Which Chainsaw?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave,

I went over to BlackWood Chainsaws and picked up a refurbed Husky 350.

A perfect saw and very reasonable price.

Bar length wise I have a 13" and 18" bar but the 13" does all I want and with the 350 has bags of power.

Having had a Husky I would never consider a budget saw again, it is really fab.

Drop me a PM with your contact number if you want to have a chat about it.

Simon

I've got a Husky 13" as well. Got it at a discount a few years back at a show and the only problems I have is the chains. Don'y buy cheap ones they aren't worth it and blunt very quickly. IMHO it isn't worth buying a cheap one. Also, unless you intend to start cutting trees down (not reccomended without training and experience) you are unlikely to need anything bigger.

Pete

I used to use a McCulloch and it was hopeless - I spent most of my time trying to start it and sharpening the chain. I recently bought a Stihl. What a difference - worth every penny :D

Cheers :wink:

Paul

I am on my second Husky and they work like a damn. Make sure to buy good chains as well. We use Oregon chain over here. There is no such thing as a cheap chain saw.

Dave,

Out here the preference is for Stihl, pretty much all the loggers and forestry guys swear by them. Of course we are running big saws and big bars as we need them for the size of timber we harvest.

There is a big difference in power ratings on the various sizes of saw, you are better off with more power and a shorter bar than trying to run a smaller cc saw with the maximum bar recommended.

I have a Stihl 360 with 18" Oregon bar and chain that's 10+ years and have had no problems, its worth the extra when you look at it over the long run.

Trevor on the wet west coast.

DustyDave":2gv1j4nn said:
My rather rubbish (but free) black and decker electric chainsaw gave up the other weekend. I discovered today that I really can't do without a chainsaw. I use it for woodturning and firewood. I'm out at least a couple of times a year collecting wood. Because of this I really need a petrol chainsaw.

Can anybody recommend a chainsaw? Some recommendation on bar length would be good as well. I don't want anything cheap. Ideally something which is easy to get serviced locally. Spare parts must be available.

Also has anybody got any views on reconditioned saws. Just had a quick look at some of the stihl saws and they get very expensive. Really don't want to spend more than 300 quid.

Cheers,

Dave

double your budget and get a sthil- £300 isnt enough for a good quality saw imo the cheaper one's wont last and will only give you grief

I recently got a secondhand Stihl, and it's been good.
Husqvarna seem to have been recommended a lot, but remember that they are now part of Electrolux who also make Maculloch and a lot of rubbish. I had to contact Husqvarna in the UK recently, and a less helpful bunch it would be hard to find. Fortunately, our local agents seem to know more than Husqvarna themselves.
Just another opinion.
And if you are prepared to buy secondhand, medium size Stihls fetch around £180 up here.

Dave,

I use a Husky 136 and have done for a number of years but have to agree with Dick regarding customer service since Electrolux took over, so on that basis I'd probably recommend a Stihl. When I worked for the local countryside service a few years ago we used Echo and Sachs-Dolmar and occasionally Jonsered, have to say that I preferred Echo but probably out of your price range.

If going down the Jonsered route i would also be careful regarding aftersales because I think I heard a whisper some time ago that Electrolux have something to do with them as well but I may be wrong.

Steve

cornucopia":16a3gsbd said:
double your budget and get a sthil- £300 isnt enough for a good quality saw imo the cheaper one's wont last and will only give you grief

no need to double your budget to get a stihl - the 261 is under 300 notes as is the 241 and the 361 is only a tad over 400

the list prices on the stihl website suggest otherwise but most dealers sell them much cheaper than list.

Cheers Dave, good to meet you too - Hope it gives you many years of service, I have an 023 (which is my personal property rather than works) which I bought in '99 and is still going strong ten years later - though it doesnt see much use now i have the work MS361

If you have any questions about using it, sharpening et please feel free to bell me.

hmm which reminds me I need to sharpen mine. That'll give me something to do tomorrow...

Dave,

Thanks was the place but glad you are sorted.

I only got my saw from them, I use Nailsworth Garden Machinery for all parts / service.

They are on the A46 approx 1 mile outside Nailsworth on the Stroud side. Excellent folks and dealers for Husky, Sthil, Echo etc (all the decent makes, no toys).

Well done and be careful!

Simon

We used to have some trees in the back garden! :lol:
IMG_8350.JPG

DustyDave":vzofzv0q said:
We used to have some trees in the back garden! :lol:
IMG_8350.JPG

nice - one point tho as you dont have propper chainsaw boots its a good idea to flop the trouser cuffs outside the tongue of your boots to give a measure of protection to the top of your foot ;)

I recently bought the mcculloch petrol chain saw from B&Q

MAC 838 at Gbp 139.98

You can get it probably somewhere else cheaper

Used it a lot, charpend it a lot, and then bought a new chain for Gbp 17,- and some other chains (2 for a Gbp 10.

This saw is aweseom, I cut some big trees, and feel very confident with the machine, (you feel very quickly over confident) the machine has lots of power, and the bar lengt of 35 cm is long enougth, i cut trees with a diameter of 0.50 to 0.60 mtr

I was impressed very impressed how easy it is to use, how quick it cuts and the shorter bar makes it very easy to handle. i use to have an eletric one, but no no no ,this is it

It is much lighter then an electric one, and trust me when you standing on a ladder every pound counts

http://images6.theimagehosting.com/DSC_0063.0cb.th.JPG

Latest posts

Back