Where can I buy a combination plane?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MatthewKing

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Where can I buy a combination plane? and how much should I expect to pay?

They're mentioned several times in a couple books I have but I can't find them anywhere! (well, screwfix or B&Q).

Thanks,
Matthew

Thanks for the link Raggy, I'll keep an eye on that. Not that I want one, on the contrary, I have one I never use, and I don't suppose I ever shall, but it was my dad's and I would really like to know what it is worth. Nowhere near what he paid for it, is my guess. I can't remember eactly, but I seem to think he said it was a couple of weeks' wages at the time. I'm guessing late '40's or early '50's. I've thought about selling it, as it just takes up space, but it's such a nice object I'm reluctant to part with it. It's still has the original manual and is in a wooden case.

Unfortunately one of the fences has been repaired - welded and ground - so it's not pristine, and there is a cutter missing, but there is also a fabricated fence that is obviously not part of the original, it must have been made for some job or another.

My guess is that it wouldn't fetch the price of a new Lie Nielsen, let alone a Holtey ( :) ), so I think I'll hold on to it. But I'll certainly keep my eye on that bid.

Cheers
Steve

In 1898 a Stanley no 45 combination costed a whooping $8.00 that about four times the price of a simple dining table.

Have you tried secondhandtools.co.uk I bought a record combination plane from them and it s a joy to use. There some more second hand tool websites, if you put second hand tools are antique tools in google you will come across quite a few other websites.

Carl.

Thanks for the replies all.

Have I missed something, or are combination planes a bit old fashioned now? It seems that way since they're quite hard to find and most that I do find are second hand..

They didn't indicate that was the case in my books! :?

There are generally lots of Record 405's on Ebay which generally go for about £30 to £50.
Avoid the later Stanleys and Records - I have a 60's Record 50C which is a load of rubbish - the only good thing about it is the cutters are the same as the old ones.
I used my 405 a few weeks ago to round over some very thin box panel inserts - worked like a dream.

Rod

You'll probably only get a good price if it's collectable and in good nick, as a tool they've been superseded by the router

MatthewKing":pve379jf said:
Hi all,

Where can I buy a combination plane? and how much should I expect to pay?

They're mentioned several times in a couple books I have but I can't find them anywhere! (well, screwfix or B&Q).

Thanks,
Matthew

Purchase this months edition of the woodworker and look in the "for sale" section on the inside of the back page.

Regards,

Rich.

Back