Where can I buy Decent Plaster?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John15":3vuuxjrg said:
Could this guy just be winding people up? I can't imagine anyone can be so dim.

John

It just sounds like a mix up with terminology either side of the pond. Can't see the need to be so rude.

sitefive":1m95qb21 said:
What I'm used to do with plasterboard is just taping the joints and than skimming the joints/screw holes/any other imperfections as needed and sanding between the coats, but NOT rendering it all in a plaster. For brick/block walls you render it all in plaster yes, but not plasterboard which is already pretty much ready to be painted.
This is the way I'm used to finish plasterboard, and you get a great/smooth finish without messing around.

If you like raw plasterboard finish thats fine, but it looks terrible, damages really easily and is impossible to repair.
Cheap house builders use this technique, we call them cowboys.

By the way, you are moaning again. Do you understand how whingy you are, moan moan f**king moan. You have even started to moan on other forums I'm on, different name but I have started to recognise the sheer whingyness of your posts.

Have you ever thought it may be you........... not the timber, not the tools, not the materials etc etc.

Ok Bought the easyfill plaster and it seems of good quality, the grits def are super super tiny so is ideal for this. Dries rather fast as well and seems to sand pretty easily.
Bloody expensive tho at £16 for 10kg but seems to go a long way and most importantly - It does the job!
Thanks for the suggestion!

You seriously can't get anywhere in Life or improve yourself if you don't moan and try to find the best solution for each process you need!
I have no education/training in joinery/building whatsoever nor have anyone that will show me most of the things, have to figure everything out myself as I go.

Ask nicely, not rocket science. Stop moaning you sound like a schoolgirl.

"You seriously can't get anywhere in Life or improve yourself if you don't moan and try to find the best solution for each process you need!
I have no education/training in joinery/building whatsoever nor have anyone that will show me most of the things, have to figure everything out myself as I go."

Unfortunately Sitefive, you have chosen to settle in England. There are two ways in which you might take this statement. By and large the English can't abide moaners. It is seen as weak and rather pathetic. It seriously affects the willingness of people to help you, since many of your posts have a theme along the lines of how bad we are versus where you used to be. You will get more friendly help if you adopt a more constructive tone. It is not at all necessary to moan.

In answer to the question buy it from a builders merchant and not a DIY shop, it will be a lot cheaper as well.

Having had to get the plaster we use to repair walls in kitchens when they have been taped and filled during refits, you can not beat a good plaster skim.

Do you moan at the local suppliers as well ?

All you seem to do on here is complain about them.

May be they think here he comes again and just can't be bothered with you, try not complaining and may be they will help you, if you are not sure.

What a wind up! You don't half post some cr*p :roll:

I'm not going to comment much 'cos it's all been said but if you buy from B&Poo without knowing what you need you'll get the wrong product and considering some of the comments on here and your other threads you're going to quickly run out of members willing to help you.

Need to change your attitude and if you'd bothered to google how to fill drywall taped joints you would immediately have found the info you required. If however as you say you've done it before albeit abroad, you would know that already as many of the materials are international.

Edit: BTW I'm a retired builder and can plaster to an acceptable though not perfect degree and might have tried to help someone who asked in the right manner which you did not! - Quit moaning

All I'm saying about plastering versus skimming joints is this. How many American films have you seen where they're punching through walls, grabbing people through walls and dragging them off screaming into the night. How many times? All The Bleeding Time.
Nearly every other film has some fella getting shot to shizzle behind some drywall. Nearly ANY FILM you watch from has some poor luckless b*stard dying because of the inferior quality of American wall finishes.

Now, you never see that with British plastering do you?

You didn't see Hugh Grant getting dragged off through the wall by zombie clawhands in Three Weddings and a Funeral. When Begbie chucks a pint over the balcony in Trainspotting all you hear are the screams of the injured as the pub erupts into one massive bloody fight. The Pub doesn't itself explode due to the poor quality scrimtaping that has taken place in the past because of a lack of PPS. (Proper Plastering Skills).

When a young Ray Winstone asks 'Where's yer tool!?!' in Scum, you don't see Borstal erupting into flames and than collapsing into rubble and the PrimeMinister get sniped through the eye by a slow motion bullet that bends round corners.

Why?
PPS. That's why.

I also have a theory about why Arch Villains are nearly always all Brits in American films. But I won't go into that here. Cor Blimey Mary Poppins no I won't Gawd bless me eyes.

