Which Lathe?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteWizard

Established Member
Reaction score
Good evening all. I'm looking at purchasing a new lathe. After a good amount of searching I've narrowed it down to either the Record Power Coronet Regent or the Twister FU-180. I'm hoping some people on here have experience of either of these lathes and would be wiling to share your views both good and bad.

I've just signed up at a local turning club. They've decided to standardise on small Record lathes as they're affordable and small enough to pack away in cupboards, but they have a Twister and a Wivamac for big projects. The chap who most uses the Twister definitely likes it :)

Last edited:
Hi
Previously I had a Tyme Cub but about 18 months ago I bought the Twister from Simon Hope and I'm very happy with it.
Its very smooth and quiet compared to my Cub, I've not had a chance to use every setting and I mainly do spindle turning but I'm really glad I bought it.
A fellow turner down the road has had to down size from a large fancy Jet lathe and he's also gone for the Twister.
Cant comment or compare to the Record though.
Iain

I've just signed up at a local turning club. They've decided to standardise on small Record lathes as they're affordable and small enough to pack away in cupboards, but they have a Twister and a Wivamac for big projects. The chap who most uses the Twister definitely likes it :)
Thank you.

Hi
Previously I had a Tyme Cub but about 18 months ago I bought the Twister from Simon Hope and I'm very happy with it.
Its very smooth and quiet compared to my Cub, I've not had a chance to use every setting and I mainly do spindle turning but I'm really glad I bought it.
A fellow turner down the road has had to down size from a large fancy Jet lathe and he's also gone for the Twister.
Cant comment or compare to the Record though.
Iain
Thank you.

I've recently upgraded to a RP coronet herald, the smaller version of the one you are looking at, and I am very happy with the build quality and performance. The add-ons, outrigger and extension bed should you want to do big things, seem expensive in relation to the main machine. I have added the former, not the latter. As I am. getting older I value being able to index the head around 30 degrees or more and deep hollow from in front of the machine rather than spending ages leaning over the bed.

I've recently upgraded to a RP coronet herald, the smaller version of the one you are looking at, and I am very happy with the build quality and performance. The add-ons, outrigger and extension bed should you want to do big things, seem expensive in relation to the main machine. I have added the former, not the latter. As I am. getting older I value being able to index the head around 30 degrees or more and deep hollow from in front of the machine rather than spending ages leaning over the bed.
Another Coronet Herald owner. I did shell out for the extension, partly for when I get 'better' at turning but mostly to slide the tailstock out the way when it's not needed.

Thank you.

I did shell out for the extension, partly for when I get 'better' at turning but mostly to slide the tailstock out the way when it's not needed.

I removed the 'stop' under the bed and just take the tailstock off if its in the way, but my last lathe had an extension and I agree it's a good approach. In 3 years I never really used the extension for long things, just as a place to put the tailstock. I think the Herald extension is c £130 so I gave priority to the outrigger. You can go so far with the standard banjo but it is a bit limiting.

Thank you all for the info. I've decided on the Record power and will be ordering it shortly. Due to having the longer bed as I'd like to turn my own walking stick/cane. So the bed extension will be on the shopping list. Plus I will be going for the outrigger to have the option of being able to turn larger items or just to be able to make it more comfortable when turning bowls. I'll drop a pic once I have it set up. Again thank you to you all for the input.

I removed the 'stop' under the bed and just take the tailstock off if its in the way, but my last lathe had an extension and I agree it's a good approach. In 3 years I never really used the extension for long things, just as a place to put the tailstock. I think the Herald extension is c £130 so I gave priority to the outrigger. You can go so far with the standard banjo but it is a bit limiting.
My previous lathe was a second-hand DML250 which came - and subsequently left - with an unused bed extension. Removing the tailstock was easy enough, putting it back on was a pain, hence the decision to opt for the extension on the Herald. Maybe because it's a more expensive machine, removing/reattaching tailstock on herald much easier than on DML250.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the help. I now have it all set up and have been having a play with a small piece of cherry. It's such a lovely large bit of kit it's so quiet and smooth.

Attachments

• 20230227_143026.jpg
    20230227_143026.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
I got down to these two a well. The twister was a long way away to see / use so went for the Regent which has been great but think either will / would be great for owners I think.I struggled to separate them but went Regent with all the toys in the end.

I got down to these two a well. The twister was a long way away to see / use so went for the Regent which has been great but think either will / would be great for owners I think.I struggled to separate them but went Regent with all the toys in the end.
What swung it for me was the slightly longer bed as I'm hoping to have a go at turning my own walking stick/cane.

Back