Which Bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeddedhed

Established Member
Reaction score
It's time for me to invest in a 'proper' bandsaw.
I'm looking to spend around £1300 - £1500 and would ideally like to get a machine that can handle about 6 hrs a week usage, and can cut a decent 3 or 4mm slice from a 200mm board. It needs to be single phase.

I don't have the time to play around with an old machine getting it set up and the like, nor do I have the patience or skills - I just want a machine that works and has commonly available parts etc.

It will also be used for fine work, so the ability to take a nice narrow blade would be essential (1/4")

I've been on the 'phone to Scott and Sergeant who seem to be totally uninterested in helping out, saying that anything single phase is for hobbyists.

I'd be very keen to hear from someone who has a machine that meets these criteria and is prepared to give an honest account of it. Even better if you want to sell it!! :D

I have an axminster plus saw. I forget the model number but it has 4300 in it, and is a few years old- the new equivalent is in the industrial series. I am confident that it will do what you are asking of it, although you wont get as much change from your budget as you used to, although I bought it secondhand.

I dont know what the felder or hammer machines start at, but if I had money to spend, I would have a look in that direction, not that I am in any way disappointed with my own.

Having just read a previous post, you already have some Felder gear- there is some advantage that you can use the extension tables across the range of equipment, I believe.

The options usually end up between
Hammer N4400
Axminster 4300
Record BS400
To be honest the Record came tops for me and several others on here because it is good value, a powerful machine, equal depth of cut to the others above and runs on a 13 amp plug

I bought the Jet JWBS-16X from Axminster a year or two ago and its been a great machine, gets more than 6 hours use a week and hasn't had any problems. Single phase, 13 amp plug, £1300 with free delivery. Happy days.

I've got the Axminster Trade machine - their code 501200. Very happy with it. 240v but 16amp - no problem with my supply. I would be happy to buy the same again.

Zeddedhed, you were talking about coming over to me next week and you would be welcome to play with it the. If you want to make an earlier decision, ring me and come over tomorrow/weekend.

MartinCox":s0qeez39 said:
I've got the Axminster Trade machine - their code 501200. Very happy with it. 240v but 16amp - no problem with my supply. I would be happy to buy the same again.

Zeddedhed, you were talking about coming over to me next week and you would be welcome to play with it the. If you want to make an earlier decision, ring me and come over tomorrow/weekend.

Thanks for the offer Martin. I don't need to decide just yet. I will come over next week though for sure. Are we still on for Monday at mine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. I'll be there around 0930. With all the planes, Cosman saw etc. I prefer Earl Grey, butter croissant with Maman raspberry jam but understand what I'll get is your workshop coffee!

MartinCox":3kf9jqqq said:
Yes. I'll be there around 0930. With all the planes, Cosman saw etc. I prefer Earl Grey, butter croissant with Maman raspberry jam but understand what I'll get is your workshop coffee!

with added MDF protein particles - proper workshop coffee!!

Zeddedhed":283ntfhu said:
I don't have the time to play around with an old machine getting it set up and the like, nor do I have the patience or skills - I just want a machine that works and has commonly available parts etc.

If you buy a new machine you won't have any choice but to set it up. On the other hand if you get something like a good used Startrite not only will you be getting a good quality machine but it will already have been set up by the previous owner.

If you want new for other reasons though maybe something like this?

http://www.startrite.co.uk/index.php?se ... 20Bandsaws

Back