Lons
B&Poo are probably the only place that he can go to, as you will know, you need to have a good working relationship with your local builders merchant and if he goes on like this in there it won't help.

Bm101":3cfcbxhd said:
All I'm saying about plastering versus skimming joints is this. How many American films have you seen where they're punching through walls, grabbing people through walls and dragging them off screaming into the night. How many times? All The Bleeding Time.
Nearly every other film has some fella getting shot to shizzle behind some drywall. Nearly ANY FILM you watch from has some poor luckless b*stard dying because of the inferior quality of American wall finishes.

Now, you never see that with British plastering do you?

You didn't see Hugh Grant getting dragged off through the wall by zombie clawhands in Three Weddings and a Funeral. When Begbie chucks a pint over the balcony in Trainspotting all you hear are the screams of the injured as the pub erupts into one massive bloody fight. The Pub doesn't itself explode due to the poor quality scrimtaping that has taken place in the past because of a lack of PPS. (Proper Plastering Skills).

When a young Ray Winstone asks 'Where's yer tool!?!' in Scum, you don't see Borstal erupting into flames and than collapsing into rubble and the PrimeMinister get sniped through the eye by a slow motion bullet that bends round corners.

Why?
PPS. That's why.

I also have a theory about why Arch Villains are nearly always all Brits in American films. But I won't go into that here. Cor Blimey Mary Poppins no I won't Gawd bless me eyes.

=D>

Hurrah sir.

You missed Lethal Weapon 3, they hadn't even constructed the drywall at the point it all turned to rubbish at the end of that film. Pre-emptive taping and jointing my friend. The building knew what was coming.

tomatwark":21gmq889 said:
Lons
B&Poo are probably the only place that he can go to, as you will know, you need to have a good working relationship with your local builders merchant and if he goes on like this in there it won't help.

You dont actually believe he moans to people in real life do you?
Its only on the internet from the safety of his bedroom.

Another fantastic thread from start to finish, great read :)

What's next?
Will Barry the kiwi beat his alcohol problem?
Can Terry get the car repaired before his wife finds out he crashed it?
Will busty Joanne get the kids to the school trip in time?

All this in next week's episode...

No skills":20bjib4y said:

What's next?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

tomatwark":37jxxr14 said:
Next weeks episode is call

Why don't no1 pozi bits work with no2 screws in this country.

followed shortly by the screws are better and cheaper where i used to moan!!

"I have no education/training in joinery/building whatsoever nor have anyone that will show me most of the things, have to figure everything out myself as I go."

But you have a massive amount of hands on experience; after all you designed & built a complete house from ground up " back home" :roll:

couple-teach-themselves-to-build-a-timber-framed-house-t84827-30.html

You really ought to get out and research more, Tapered edge plasterboard can be skimmed or jointed, as you have done.
Don't use paper tape, beginners always have problems getting the tap flat and bedded in the jointing compound.
Fiba, self adhesive tape is superior in strength and no need to flatten, or expell any air, which would leave a bubble
That is easily seen.
Fit the fiba tape in the joints and internals, mix up the compound, small amounts to start, fill the joints and keep everything clean, Don't go over the 5" well formed by the tapered edges, spot the screws or nail heads 3 times
Jointing compound is designed to shrink, so unless different instructions are on you're bag you should apply 3 coats
for a perfectly flush and seamless joint,
A light sanding to finish, be careful not to damage the paper each side.
90% of houses have metal or timber stud walls upstairs which are plaster boarded, Its not "jerry built" its done for weight and time factors.
Taping and jointing is very fast and quick to dry out as opposed to conventional wet plastering trades,
All those gallons of water from drying plaster affects the timber inside including the door linings,
And can take 3 weeks or more to dry out.
A good hand joiner should finish a 3 bed house in 4 days, and the moment he leaves you can paint the walls etc.
But many people prefer a skim finish on plasterboard, dry lined or stud.
Regards Rodders

I did my whole house (which was built by professionals, we merely did the interior finish, I have a thread on this forum somewhere in archives if anyone want to see how it's done in finland) which is timber framed and uses drywall, the paper tape thing took a room or so before I had it down. Still, I wouldn't want to do this kind of work for a living.

Never given much thought to drywall before, I got it in my garage, my dad has it in his workshop / boiler room built in the late 70s (a farmer & welder), still holding up.

Corners btw should be reinforced with metal brackets that are plastered over. For non 90 degree corners there are special tape with metal embedded.

No skills":2b8j74a4 said:

What's next?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts

Back