Multi Tool Blades for Metal

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bristol_Rob

Established Member
Reaction score
Guys

I have a question about blades.

I've paid good money some Fein carbide metal blades
Fein 63502236210 35mm E Cut Carbide Pro Plunge Cut Saw Blade

I've been cutting 5 mm stainless steel rods for a current project I'm working on, and they are well quite frankly - rubbish.
They just wear to nothing almost immediately. Think I got 1 or 2 cuts from a new blade.

But I've been cutting these rods with the same (Erwin) hack saw blade and have probably cut 100, and it's still going strong.

So what gives??

How can manufactures make a hack saw blade that goes on for ever but can't make a multi tool blade for metal?

I'm seriously considering tacking hack saw blades to the end of used multi tool blades. Should work right?

Any thoughts understanding? I'm I doing something wrong (I'm using speed 2 on the tool)

Felt good to get that off my chest ;)

It's the wrong tool for the job. The multi tool oscillates around 3-5mm and so in general when cutting metal, you are using only a few mm of blade. Once the teeth start to wear the blade is captured at that point, which makes matters worse.

I use a multitool for snipping off nails and screws quite often, but repeated cuts of stainless is asking a lot.

As AJBT says, wrong tool for the job, I'd use an angle grinder with a 1.2mm cutoff wheel, maybe in a cutoff stand if you're doing a lot.

Wrong tool for the job.
Makes sense

Angle grinder - why didn't I think of that.

Thank you guys.

If ok with you, I'll blame you both to the wife when I order another power tool 😆

Back