I suggest the Clifton 410

Dom

Hi Mike,
As others have noted, you have a jointer and a thicknesser, and these may see you through most situations.
There will probably be times when a particulsr piece of wood just won't co-operate and you will need to attend to some hands-on smoothing.
I have quite a few handplanes that I can turn to, but if I could only have one, I would probably opt for the very first plane I ever owned - a Stanley 4 1/2.
For twenty years this was my only handplane, and I did everything with it. I guess it has kind of grown on me. Because there was no other plane at hand, I learned to get the best out of this one, and can use it instinctively in almost any situation. It is great for smoothing and the extra heft has been a bonus in terms of momentum in difficult grain. It is also a useful shooting board plane.
In case it isn't already obvious, I love using my 4 1/2 - it's an old friend.
Regards
MC :wink: :wink: :wink:

Reading through this thread, Mike, the answer's becoming obvious - you'll just have to work your way through the catalogue until you have a complete set of planes like the rest of us :lol:

Paul

Back in August 05 (Ive just checked the date - 2 years ago) I asked a very similar question - which plane do the great and good recommend. At that point in time I was just pushing off from the side really.
I now have;
Stanley 9 1/2 block
Stanley No 4
Record 4 1/2
Woodie scrub
Woodie fore plane
LV LA Jack
LN 7 1/2
Record 405
A Philly made Shoulder plane.

So you see resistance is futile.

Cheers Mike

So very, very few planes. How do you ever cope? :wink:

Scrit

as a newbie surely a jack plane is the best option? Can do almost any job you like. I would add a small apron block (veritas - because of the square sides). That should serve almost all of your needs.

ByronBlack":3m50jjqu said:
as a newbie surely a jack plane is the best option? Can do almost any job you like.

I really do think that a #7 is a better all-round plane than a #5 or #5 1/2. It is better on a shooting board (the greater weight helps considerably). It is undoubtedly better on long pieces. And, particularly if it is a good one, it can be used very well on small work.

But the only real way to find out which one suits a particular person best, is to try them out.

Paul

Can you come to the Festival of Wood at Westonbirt Arboretum, August Bank Holiday? Just about every modern plane will be there ready for you to use. Fun day out too.

Martin

Paul Chapman":28ghhcyr said:
I really do think that a #7 is a better all-round plane than a #5 or #5 1/2
But it's pretty darned useless when you're doing any installation........ and ruddy heavy to boot

Scrit

also, a No.7 is not really ideal for initial stock prep - just too heavy IMO. A jack can be used as a scrub and then as a smoother, and can be used for longer periods due to its lightness. Don't get me wrong, I love my No.7 but lately i've been reaching for my 4 1/2 a lot more often these days (I wish I had a good no.5).

Scrit":34kojvzh said:
Paul Chapman":34kojvzh said:
I really do think that a #7 is a better all-round plane than a #5 or #5 1/2
But it's pretty darned useless when you're doing any installation........ and ruddy heavy to boot

You are absolutely right, Scrit :wink: I should have added to my comments "in the workshop", which is what I meant.

Paul

It's just that I'm out tomorrow installing and the size of my kit is critical as I'm in a car with two others (the van has already gone off stuffed to the gunwhales with the job) - so minimal kit! And a #7 certainly isn't on my list (although the L-N #62 is)

Scrit

Which is why the original question is almost impossible to answer. It all depends on what you want to do with the plane. And it's why most of us end up with a workshop full of them :wink:

Paul

Paul Chapman":1lsbo6c6 said:
Which is why the original question is almost impossible to answer. It all depends on what you want to do with the plane.
Aaaaaaaaarrrrrrggggghhhhhh! ](*,)

Sorry, I felt that needed to be screamed... :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Latest posts

Back