When did the world go mad for Festool?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Google "Festool problem" and like any other brand you'll find shed loads of unhappy people, including this website ...

Random Orbital Bob":13joonos said:
Woodmonkey":13joonos said:
Yep, they even cover your tools for theft, can't argue with that

Really? So if you're on site and someone nicks your Kapex.......Festool will replace it? What documentary evidence do they accept to verify the status of that?

Since they no doubt just pass the claim on to their insurer a police crime number should be sufficient, just as with any other insurance claim. They do charge you £100 towards the replacement which presumably is the excess on the policy.

Random Orbital Bob":3nkwj8g1 said:
Woodmonkey":3nkwj8g1 said:
Yep, they even cover your tools for theft, can't argue with that

Really? So if you're on site and someone nicks your Kapex.......Festool will replace it? What documentary evidence do they accept to verify the status of that?
It's only for the first 3 years and all you need is your receipt and info on the theft ie crime number as far as I know.

Also you have to pay the first £100 but it's still more than any other manufacturers offer

I'd be keen to know what the Festool doubters have to say on the subject of Lie Nielsen planes over other brands. Or Maguire workbenches. Or Moore & Wright squares etc etc.

I own a single LN block plane (a gift) and a Moore and Wright square (boot fair find for £2) but neither can do anything my Stanley block plane (another boot fair find) and my Axminster japanese square for £21 can't do. They are just 'nicer' to work with. They certainly don't make me more profitable or efficient.

90% of my power tools are Festool.

Does it make me more efficient? Probably not.
Does it make me more money? I doubt it.
Does it produce better results? Unlikely in most cases.
Do I give a rats sphincter if some people don't like Festool? See previous three responses.

I get enjoyment out of using well engineered tools that are sourced from a country which pays people an appropriate wage for the quality I get.

I have followed this thread with interest. I'm looking to buy a mitre saw. I've looked at various machines and tried a few brands. The Festool Kapex is, in my opinion head and shoulders above the opposition. I've looked at Bosch, Makita and De Walt at similar prices and specs but there is something about the way the Festool feels and just " works". I'll add one to the collection on Monday.

If anyone out there is tempted/thinking about buying any Festool power tools, you can do so and try it out for up to 15 days. If it fails to live up to your expectations for any reason, then you can send it back and you will get a Full Refund.....!!!! No questions asked!!!

On a personal note, I have never sent anything back. I have been satisfied with all my purchases, but I do plenty of research prior to buying what I need/want.

Distinterior":1b97pi1i said:
If anyone out there is tempted/thinking about buying any Festool power tools, you can do so and try it out for up to 15 days. If it fails to live up to your expectations for any reason, then you can send it back and you will get a Full Refund.....!!!! No questions asked!!!

Kind of like a free hire shop - next time I've got some edge banding to do I'll go and grab a Conturo for a couple of weeks.
There must be people who do that, I wonder if they keep track of serial tool returners.

I'm guessing they don't care and are fully aware of it. Corporations as smart as Festool will just write that off as a "cost of doing business". Their marketing management will know that for every "clever dick" that thinks he's being cunning by getting something for nothing, there are ten genuine punters who want their risk mitigating by trying it first. They're so confident in their quality that if they can persuade a noob to try, they are unlikely to want to let it go and wind up purchasing. (It's called the puppy dog close in sales circles)

I wonder what other "premium" products Festool owners use?

Do you have a Miele washing machine, tap out your replys on an Apple Mac and drive a Mercedes? :lol: :lol: :lol:

woodpig":2fqbm82i said:

Do you have a Miele washing machine, tap out your replys on an Apple Mac and drive a Mercedes? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have a few Festool items now since purchasing my Domino last year and I don't regret the purchase of any of them. The only issue I have personally had with a Festool product was with a lever clamp which wouldn't fit into my guide rail more than an inch. I contacted Festool and they sent out a replacement immediately and told me to keep the other as it could still be used in my multifunction top.

I try to buy high end products whenever I can throughout my life. I often find they last longer, can have better design features and give a feeling of perceived benefit. My wife used to swear by her cheapy digital watches and always had a go about my watches until I bought her a very nice Seiko Kinetic watch which she wears all the time now. I don't drive a Mercedes though, that is because I would rather have a higher end car from a less high end manufacturer and I like to replace it with a new car every 5 years, I couldn't do this with a Merc or a Beemer, too rich for me!

Yesterday I bought a New Dyson DC39 Animal Cylinder cleaner (arriving today), the old Dyson cylinder we have is still going strong and has done so for about 15 years, it will still be kept of other work around the house. Would a cheaper vacuum cleaner have done the job, possibly, but we have faith in the brand, like the 5 year guarantee and the fact that they offer an all inclusive annual service contract at the end of the 5 years which will also be available for a further 10 years.

Each to their own, and I am not in any was denigrating they purchase and use of cheap items be they tools or any other items, but often I find that there can be compromises on use, quality and production techniques of some items which give rise to the old adage of buy cheap, buy twice! That is not to say there are not some gems out there to be had cheaply that will counter that statement.

As I said, each to their own.

I must confess I'm similar to you Ed as a general rule. I used to really poo poo some of the cheapies coming out of Aldi and Lidl but occasionally one of your gems surfaces there so it does pay to keep your eyes open. One of the reasons I like the opinion on here, you get a pretty good perspective on the goods and bads.

woodpig":19xp1nuh said:

I've got a Bosch or should I say the wife has lol. Wouldn't touch apple with a barge pole and drive a vw van and Audi car so yes I like quality which funny enough is usually German :)

Sent from my Hudl HT7S3 using Tapatalk

woodpig":3dpx0sgb said:

You must be pretty starved of entertainment if that's all you've got to wonder about, :lol: :lol: but to humour you & because England have just been bowled out & im waiting on the resumption, in order of asking much like Chippy the wife's got a Bosch washing machine (admittedly I did have to go look) I only use an IPad these days but I also drive a VW Transporter though I have no interest in cars what so ever.

Back