Where can I buy Decent Plaster?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are special machines for that, we call them giraffes. Not sure what it's called in english.

I think in this country tape and fill method of plasterboarding is used mostly commercially, IE in office partitioning.

It isnt really a method used domestically for housebuilding either new build or refurbishment / extensions.

I dont know if plasterboarding with square edge boards and skim coating actually takes any longer for a plasterer than tape and fill -probably not for a typical sized room in a house. I expect it would make a difference for office partitioning where jobs could easily be 1000's of square metres. Offices are often finished with wall paper -that massive wide stuff, so maybe a perfect finish isnt required.

One thing I really dont like is dot and dab plasterboarding -what a pain for any subsequent fitting work!

sitefive":383i5ggo said:
Clearly I did shoot myself in the foot by asking for a plaster suggestion when I haven't used this type of materials here and the one I have seen used by everyone else failed on me.
Anyway If anyone is looking to do the same ( to get decent finish on plasterboard without the mess/mastering of the ''proper plastering'' ) than the Gyproc Easi-Fill is really OK stuff for this, had to do 3 passes with sanding between each to get seamless finish and at a cost of around £14 for tape/ the amount of filling compound I used and about 4hours in total over 2days to get 18m2 room ready to be painted.

At 2.88 metres a sheet, 18sq metres isn't a room, is a cupboard!
Rodders

RobinBHM":q40lfq3w said:
I think in this country tape and fill method of plasterboarding is used mostly commercially, IE in office partitioning.

It isnt really a method used domestically for housebuilding either new build or refurbishment / extensions.

I dont know if plasterboarding with square edge boards and skim coating actually takes any longer for a plasterer than tape and fill -probably not for a typical sized room in a house. I expect it would make a difference for office partitioning where jobs could easily be 1000's of square metres. Offices are often finished with wall paper -that massive wide stuff, so maybe a perfect finish isnt required.

One thing I really dont like is dot and dab plasterboarding -what a pain for any subsequent fitting work!

I think the bigger more expensive houses are skimmed, it means a delay in drying time, and most of the others are taped and jointed by hand or machine.
Rodders

The other thing about using compound is no mixing and no mess. The guy opened the tub and then applied the compound with some kind of plastic spreader. After he finished he just wiped the spreader down put the lid on the tub and he was out the door.

I'm just sitting here trying to work out how some one uses 3 cubes of timber a month, and without any training???

Burning it?

adidat":24cge15d said:
I'm just sitting here trying to work out how some one uses 3 cubes of timber a month, and without any training???

Burning it?

That's in his spare time. He is considering packing up his full time IT job.

RobinBHM":wkzftrg4 said:

It's a lot more common in houses from the mainstream builders that you might realise and not just low cost houses either Robin.

woodpig":19dx0f2b said:
The other thing about using compound is no mixing and no mess. The guy opened the tub and then applied the compound with some kind of plastic spreader. After he finished he just wiped the spreader down put the lid on the tub and he was out the door.
that's the thing, I started on late sunday with nothing but freshly drywall lined room which I did earlier, yesterday (tuesday night) I had it all already painted and new laminate lied in and all finished ready to move furniture back in, in the same 2.5days I also had to rip up the floor and align the old crooked floorboards/ replace a couple meters of heating pipes and put up new radiator along with a few new electricity sockets and do some other bits&bobs.
Hardly doubt that I would be able to do that even in 2x longer timeframe If I had to learn how to properly skim the wall with the red nasty plaster I had no luck working with in first place and wait for it to fully dry as well.

woodpig":1ja3lmwa said:

Readymix joint cement from Gyproc has been consistently good over the years, but there are others now,
Wickes version was ok when I last used it.
As you say ready mix is excellent for smaller and repair jobs, and no mixing mess!
Rodders

woodpig":2cn0ultc said:

Yeah that's how we did it, probably used up 4-5 tubs of the stuff. Drywall is taped & jointed, screw holes are filled like described above, with a skilled person doing the spackling at this, sanding might be superfluous later, the more amateur you are the more sanding you have ahead of you... Then walls are usually wallpapered or painted, or a combination of both. Interior walls are also filled with rockwool insulation for sound dampening between rooms.

Wallpaper or paint is probably the norm in scandinavia, and if drywall isn't used then it's probably wooden boards. Another common thing is to use plywood or OSB behind the drywall to make it easier to hang heavy things from them without having to find a stud.

Lons":6ep5poij said:
RobinBHM":6ep5poij said:

It's a lot more common in houses from the mainstream builders that you might realise and not just low cost houses either Robin.

I must admit, I hadn't realised that, Ive never come across tape and fill on new build, however most sites Ive visited for site measuring of joinery are usually small developers and large executive houses.

Back