wheres axminster gone

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I could not get to Axminster's site yesterday either, but it works for me today. So you are not quite alone in having problems.

JohnPW":3131i3df said:
Maybe try a proxy website eg, https://www.proxysite.com/ (not a recommendation, just a site that came up in a search).

Best to use it only for browsing not ordering though, if it works.

well, I got through on that proxy site. but I cant use that securely can I?

I'll try again the normal way.

Nope, cant get through direct, have to go via a proxy site in america.
Still looking for permanent answers please.

Sheffield Tony":uscqjpvd said:
I could not get to Axminster's site yesterday either, but it works for me today. So you are not quite alone in having problems.

well I feel a little better, knowing someone in England has problems too.

sunnybob":1ebm0g6t said:
tried this, got 4 timed out messages.
there was a code 92.42.125.164:

any help?

A bit. it implies your kit and that of your ISP knows how to find the site but that the server hosting the site is failing to respond in a reasonable amount of time. That's not 100% definite... but it's certainly a pretty strong indicator.

TBO, you're unlikely to be able to fix this yourself as it looks to be outside of your local network.

You could drop Axminster an email (their site say [email protected] for web site schtuff) and explain your predicament. The idea here would be for them to go hassle their hosting provider

You could also ask someone local to you (you're in Cyprus?) to try browsing to their home page and see if they get through? There may be some geographical gremlin at work or, if they can get through, you can go use their browser :wink:

Failing all else: nag your ISP. Depending on who they are and how tech savy the support person is, you may yield better results nailing your router to the rafters and slaughtering a goat.

I was just searching out a contact email, thanks for that.
have sent them and will wait to see what happens.

My internet is not a standard system because I am off the beaten track (I have a microwave transmitter on the roof that connects to an internet cafe in Ayia Napa) but it has worked many fine for a couple years, and everything else is working as normal.

Dont have rafters (solid concrete house) and goat isnt special here, you can have Kleftiko (stewed goat) at any cafe any day, so it would need to be a polar bear to get the gods interested around here.

If it is a DNS problem it's easy to work round it now we know Axi's IP address. Just copy and paste this into your browser's address box:

Any use?

There's not much meat on a goat. Not the ones we have here. You're far better off with a sheep... of which we have plenty in Shetland. I shall go no further on that subject :oops:

Microwave links are a fickle beast too. Shetland lived off the back of one for a long long time... the signal crossing the North Sea on sunny days was always guaranteed to mess with the internet. Sunny days and Shetland are rarely seen together... plus and we have fibre now :mrgreen:

toast":cqmh1tpo said:
its probley the dns server your using blocking it for some reason/or accidentally
try this https://www.opennicproject.org/configure-your-dns/
I'd wonder about that. Pinging the domain did get the correct IP address coming back so the DNS part of the spell looks OK.

For sh*ts and giggles you could try doing a trace route "tracert axminster.co.uk" (no quotes) and that may show where things go teets up. But it looks like it's something on the Axminster server side that's not playing ball. Maybe. Possibly. Go find a polar bear!

toast, I'm on unsafe ground with your suggestion. My computer skills are strictly limited. At this stage I'm not prepared to do that.
Andy, nope, still get the page unavailable logo.

I've contacted axminster, I'll let you know what happens.

Or somebody at Axminster web admin has mistakenly blocked an IP because of spam, it would then block anyone who is allocated the same dynamic IP by the ISP.

The spammer does not have to be on Cyprus, they could be anywhere using proxy techniques to use innocent servers.

It's worth asking someone else in Cyprus to try the Axminster site, they stand a chance of being on a different IP.

well,the mystery deepens.
My friend along the road can get it on his computer, which has a land line, so its not a country thing.
i contacted axminster on thursday and got an email back saying it has been passed to their web team, who obviously dont work weekends (or fridays) because no reply is my answer so far.
It has to be my internet cafe microwave, but the shop is a fair way away, and as the internet is working perfectly in all other respects, I'n not spending a morning driving there. No point phoning, as they are all indian or rumanian, and phone conversations rapidly degenerate into chaos.
Hopefully the "web team" can get themselves motivated tomorrow.

sunnybob":227wu56t said:
......It has to be my internet cafe microwave, but the shop is a fair way away, and as the internet is working perfectly in all other respects, I'n not spending a morning driving there. No point phoning, as they are all indian or rumanian, and phone conversations rapidly degenerate into chaos.
Hopefully the "web team" can get themselves motivated tomorrow.

Internet café IP's are notorious sources of spam propagation, not unusual to find them on a spam source listing.

Although currently I can't find any such listing.

128.0.204.26 IP address location:
IP address [?]:128.0.204.26
IP country code:CY
IP address country:
ip address flag Cyprus
IP address state:n/a
IP address city:n/a
IP address latitude: 35.0000
IP address longitude: 33.0000
ISP of this IP [?]:CYTA
Organization:CYTA

Host of this IP: [?]:128-204-26.netrun.cytanet.com.cy

There's always the VPN route if you really want to get to Axminster. Signing up for a VPN service would make your internet traffic appear to come from wherever the VPN you connect to is. I've no recommendations for who to go with (the choices are near endless) as I use my work VPNs if I ever have to.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Nelsun":1hxvp4ca said:
There's always the VPN route if you really want to get to Axminster. Signing up for a VPN service would make your internet traffic appear to come from wherever the VPN you connect to is. I've no recommendations for who to go with (the choices are near endless) as I use my work VPNs if I ever have to.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Can be very useful at times but 99% of spammers also use VPN type connections, so sites that check stated locations against access IP's are apt to take offence.

Viewing may not be a problem but signing up for an account, placing orders and payment verification might well get blocked.

If the internet cafe was on a spam blacklist, surely It wouldnt only be one site in the whole world that blocked it?

I have a vpn on another laptop. I will try that one.

Latest posts

Back