When is a Tormek not a Tormek?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went to the local Woodcraft this weekend to take a look. They didn't have it unpacked yet. My Tormek is one of my favorite tools, not sure Jet can make it any better.

OK - I'll play!

Tormek motor 200W, Jet 160W (doesn't say if continuously-rated).
Speed of Tormek 90RPM, Jet 90 - 150RPM via variable speed switch. Width of Tormek stone 50mm, Jet 63.5mm.
Tormek L 270 x W250 x H325mm, Jet L 406 x W305 x H330mm (measured from different places, I'd guess?).
Tormek weight 14.5Kg net, Jet 10.5Kg.

The are some differences in appearance of the bevel gauge and setting tool and the Jet jigs look a lot cheaper. The truing tool is almost identical to the tormek version. I quite like the idea of an under-machine drawer unit for the Jet (might have to make one of those!).

As Scrit pointed out, there are other clones available, especially from Sheppach. I think I'd still stick with the original if I was starting over.

Ray.

Ah yes, the Tiger. I remember when that came out we all thought "oh ho" and it turned out it was under licence or something. Is the Jet the same deal?

Ray, yeah, I liked the under-machine drawer thing too. Not sure if it'd really work under a hand-cranked grinder though :-k

Cheers, Alf

I suppose you can't patent the basic idea, and since the Tormek has been such an international success there are always going to be copy cats. For myself I've had need to ask a couple of question & Tormak have alwats responded promptly & comprehensively which is not always the case with some menufacturers. Better to stick with the original I say.

I've had a Tormek for a number of years and they do pretty much what the manufacturer says they will. There are still, however, one or two niggling bits of corner cutting which surprise me (like "high quality" knopbs on one or two bits). Hopefully the clones will get these right, but somehow the I can't help thinking that all they will do is cheapen the concept. :roll:

Scrit

as a tormek man i say stick the original, it does as scrit says, what they say on the tin.

the trueing stone set up seems the same, as do others of the jigs.

but since it works, i am happy to stay where i am, but i can see others
wanting to shave the pennies and why not??? :twisted:

at least using one gets the boring bits done quickly.

paul :wink:

actually that seems to be the one area they have not yet covered :lol:

and most drill sharpening jigs are an even bigger pia :twisted:

Agree Paul, one day someone is going to make a drill sharpening jig which is simple, accurate, & effective. Wonder what people here use for drill sharpening - if any,

the difficulty is that i was taught to sharpen drills when i were a lad,
but you do need a jig. somehow none of the machines seem to go below about3/32nd or the equiv in metric.

i use a lot of 1/8th or smaller, and they are really difficult. :cry:

got a good deal on one of those plas plug machines, but not used it yet,
since i bought 10 off of various sizes at ally pally, and they were as cheap
as the proverbial chips.

has anyone done a test of that plastic machine???

engineer one":2ley9eet said:
has anyone done a test of that plastic machine???

Hi Paul
I have as a friend I used to work with had one and they are good when set up but I just do mine by hand on the grinder :) .

Not as good but there do the job :wink:

I do mine on the grinder too - a fitter I used to work with showed me how.

There is a knack to it, but it isn't that difficult to learn - practice on some cheap bits.

The only thing to be careful off is that you keep both wings exactly the same size, or the bit will drill oversize.

Gary

Great link Spadge it has answered one question that has been bugging me and thats is.

Are jigs are compatible between both machines?

Yes they are.

and this is the jet jig I got my eye on

If it's of interest to anyone there are a lot of the Scheppach Tigers available at the moment at what I think is a good price of about £117. They are unusual in that they are green not yellow, said to be a factory foul-up, and are being sold off cheap.

A friend just bought one at the Stafford show. I have seen a stack of boxes in my local dealer. I have a Tormek so don't need one but I think they're a good buy.

As far as I knw the tormek fittings do fit - or so the guy on the stand at stafford told us.

regards

Colin

Latest posts

Back