which is best knife for marquetry?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt@

Established Member
Reaction score
as per the title, what is the best knife and blades that money can buy for marquetry cutting!

I think I would prefer a round handled knife to a flat one.....

I tend to make my own marquetry knives when I need one out of old or broken hacksaw blades, you can grind them to the profile required and they hold a very good edge, simply taping a piece of dowel that has been split down the middle onto the sides with masking tape makes a good handle and can be re-used time and time again.

I have 2 sizes of swan Morton scalpels and a number of different blade profiles, never found a need to use anything else. All my marquetry has been the "window method" using fairly thin veneers though.

I was introduced to it by my wifes uncle who was a heart surgeon and got his scalpels free :wink:

Bob

Lons":2hzqqath said:
I was introduced to it by my wifes uncle who was a heart surgeon and got his scalpels free :wink:

Bob
Hope he washed them before bringing them home :lol:

Hope he washed them before bringing them home :lol:

I never saw any blood on them (except my own occasionally) #-o
Not sure he washed them before taking back into to operating theatre though :wink:

Bob

I always have found that Swan Morton scalpels ideal for marquetry
I prefer the metal handles (but they are not round).
My local chemist orders packs of blades for me.
Non-sterile blades are cheaper, but still packed in sealed packets.
A useful hint from a Canadian marquetry website is to "back-off"
the top corners of the blade making tight curves easier to cut, see attachment
Cheers John

Attachments

• blade.jpg
    blade.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 6,555
thanks for all the input - doesnt look like theres a magical knife out there thats a big secret!! The trusty swan morton it seems to be then and to that end, I've bought 10 packs sof blades as I have the handle already. I must be honest, I've never really got on with the swan morton knife I don't know why....

You don't happen to be left handed do you Matt@. The blade in an SM holder is canted in a way which suggests to me that although good for right handers could be awkward for lefties.
xy

Hi Matt@, It isn't the handedness then. It was just a thought.
As for a round handle, would added scales help, bits added to the flat handle of the Swan Morton.
xy

Someone has posted a link above to the only round handled marquetry knife you will get, it's the Ernie Ives craft knife, you will find it on Amazon for a few squids.

Andy

xy mosian":1ueyf2e1 said:
Hi Matt@, It isn't the handedness then. It was just a thought.
As for a round handle, would added scales help, bits added to the flat handle of the Swan Morton.
xy

At various craft fairs (on varying craft stalls) I've seen people using scalpels with the handle augmented with strategically placed and shaped polymer clay (e.g. Fimo)

BugBear

i've now been using the SM scapel to reaonably good effect - at least the blade steel is good quality unlikie stanley blades that break off and blunt with the least effort...

Latest posts

Back