Where to buy planed boards in the UK

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lukeuk

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody,

This is my first post on this forum so I would like to welcome you all!

I'm beginning my journey with woodworking and I would like to ask for an advice. What would be the best place to buy materials from (I do apologise if this's not a correct board for this kind of question)?

I quickly realised that buying timber (especially if you are only a hobbits) is not so easy. Places like Wickes or B&Q sell only pine (at leas in my area) in a very limited range of sizes. Buying hardwood seams to be even harder. I came across ChampionTimber which is very convenient because they have a branch close to the please I live (Guildford) but again... they don't sell that many different kinds of wood and they seam to be quite expensive (I appreciate that timber is not cheap).

Could you please give me an advice what would be the best place to get a timber from for a "Sunday carpenter"?

Thank you

Luke(?)

Welcome to the forum

It's always hard starting out without any machines to plane timber yourself. Some will say learn to do it by hand which can be easier said than done when starting out and you actually want to make something. Steer well clear of buying wood in DIY sheds it will be expensive and probably warp. Champion are a bit better.

You should also check out surrey timbers who are on the losely estate in Guildford. Kevin who owns it has a good selection of different timbers but all are rough sawn. I think he might do a planing service but I have no idea how much he chargers or indeed whether he does it in small quantities (he definely sells in small quantities). Google surrey timbers and give him a call
What wood are you wanting and what are you making?

Mark

Hello Mark,

Thank you for the replay.

I don't mind planing as it adds to the fun and if I can save money that way then it's a no brainer for me. I will definitely check Surrey Timbers (thank you so much for this recommendation). With regards to cutting I also don't mind it but I won't be able to fit a professional cutting table to my garage. Would a circular saw a lots of patience do?

Right now I'm learning basics: cutting, planing, glueing and joints. I work on a budget pine (form an obvious reasons) and a cheapest hardwood board I could get to make a simple stuff (like a cheese board).

I don't have any particular hardwood on my mind - I simply have not enough experience. What I know is that I don't enjoy working with pine as much as with the hardwood I own. I would like to try different kind of timber first before deciding what I want to stick to.

The closest project on my mind are:
- a chest
- simple garden furniture
- office desk

ps.
Yes, Luke ;-)

If East Grinstead is not too far for you to get to, I could probably help with some useful sized sawn offcuts to start you off for a 'drink' and poss PAR for another drink.....

Cheers Robin

South London Hardwoods (http://www.slhardwoods.co.uk) in Croydon do a decent range of planed boards, and you can order online if a trip to Croydon is a step too far ;) I've ordered from them this way in the past for odd bits and pieces, and the boards they selected were very nice, no problems at all.

HTH Pete

p.s. And +1 on the welcome!

It is also worth keeping an eye on Ebay.
I have bought some lovely beech, walnut, mahogany and oak at a fraction of the price you would pay at a timber merchant.
Even allowing for the odd knot or split you can get very good value for money if pick your lots.

Back