Which oscillating multi tool

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zak99

Established Member
Reaction score
Time to treat myself to a multi tool. Some years ago I used a Fein with quick release blade (by a lever). It was good.

There's been some development since then with various starlock blades.

Any tips on buying please, I'm not full time work but like good quality tools. Cordless is always nice but not sure I can justify the cost in this case.

Rgds

I recently purchased my first multitool and chose the Fein, I am impressed with it but have no experience of other cheaper makes. The reports I read seemed to recommend buying the tool with the smallest arc of vibration since this would be the most controllable.

I can also highly recommend the Fein, mine is 7 years old and has been used mainly for removing plaster cornice so its regularly covered in fine dust, I give it a hoover and clean after use and it's surprised me how long it's lasted, it's one tool I'd never be without, I just wish the blades were a bit cheaper I've tried many different brands but mainly use fein or well cut blades.
It will be replaced with a new fein when it eventually expires

I've got the green Bosch PMF 190 which I think has been superseded by the 220 and I was given a Fein multimaster recently. The Fein is much nicer to use as it vibrates less through the hand and the blade change is tool-less. Having said that the Bosch did me well for years and has doen good service. I've also heard good things about the Worx unit but not tried one.

I've also got the green Bosch and I find it fine (sorry!). But I've now had 2 separate goes at the Fein and it does vibrate MUCH less than the Bosch.

So if you can afford it I'd suggest the Fein though (over here anyway) they're nearly twice the price of the Bosch, which being a "DIY tool" is often discounted in the DIY Emporia.

Re blades, Aldi have some cheapos in store from time to time. They're not brilliant but last a reasonable time for a hobbyist. I find they're good enough to use for at least a couple of jobs and cheap enough to throw away afterwards.

"But any road up" any such tool very much falls into the category of "how ever did I manage without one of these?" so I'd say go for it - "it" being the best you can afford.

HTH

AES

I have the green Bosch and it just comes in so handy for those awkward cutting and sanding jobs. It does vibrate, no arguing with that, and it is certainly noisy enough to warrant ear muffs. I paid about £70, but have seen the blue Bosch ones on offer for only about £20 more. If I was a trade user I would definitely go for one of the Fein packages - the one I was considering buying had blades, sanding fingers, dust extraction etc for not much more that the cost of the unit alone. I have no doubt a Fein would outlast my Bosch several times over, plus the keyless tool change is nice to have.

Overall I would say, get one, they are really handy. If you anticipate only occasional use then get a blue Bosch for about £90 - £100. If you anticipate really using it in anger then get a Fein. But definitely get one.
Just one point - they don't sand as well as a delta sander ( so I'm told - no experience of delta sanders) because of the way the head moves, oscillating instead of orbiting. Also if you do use it for sanding, keep the speed down to mid way else you can melt the plastic sanding plate. I melted mine and I found Axminster sell Fein plates cheaper than Bosch ones.

Finally, the green Bosch kit box is about as cr@ppy as they come.

K

I recommend the Worx F30.

I did have a Bosch GOP250 (blue) but the Worx is in a different league - good build quality and wider angle of oscillation, meaning it cuts considerably faster.

It comes with a three year warranty and a keyless blade changing system, which I thought was a bit gimmicky at first (the lever is called something stupid like "Hyperlock"...) but now find it so much better than an Allen key.

I paid £58 for it from Homebase, though you may find a better price online.

Mark

Worx f30 or f50 if feeling flush

I used fein machines for 10 years. Heavy trade use the new 350q i killed twice. when it was in for repair i bought a f30 as a stand in. When the 350 came back it went on ebay and i bought a f50. Both still going strong more than a year later.. feins were lasting 6 months

Oh and it cuts about twice as fast as the 350q. The 350q has very low vibration but to achieve that theres a massive trade off in accuracy. The blade just wanders all over the place like its on a spring

There has been no major improvements since the original Fein, everyone else has just copied, the Multimaster is a major improvement, just bite the bullet and buy the best right from the start.

Mike

MikeJhn":2hy3ow7u said:
There has been no major improvements since the original Fein, everyone else has just copied, the Multimaster is a major improvement, just bite the bullet and buy the best right from the start.

Mike

i beg to differ

the f30 is a leap and the f50 a step up again,

its like the difference between the multimaster and the supercut

to quote Mark "wider angle of oscillation, meaning it cuts considerably faster"

i used to use these machines to undercut 20 to 30 linear meters of pitch pine a job you would normally use a jamb saw for but when the floor isnt level the only way to get it neat is a multi tool, anyway that could be described as a torture test, and when using the multimaster not only for the machine but for the user, the f50 however ripped through it, it was at least 2x as fast and also never died doing it where as the feins would last 6 months doing that every other day.

the worx is the only multitool ive used that doesn't mind being pushed, with the rest you really have to take it easy and let the tool do the work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvyHgYX0hl0

I have tried Worx (tough but vibrates up your arm like nobody's business) and Fein (vibrates less). Worx cuts faster, Fein is easier to control as it vibrates less. The starlock system is fantastic: blade swap literally takes two seconds.

This last weekend I have been using the Fein to trim cross braces in oak framing (basically to correct measuring cock up ;-) when the frame is already assembled and I am making adjustments. Up a ladder this is so much easier than using a saw and chisels. I have a current, corded Fein and I also use Fein blades. I can't comment on longevity as I am using mine as and when I need it - which is not every day. That said, I would not want to be without it now.

I treated myself to a Makita 18v cordless without batteries because my drill/driver is also a Makita. I've nothing to compare it to but it does the job and I haven't noticed any unwanted vibration. The battery does add a bit of bulk to the rear end but I got used to it. A great tool and one I wouldn't be without now.

A general point about controlling the blades when initially plunging in: place a finger on the flat part of the blade and the gentle force prevents it from wobbling too much.

Alexfn":ptrkyc2m said:
MikeJhn":ptrkyc2m said:

Mike

the worx is the only multitool ive used that doesn't mind being pushed, with the rest you really have to take it easy and let the tool do the work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvyHgYX0hl0

That video is impressive, and they are not expensive either, may have to get one just to compare.

Mike

I use the Dewalt 18v XLR cordless.Loads of power and as I only use it occasionally I just use one of my drill batteries.

Would definitely buy another of the same in the future.

Phil

Some great advice here, many thanks. I ended up with the Fein. The excellent tool shop (Toucan) near the job I'm on had Fein, Makita, Dewalt( I think) and Festool (ouch ££). They were also saying Worx are bloody brilliant but that Worx have stopped the professional range in the Uk. Not sure if thats right but just passing it on.

The first job i had for it was cutting some stubborn screws. Well the metal/wood blade never touched em and i had to resort to a hacksaw blade in a padsaw !!!

Bought one and the vibration is something else, not with my Arthritic hands, sold on already, the Fein Multimaster is still my go to tool.

Mike

I brought a used 250 Fein with loads blades for £50 I was impressed and could buy cheap blades. Fast forward and it broke brought a 350 gutted that it wouldn't take cheap blades. Only starlock. £10 per blade yikes . Anyway I brought a coarse Bosch Japanese starlock blade cheap.....wow through 2×4 in seconds...amazing really.
Eventually I found some cheap blades to for them crappy jobs.
In short the 350 is very capable esp with good blades.

Latest posts

Back