Where can I buy yew

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave_G

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Can anyone tell me where I can buy yew? It would be great if it was in the North West (UK) or delivered.

I'm not after a large amount, just enough to make a small drinks cabinet.

Thanks,

Dave

Not near you but he does ship wood and he had a lot in stock last Friday.

Nigel
English Hardwood
Geddington Sawmill
Grafton road
Geddington
Northants
NN14 1AJ
07979 251 497

john

I purchased a board of yew once, it looked good, but crosscutting to size I found it was useless inside, the board had cracks all through (inside).

I think it is a common problem with this wood so where ever you buy it get some cross cut to length and check before leaving the yard and purchase.

Hi devonwoody - thanks for the advice. I been ringing around today and a few people have said exactly the same as you.

I think I'm going reconsider the use of yew on the basis of cost, availability and possible problems.

I gather (only) from what i've read that yew is also (a) pretty notoriously toxic (not just allergy inducing) and (b) can be very difficult to work.

It can have a lovely honey/amber tone with quite a lot of variation, but if the table i saw is typical it possibly can move quite a lot too.

Not sure what the likely reality might be...

ian

Dave_G":2g06olgj said:
Hi devonwoody - thanks for the advice. I been ringing around today and a few people have said exactly the same as you.

I think I'm going reconsider the use of yew on the basis of cost, availability and possible problems.

Yew is a beautiful timber but incredibly problematic with faults and defects. You need to allow massive waste percentage (i would allow 300%) and be prepared for lots of tear out. Depending on the piece, it may be woth considering Veneer.

Dave_G":8utu3llh said:
Hi,

Can anyone tell me where I can buy yew? It would be great if it was in the North West (UK) or delivered.

I'm not after a large amount, just enough to make a small drinks cabinet.

Thanks,

Dave

I know a tree surgeon/timber converter in the Wilmslow area who has some nice local air-dried yew in stock. PM me and I'll dig out the details.

Cheers
Brad

Back