where to start..?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Nick,
The Coronet on Ebay is a decent machine. I had a friend who used one, turning legs for the company he worked for. He used his most evenings and weekends for several years before he upgraded to a larger machine. It has bronze adjustable bearings. He liked this as he was able to adjust them up as they needed it, just a point that this will need doing over time.
I've been turning for over 20 years, most of them professionally. My advice would be that whatever you get, being a well built solid machine keeps vibration down which makes it easier to turn well. If bench mounted that works well just use a good bench that is solid. Good quality tools are very important as is being able to sharpen them well. This takes practice but there are many helpful jigs etc. to help. At the end of the day, have fun, after 18 years full time I still enjoy being able to produce a good quality item and that to me is the most important thing.

Johnny B

A belated welcome to the forum Johnny B, great to have another long term turner to pass on some practical knowledge & experience.

Hi Nick

No-one has yet mentioned the obvious first step - join a local club. There you can probably get a chance to try out different lathes and tools and get hands on advice from members.

To be honest - I think £200 all in is a bit light unless you go for a small scale starter lathe second hand - there are bargains to be had if you are not too fussy. Don't start thinking larger/longer/more powerful for that. You will need extras such as the tools, maybe a chuck - it helps for beginners, finishing products, sharpening equipment (very important), safety equipment, etc etc etc - oh, and don't forget the band aids......

Hi guys........

Thanks for all the replies so far. A lot of them DO make really good sense.

Have decided not to just jump at the first thing i see, but to have a good look around and try and get what i need at the price i can afford. BUT.... if i see something that takes my fancy then hey.... that all goes out the window :lol:

My missus came home yesterday, she'd been told about a book sale at Southampton City library. Popped along in her lunch hour and grabbed me 3 books on turning / small projects etc. 50p per book..!! So i've got a bit of bedtime reading for a while... :wink:

Plus she's put an ad on the electronic notice board where she is (Soton City Uni) saying "Wanted....... blah blah blah..."

Also had a chat with an 'old-boy' where i work who used to do wood turning. He says try and get hold of a Myford(?), Viceroy, etc. etc. cos they don't make them like that any more. Am watching a Viceroy on ebay at the mo...... trouble is it's 3 phase. Still might be a bargain at £99. Also watching a SIP 37", brand new in box, unwanted gift, looks exactly like a Clarke but green not blue. But with both of those would i be able to get parts ok, chucks, jaws, that sort of thing. Or would i be better off sticking to my first choice of the Axminster...... had the catalogue delivered the other day, packed full of bits for their own lathes.

One last thing..... am also keeping my eye open for wood turning classes at any local night schools. But ddon'thold out much hope. I think all the nasty tools like this were sold off years ago....

Thanks for every thing so far...... i am still reading and watching.

Nick
Southampton.

Oh....

P.S. ddon'tsuppose there might be someone local in here that might let me come and watch and maybe have a play too...... i'll bring along some nice bits of Kapur...!! :wink:

Hi Dave,

Never seen the STEB centre before. Does it grip well, or is it the fact that it doesn't grip too well the helpful thing. Looks like it may be inclined to drill its way into the wood if cutting aggressively.
I'm asking as if it saves having to pre mark the blank with the drive centre I would give it a try.

Johnny B

hpl":3e74fb95 said:
Hi Dave,

Never seen the STEB centre before. Does it grip well, or is it the fact that it doesn't grip too well the helpful thing. Looks like it may be inclined to drill its way into the wood if cutting aggressively.
I'm asking as if it saves having to pre mark the blank with the drive centre I would give it a try.

Johnny B

Hello Johnny

The cone in the centre of the ring of teeth is spring loaded. You mount the workpiece as you would with a normal prong centre and use the tailstock centre to push the end grain into the teeth. You only need light pressure.

If / when you get a dig in, the work piece stops, the teeth cut a ring in the end grain but the workpiece stays mounted. You can then tighten up the tailstock a bit more and carry on.

This does make a mess of the end, but you'll part that off anyway.

I was advised to get a 7/8" size on a morse taper to fit my headstock. Works a treat.

I don't know which lathe you use, but the drive shaft on mine is solid, so I can't tap the taper out with a drift. I fit it a thread protector before putting the taper in the headstock. When you want to take it out, unscrewing it releases the taper. Hope this helps.

Cheers

Dave

I agree with blister re the very cheap , under powered starter lathes - these will do you no favours and if you dont give up you will swiftly out grow them.

however I have been turning for about 8 years and have been using an axminster M900 from the begining (the perform lathe others have mentioned is essentially a chinese made copy of the 900) - this does 99% of what i want , and tho there are times i would like a bigger lathe , i cant justify the £1000 plus it would take to get one.

so my advice would be to get something like this that isnt stupidly expensive that you can grow with (mine was 400 notes but they are arround 200 second hand) or like others have said get the perform copy.

btw i wouldnt turn either greenheart or purple heart without some degree of dust protection (either a powered mask or an extractor and paper mask) as the dust from both has some seriously nasty side effects

At the end of the day, whatever you get you will want a better one. I have been using a perform for most of my work since I started 18 months ago. The only limitation I have found (apart from my own lack of expertise) is the size, speed and weight of it. As I like to turn what Chas calls rustic things, I can't turn much bigger than 8 or 9 inches as the lathe isn't strong or heavy enouigh and the speed only goes down to 500. Having said that it does nearly everything else which for £130 can't be bad (Think it's about £160 now) If you are going for this sort of price bracket I would advise going for a Perform or an Axminster as suggested if only because the after service is relly special. I knackered the variable speed and they just sent me a ne load of gearing with a handwritten note an diagram on how to fit it even though it was my own stupid fault. :oops:

Pete

Back