Where can I buy Decent Plaster?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crikey! What a load of old tosh has been uttered in this thread. Quite frankly from people who should know a lot better.
Plasterboard, dry, wet, who gives a sht. It's carp modern rubbish anyway.
This is far superior and you don't need any silly tape or screws. BTW Don't bother painting it or wallpapering. The surface texture is decorative as is:

MIGNAL":24o8dkga said:
This is far superior and you don't need any silly tape or screws. BTW Don't bother painting it or wallpapering. The surface texture is decorative as is:

Ah.. but you need to decide whether to limewash it, and then you have to decide how much pig's blood/cat urine/dog bile to add to the mix, and then there's the question of when to do the work in relation to the phases of the moon etc. etc.....

Woody2Shoes":h7wmcgxp said:
pig's blood/cat urine/dog bile

That is essentially the stain pattern of our flagstone floor.

Never have an indoor hog roast "because the weather's not looking good is it".

Ever.

I'm kidding, about the pig's blood anyway, the rest of it is there in abundance.

lurker":3ijjvsps said:
"I have no education/training in joinery/building whatsoever nor have anyone that will show me most of the things, have to figure everything out myself as I go."

But you have a massive amount of hands on experience; after all you designed & built a complete house from ground up " back home" :roll:

couple-teach-themselves-to-build-a-timber-framed-house-t84827-30.html

:lol: :lol: :lol: It's astonishing how easily some people can shoot themselves in the foot. I guess the OP has some memory loss as well maybe? :wink:

MIGNAL":9rkcri46 said:
Crikey! What a load of old tosh has been uttered in this thread. Quite frankly from people who should know a lot better.

Pffft all you Johnny-come-latelys with your new fangled wattle and daub technologies.

Here's the Mrs just getting ready to fit the roof on our new place. Wish her luck.

cyxEDiu.jpg

Bm101":3hqbozr1 said:
MIGNAL":3hqbozr1 said:

Pffft all you Johnny-come-latelys with your new fangled wattle and daub technologies.

Here's the Mrs just getting ready to fit the roof on our new place. Wish her luck.

cyxEDiu.jpg

Ravishing, you lucky man!
Rodders

The office in my last job was made with metal stud partitioning and double plasterboard. The joints were taped and then had compound applied. The decorators gave the joints a quick rub down and gave the walls two costs of white paint with a roller and you couldn't see the seams at all. Plastering takes skill and costs a few quid, almost anyone can tape and fill joints in plasterboard and get a good result it seems.

As has been said though, repairing a tear in plasterboard is more difficult (I'd imagine), whereas plaster is une doddle., as the French say. That may be about plater of Paris, but you get the argument.

I'm not sure I'd agree that a plaster repair is easier than plasterboard repair, I think we're just not as familiar with the methods as say the Americans are. YouTube rules for info here.
With the quick drying compounds available plasterboard repairs may even be faster to do.

Clearly I did shoot myself in the foot by asking for a plaster suggestion when I haven't used this type of materials here and the one I have seen used by everyone else failed on me.
Anyway If anyone is looking to do the same ( to get decent finish on plasterboard without the mess/mastering of the ''proper plastering'' ) than the Gyproc Easi-Fill is really OK stuff for this, had to do 3 passes with sanding between each to get seamless finish and at a cost of around £14 for tape/ the amount of filling compound I used and about 4hours in total over 2days to get 18m2 room ready to be painted.

I meant more practically, I guess sanding back a fill where you've had to first of all cut the paper rips away means you're using paint on top of paper as your datum to get the fill back to flat. I'm too heavy handed for that, I've tried it :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

apropos of nothing: the transatlantic ex-colonials refer to wall filler as Spackle which somehow has an appropriate ring.

Well, I learnt something, I always wondered why you buy plasterboard, then have to cover it up with more plaster. I can see the fill and sand option might work on a ceiling, but I tried sanding a wall once, and I wouldn't want to do it again, my neighbour compared it to a scene from Die Hard when I exited from the front door to get some air.

Site five, if you've not worked it out yet, the correct approach would have been to explain what you wanted to do and ask what product to use, not buy the wrong product then complain it's rubbish. Still you got the answer in the end and appear to have entertained some people.

mind_the_goat":1gv0gvm8 said:
phil.p":1gv0gvm8 said:
If you made that much mess you were doing something wrong. It's dirty, but not that dirty.

The belt sander seemed a good idea at the time #-o

Belt sander on a stick for the high up bits?

Back