Bandsaw Motor - cautionary tale !

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suspect your original motor might have had problems for one of two reasons:
1. Centifrugal switch which removes the start winding from circuit might have (intermittently) stuck. This would not be picked up during a rewind.
2. Lack of cooling due to sawdust build-up in the windings and or fan housing.
In your position I would look for a new motor and find a local metalworking guy to make an adaptor if a standard motor won't fit directly.

https://inverterdrive.com/group/Single-Phase-Motors/TEC-Single-Phase-Motor-1-1kW-1410RPM-4P-90F-B14/Where are you in the country?

Scotland, nr Stirling

If it is an old machine then it may well be better built than the modern stuff and all round a better machine, anyone else thinking along these lines?

So it could be worth the effort to get it up and running, new motor cost is prohibitive so look at a rewind, if that is not an option forget the original motor. What sort of drive belt is it? The Record machines use a poly vee belt which requires more tension than a v belt so a different tensioner but another option.

If you look at this taken from the Record 16 inch Bs400 manual that motor (30) is four bolt face mounting, it fits directly to the case wheras yours has the tensioning plate. Compare the two, yours & the Record on the right. At this point do not worry about the pulley as that should be easy to resolve.

1646938471268.png
1646938237626.png

These budget bandsaws from e.g. record power, jet, axminster all seem to have similarities. I wouldn't be surprised if they all originate in the same chinese factory. Why not give record power a bell and see if their motor will fit.
Erm, it says Taiwan on the plate! :D

Bearingboys, got the same pic as i posted plus about 6 others, including one showing the shaft length, diameter, keys slot etc, and it was them who quote £658 inc vat for a like for like replacement, becuase according to them it was a special to order from TEC to get a 19mm shaft.
for cheap electric motors go to AC Motors - 258 Engineering Supplies Ltd cheaper than any company in the UK

just a note

when Jet first came to the USA, they hit California quite hard on sales......
it soon came to pass that their motors were not so good,,,,,
then Jet offered machines with genuine Baldor motors manf in the US......
sale syrocketed again......
I stil dont like em but that personal.......

Back