Which course, Paul Sellers or Peter Sefton

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never been on a woodwork course (unless you count my apprenticeship) and am not likely to but if i were to go on one i would be more inclined to the cabinet making end of the spectrum. I have watched Paul Sellars youtube videos and enjoyed them; he reminds me of a joiner i knew years ago who taught me a lot. The thing for me is that he has been called a master craftsmen by some, but if he is, then i have known a few master craftsmen in my time. He does the basics well from what i have seen of his work and is passionate about hand tools and what he calls proper woodwork but he is no better or worse than half a dozen carpenters and joiners i have worked with over the years. He has done well out of social media and good luck to him, it's better than working for a living. £50 for a 2 hour talk? Not for me.

I don't know of Peter Seftons work and maybe i should watch some of his stuff for a comparison. I would be more inclined to go on this course as it's furniture based, unless i am mistaken.

As for Peter Sellers. he's rubbish at woodwork but your comic timing would improve no end.

Yes Peter Sellers was rubbish; his second wife was quite nice though

Britt Ekland
d7228718b2e4982e8a132b6190246177.jpg

Estoril-5":1q7l0zh8 said:
Mr T":1q7l0zh8 said:
Estoril-5":1q7l0zh8 said:
Excuse my ignorance but I've never heard of Chris tribe, I'll google him.

That's strange as you posted on a thread about my courses last month https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/funiture-making-courses-with-chris-tribe-t88883-15.html

Chris
Looked through the thread couldn't find a post on there from me, although my memory isn't what it used to be.

I'm new to all this so trying to do some research before spending some cash.

Your post was made Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:03 pm, and was replied to. You thanked the replier's post.

BugBear

[/quote]

Your post was made Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:03 pm, and was replied to. You thanked the replier's post.

BugBear[/quote]

Just had a quick trawl through and see the post you're referring to (it wasn't the thread Chris posted and hence the confusion).

So, having asked about Peter and Paul, and now realising some have said Chris, have I missed any other potential tutors?

My knowledge is limited so I'm sure I have......

P.s. thanks for the introduction Chris T

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

skipdiver":1qypuwl6 said:
I have never been on a woodwork course (unless you count my apprenticeship) and am not likely to but if i were to go on one i would be more inclined to the cabinet making end of the spectrum. I have watched Paul Sellars youtube videos and enjoyed them; he reminds me of a joiner i knew years ago who taught me a lot. The thing for me is that he has been called a master craftsmen by some, but if he is, then i have known a few master craftsmen in my time. He does the basics well from what i have seen of his work and is passionate about hand tools and what he calls proper woodwork but he is no better or worse than half a dozen carpenters and joiners i have worked with over the years. He has done well out of social media and good luck to him, it's better than working for a living. £50 for a 2 hour talk? Not for me.

I don't know of Peter Seftons work and maybe i should watch some of his stuff for a comparison. I would be more inclined to go on this course as it's furniture based, unless i am mistaken.

As for Peter Sellers. he's rubbish at woodwork but your comic timing would improve no end.

I have done very little on YouTube as I spend pretty much all day everyday on the bench with my students, my first real venture onto the screen will be in a couple of months time. I have been working with Artisan Media who Paul sellers was launch by a few years ago. We are currently editing a series of DVDs to be launched in the new year, watching yourself is a little weird, only time will tell how it is perceived by the public but I feel my approach is quite different from Pauls.

Cheers Peter

Peter Sefton":46kfars0 said:
We are currently editing a series of DVDs to be launched in the new year ... I feel my approach is quite different from Pauls.
That's just given me a mental image of a cross between Clarkson and Colin Furze: "Right, let's lob this b*stard through the biggest thickness planer we have. POOOOWWWEEEEEER!"

Ok... maybe not; but I'm sure there'd be a market for that kind of woodworking video :wink:

Peter Sefton":3is2n4cu said:
skipdiver":3is2n4cu said:

I have done very little on YouTube as I spend pretty much all day everyday on the bench with my students, my first real venture onto the screen will be in a couple of months time. I have been working with Artisan Media who Paul sellers was launch by a few years ago. We are currently editing a series of DVDs to be launched in the new year, watching yourself is a little weird, only time will tell how it is perceived by the public but I feel my approach is quite different from Pauls.

Cheers Peter

Thanks for that Peter. I have since watched a couple of snippets of yours and it's more the sort of thing i'd be inclined to sign up for if i felt the urge to go on a course. Paul's work is a little basic for someone like myself but i've never had the chance to do any furniture making beyond some basic stuff and would like to learn a bit more. Will look forward to your DVD's.

That's just given me a mental image of a cross between Clarkson and Colin Furze: "Right, let's lob this b*stard through the biggest thickness planer we have. POOOOWWWEEEEEER!"

Ok... maybe not; but I'm sure there'd be a market for that kind of woodworking video :wink:
Just search for Tommy Mac! There was a very funny collaboration between him and The Woodwhisperer a while back and you have never seen such different approaches to presenting and teaching styles. Marc used to have it on the Woodwhisperer website but I think he pulled it due to embarrassment!

