Where are the pipe makers?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhilipL

Established Member
Reaction score
Impossible to get a set of the border pipes I fancy without a wait of 7 months. Makers say they can't get staff with sufficient expertise to employ. I would have thought it would be an ideal job for someone flung out of the workforce early wanting a life amongst wood and music. Am I wrong?

Impossible to get a set of the border pipes I fancy without a wait of 7 months. Makers say they can't get staff with sufficient expertise to employ. I would have thought it would be an ideal job for someone flung out of the workforce early wanting a life amongst wood and music. Am I wrong?
Hi there, I would place the order straight away and wait out the 7 months. It will pass in no time :) I'm sure there is a recession on the way which will wipe out a lot of small businesses like this
Yes this is definitely something I would have loved to do, were I a lot younger. But is there any money in it? I had a friend, in the workshop next to me, who made and restored violins, and he really struggled to earn a decent living.

Have just got hold of a' croppy' set of uilleann pipes to see if I can get my head around playing them. If I can then I will get hold of a David Daye penny chanter to improve the sound

. Have looked into having a go at making the chanter myself, but would need special reamers for the conical bore. As a starting point there are some measurements from a Leo Rowsome chanter, though the bore is not a straightforward cone! Ah... nothing is ever that simple☹️

Impossible to get a set of the border pipes I fancy

Looks like it is a 7 month wait or buy a different brand. Lot's of things are on a long delivery now; in fact lot's of electronic parts are not even given an expected delivery date.

Where I use to work they are buying circuit boards to get one IC off it and throwing the rest of the board away.

It is just the way of the world at the moment; you can see the same thing with woodworking tools.

You may be right. I may just have to wait. There is an option of one from Bagpipes Galore in Edinburgh but it's polypenco and their small pipes are not very attractive looking (just been to have a look at the border pipes - none in!) and I admit to having expensive tastes in musical instruments.

I could get a decent set of small pipes now but I don't like the thin sound. A conical chanter gives a crackle to the grace noting. Shephards, as with most makers, only do small pipes in that range.

On the point of lack of available expertise for employers I would have thought being an employee would be better than being a sole trader with all the hassle of marketing. Plenty of skilled people were put out to graze over the past few years who could retrain surely? Flexible work seems to be attractive to that group:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentan...cethestartofthecoronaviruspandemic/2022-03-14

bagpipes or a brass band.........mmmmmm...??????????
Brass band for me......lol......
I do miss em.....
fish n chips on the sea front listening to a BB.........

You could also try Kilberry Pipes on St Mary St next to the Worlds End pub on the royal mile 0131 556 9607. he is a bespoke maker so may be able to run some up for you in a shorter time. (not seen the shop open for a while though so :dunno:

Kilberry don't do them. They do chamber pipes but those are not conical chanters.

Anyway, you've convinced me to wait so I've ordered a set. Lets see if they arrive sooner than their latest date.

Ps: not all pipe music is pipe band stuff, Clogs, just as not all brass music is played by northern ex coal miners. Look to Hindemith's Konzertmusik for Strings and Brass. I prefer Hindemith to a northern brass band but everyone to their own.

FYI. Simon Hope also makes pipes
- smallpipes
I may be mistaken but think that's a dormant site.

As far as I know, Simon stopped making pipes several years ago. If you look at the pipes in the 'For Sale' section, you'll see that they were marked as 'sold' back in 2012. I visited Simon in 2005 when I bought a lathe from him, and at that time, he had several sets of 'small pipes' which he'd made to order in various tartans for customers. He was well-known on the demonstrator circuit and visited our club in East Yorkshire several times over the years, but I think in recent years, Simon has tended only to demonstrate at seminars He designs, makes and markets high quality woodturning accessories, such as quick release chisel handles, which many pro tuners use, and he does say on his website that this is his main focus these days, but it also says he makes pipes, so it could be worth contacting him if interested to see if he does one-off commissions:

HOPE woodturning

Sadly Simon Hope stopped making smallpipes, Border pipes and practice chanters a few years back but he says he still facies making a set or two if or when time allows.

6-7 months isn't that long to wait for a hand made instrument, I was being quoted 3-5 years for a set of Uilleann Pipes.

Maybe ask Ross at Lochalsh bagpipes He stopped making Border pipes for a while but I think he's starting again but it may be a long waiting list.

Other possibles are Burgess bagpipes or Fred Morrison Reelpipes.

I don't know if Hamish or Finn Moore are taking orders.

Maybe look out for second hand sets, there's a set of Garvie on Ebay - a bit pricey but the maker sadly passed away recently. Ebay Garvie set

Hope some of this helps.

Worry not, all. I have ordered.

It's interesting that these small craft businesses seem to run out of steam after a bit. Too small to handle all the needs of business? Too boring doing repetitive work?

Latest posts

Back