where can I get these clamps?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timbly

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi
Just trawling the interweb and came across a video on this webpage http://www.devolkitchens.co.uk/content/quality/
I was considering investing in a few more short 30" irwin record sash clamps but I really like the look of the clamps this guy is using for gluing up his cabinet doors (about 2/3 through the vid). Does anyone know what make they are and where they can be purchased?
Thanks
Tim

Tim
Scott & sargent sell them
Mine are from Würth and called maxifix - they all look like the same Austrian design from Walter Zimmermann
Matt

I have a dozen of these cramps that I bought from Wurths several years ago. They are first rate in my opinion!

Felders do sell them as well but at a higher price!

Roger

Why does he say there is room for shrinkage? He's using plywood for the panels and gluing them in!

Brad Naylor uses clamps like those and rates them, so they must be good.
S

timbly":1wgejmrh said:
Hi
Just trawling the interweb and came across a video on this webpage http://www.devolkitchens.co.uk/content/quality/
I was considering investing in a few more short 30" irwin record sash clamps but I really like the look of the clamps this guy is using for gluing up his cabinet doors (about 2/3 through the vid). Does anyone know what make they are and where they can be purchased?
Thanks
Tim

Did anyone else notice how he glued the panels in those doors he was building [-X surely they should be floating ?

I glue my MDF doors but never glue real wood or plywood panels its a pretty basic thing you learn pretty early on in your apprenticeship.

EDIT DAMN Steve you clicked submit quicker than me :lola:

Hi
Thanks for all the replies - I may well get a couple of these to try from Scott + Sargent.
Like wise don't really get why he's gluing the birch ply panels - we always leave ours free floating in the groove..
Thanks again
Tim

I would be more concerned about the length of the tenons than gluing the ply in, they look to be only as long as the depth of the groove.

Phil Sewell":1ci5q99q said:
I would be more concerned about the length of the tenons than gluing the ply in, they look to be only as long as the depth of the groove.

Nothing wrong with that its very common

20mm groove and tenons is about right. Hafele sell the clamps i think.

Steve Maskery":39mvgz7c said:
Yes, although it is a budget technique, given the modest size of the door and the glued panel, that will be plenty strong enough.
S

In what respect Steve?

Steve Maskery":2qqlxmjv said:
Why does he say there is room for shrinkage? He's using plywood for the panels and gluing them in!

Brad Naylor uses clamps like those and rates them, so they must be good.
S

I was just going to say that...and I know nothing about making furniture! :?

Nice clamps though!

Jim

Mattty":2vjz07j1 said:
Steve Maskery":2vjz07j1 said:
Yes, although it is a budget technique, given the modest size of the door and the glued panel, that will be plenty strong enough.
S

In what respect Steve?

In the sense that they are stub tenons to fill deep grooves rather than a "proper" M&T. Nothing wrong with that for a door like this, it's a quick and cheap way of making a door which will do the job perfectly adequately, especially given how good modern glues are. Is it traditional? No. But a trad joint would be more time-consuming to cut and therefore more expensive.

S

The bloke should pay attention to his own PR:

"By using only solid natural timbers we can ensure that our furniture maintains its integrity under the rigours of a lifetime of wear and tear.
All man-made composite materials such as melamine or veneered chipboard, MDF or ply once damaged become very vulnerable to damp and prone to swelling and delaminating. The use of these materials limits the life-span of the cabinet."

I did see him measure both sides (stiles), why. If they have been both cut to the same lenght that will not change even after glue up. It's far more important to check diagonal measurements. If they are not the same then it's not square.

Hi Tim

If you decide not to go for the Wurth type clamps, and look again at the record, have a look at the new axminster ones which are direct record 135 rip offs and are £69.99 for 6, I needed some more off this length and thought I would give them a try and I am really impressed at the quality. I would say that Irwin/Record may have to match Axminster prices or offer some seriously good deals.

Tom

chippy1970":3bmj8k0e said:
timbly":3bmj8k0e said:
Hi

Did anyone else notice how he glued the panels in those doors he was building [-X surely they should be floating ?

I glue my MDF doors but never glue real wood or plywood panels its a pretty basic thing you learn pretty early on in your apprenticeship.

EDIT DAMN Steve you clicked submit quicker than me :lola:

And how he is sure the door is square because the two parallel measurements are the same??

No diagonal check. =D> He doesn't seem to understand a parallelogram isn't square.

To my regret I have a few #-o of those around.

He also did not sand up the moulds before gluing.

But the best bit was when my wife looking over my shoulder said that is not how you measure a door, and that is just from watching me in the workshop.

Tom

Back