Skipdriver, I'm no Paul Sellers fanboy, but do you know that he has two pieces of furniture in the Whitehouse? Just outside the Oval Office. Maybe that's why he's been called a Master Craftsman :D
The stuff he does on Youtube is mainly for getting people started off in woodworking. He does courses for more advanced woodworkers too.

skipdiver":soscoz3n said:
Peter Sefton":soscoz3n said:
skipdiver":soscoz3n said:

Cheers Peter

Thanks for that Peter. I have since watched a couple of snippets of yours and it's more the sort of thing i'd be inclined to sign up for if i felt the urge to go on a course. Paul's work is a little basic for someone like myself but i've never had the chance to do any furniture making beyond some basic stuff and would like to learn a bit more. Will look forward to your DVD's.

Another vote for Chris Tribe, I have done a number of his courses and attended his evening classes for a couple of years now.

I reckon that is the best recommendation I can give for both his courses and the evening classes.

Hugh

andypa":2id32pwf said:
Skipdriver, I'm no Paul Sellers fanboy, but do you know that he has two pieces of furniture in the Whitehouse?

Is there anyone who doesn't know...? :mrgreen:

So anyway, Paul is 80 miles each way from home, Chris is 83 miles each way from my parent's home near Penrith, and Peter is a mere 17 miles, so certainly on ease and cheapness of access Peter wins!
Having said that, there's a lot to be said for trying different teachers and styles, so I may yet visit Ilkley too (without my hat of course).

Peter Sefton":1z02bs56 said:

Cheers Peter

Thanks for mentioning Artisan media Peter, to my shame I had not heard of them before and I see they have an online shop which I'll have a look at later.

I find it interesting that you are working with them on DVDs. Of late there have been a number of threads on here about whether a market for instructional DVDs still exists, or whether they have been hounded out of existence. Some have taken the position that DVD is an outdated delivery method now superseded by downloads, some have taken the view that nobody will pay for content with the vast amount of material being turned out by YouTubers.

We still buy DVDs in our family, even for our tech savvy kids who (maybe influenced by their parents) still like having something tangible. I also watch a lot of YouTube content and it is of variable quality. However, I would categorise it as entertainment and sometimes informative, but not instructional or educational. So personally I think there is a market for high quality instructional DVDs, but whether that is a market of just one I can't say. However, I guess Artisan Media are better placed to take a view and they must think there is one as well.

Anyway, best of luck with the DVDs.

Terry.

NickN":wq2blm5d said:
andypa":wq2blm5d said:
Skipdriver, I'm no Paul Sellers fanboy, but do you know that he has two pieces of furniture in the Whitehouse?

So anyway, Paul is 80 miles each way from home, Chris is 83 miles each way from my parent's home near Penrith, and Peter is a mere 17 miles, so certainly on ease and cheapness of access Peter wins!
Having said that, there's a lot to be said for trying different teachers and styles, so I may yet visit Ilkley too (without my hat of course).

I didn't know he had furniture in the Whitehouse until i read this thread.

I'd recommend buying the Sellers book but not doing either course.
nb Sellers is weak on design (look at his Whitehouse thing :roll: ) but very good on tools, techniques, economy, and his bench is the bees knees.

PS take a look at Chris Tribe courses post1101872.html#p1101872 he mentions rods and drawings which in my opinion are the most important thing for any aspiring woodworker to get to grips with. The magic key to everything!

http://www.christribefurniturecourses.com/

Mind you these people should be paying for the publicity!

Is Dave still at it in the west country somewhere?

Halo Jones":3va6lxcb said:

Just search for Tommy Mac! There was a very funny collaboration between him and The Woodwhisperer a while back and you have never seen such different approaches to presenting and teaching styles. Marc used to have it on the Woodwhisperer website but I think he pulled it due to embarrassment!

The mix between Clarkson and Furze would be fun but I think I would need to stand to close to the contact adhesive first. I guess I would be closer to The Woodwhisperer than Tommy Mac, walking around the workshop with a Cuban cigar and a selfie stick just isn't me.

Cheers Peter

NickN":3vdkekyu said:
andypa":3vdkekyu said:

Pop in and say hello on Saturday if you are free, some of my current students and their work will be here in a mini exhibition and you can take a look at the workshops.

Cheers Peter

Jacob":3na1dgb1 said:
PS take a look at Chris Tribe courses post1101872.html#p1101872 he mentions rods and drawings which in my opinion are the most important thing for any aspiring woodworker to get to grips with. The magic key to everything!

http://www.christribefurniturecourses.com/

Mind you these people should be paying for the publicity!

Thanks for the mention Jacob, where would you like me to send the Postal Order!

Chris

Jacob":26jf07ey said:
I'd recommend buying the Sellers book but not doing either course.
nb Sellers is weak on design (look at his Whitehouse thing :roll: ) but very good on tools, techniques, economy, and his bench is the bees knees.
Hate to admit it, but I do think you have a point on the design front.

Jacob":26jf07ey said:
PS take a look at Chris Tribe courses post1101872.html#p1101872 he mentions rods and drawings which in my opinion are the most important thing for any aspiring woodworker to get to grips with.
Rods is a new one on me. Any links/books/references to help my understanding?

Halo Jones - I did look up Tommy Mac. Didn't seem that crazy to me, but compared to Furze we're all sane ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back