Which blade for 4mm perspex ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Claymore

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Can anyone tell me what would be the best blade for cutting 4mm perspex (nothing fancy just an outline) ? also would you suggest sandwiching it between something or using sticky tape to cool the blade? my main concern is it melting and sticking to the blade.
Cheers
Brian :)

Any fine blade without much set is best, Is this small cuts or cutting up sheets?
Fine tooth tenon saw, fine blade in a jigsaw, supporting the sheet is important, and try and not stop when cutting, a continuous operation seems best.
Where I learnt my trade, we had literally stacks of perspex and cut it with a fine tooth, 30" bandsaw
I use masking tape if the original protective sheet is missing, good to mark out on and seems to help avoid break out.
You can plane the edges on any planer, but treat like ply and plane one end for 2 ", and turn it around and plane the rest,
or it can break out too.
HTH Regards Rodders

Cheers Rodders!
Its nothing exciting just a 6" guard for my vacuum forming machine so basically a 6" round shape, I have quite a selection of blades to try out and will stick some masking tape on :cool:.
Its given me some other ideas for a project too so watch this space lol
Cheers
Brian

I have no clue about the blade, but loved the photos. I desperately need to holiday in Scotland again. The photo of Easdale brought back some great memories.
Sam

Samfire":1uouxojx said:
I have no clue about the blade, but loved the photos. I desperately need to holiday in Scotland again. The photo of Easdale brought back some great memories.
Sam

Isle of Skye is the place to go.......Paradise !!! (well......... close to Celtic Park)

Totally agree I love it on Skye and everyone should visit there at least once in their lifetime.... I love riding motorbikes all the way up west coast right round to John o groats and then return back across Sutherland through the mountains :cool: paradise

skronk":3nz4mcv8 said:
Samfire":3nz4mcv8 said:
Sam

Isle of Skye is the place to go.......Paradise !!! (well......... close to Celtic Park)

No chance Harris Rules :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I always use Flying Dutchman #3 Polar blades at a slow speed. Let the blade do the work and don't push the work into it. Because they only cut in one direction there is not the same friction, so no melting behind the blade and no chattering on the upward cut

Latest posts

Back