Where to sell furniture onlline?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yordano

Reaction score
Hey members!

What I like to do as a hobby is making my own furniture. I really get a lot of positive compliments and people tell me that I should sell it too, so I decided to do that ;) .And now I want to make some furniture and sell it. I see that a lot of people offer their self-made furniture on Marktplaces with old stuff on it to, I find this a bit weird. Why would you sell your own products that are (new) on a second-try platform? a bit unprofessional, right? I can't seem to find a good alternative at the moment in terms of a marketplace where I can put my furniture that is (new and handmade) with a bit of volume on it. And now I know a lot of people are going to say make a website yourself. But someone like me is not waiting for this, I just want to sell a piece of furniture. Of course it would be nice later on, but I have to start somewhere. Do you also experience this problem as furniture makers? (Not a good platform where you can sell custom-made / homemade furniture?) And if you have a solution for this, I'd love to hear it!

Sincerely,

yordi

If marketplace working for others, can it work for you?

perhaps there are no good alternatives and marketplace is a good starting point.

We have found insta to be great, but it all depends on your target market.

don't bother with facebook or instagram, total waste of time in my opinion, never had one inquiry or serious offer on there, I'd go for making your own website and use etsy to sell it, re-direct the traffic to etsy from your website, the problem with FB and insta is the algorithm is like a black box that you can never control or fully work out, and when it's against you and you've been shadowbanned it's almost impossible to grow organically beyond a certain level, think of it as a monopoly, they OWN you and can shut you down at any moment.

Yes to website. You can still use all the other on-line outlets or free ad papers to plug it. Shop windows even!
They say only 5% of advertising works but you never know which 5%. But the more you put it about the more likely it'll get picked up.
Also get good at photography!
http://www.yordano.nl or yordano.com etc

Last edited:
I've often thought about doing the same thing. It might be better to find a small but sympathetic retail outlet. The profit margin is not as good but you avoid all the hassle of packing, posting and customer care. I remember about 25 years ago two architects called Hale and Moss tried to start an auction business selling amateur furniture pieces. The venture never took off and they claim they lost 20K in the process.

if there are any in your local area it might be worthwhile doing some craft fairs as well, anything that gets eyeballs on your real furniture, there are many downsides to it but at least it's real.

Back