When did the world go mad for Festool?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jmac80":27rope38 said:
Hi ed.
do you have some kind of splitter on your Festool vac?
Would like one that is standard size hose and a larger one on the other side for mitre saw.

I have both a Y splitter on my vac (actually it's on the Cyclone) and an additional power socket in the CT26L.

Y piece: http://www.powertool-supplies.co.uk/fes ... -50-v.html its a pity that it doesn't have blast gates fitted as that would make it much more versatile.

Power socket: http://www.powertool-supplies.co.uk/fes ... -240v.html

The power socket states that it needs to be fitted by an electrician, but this is H&S overkill, its a plug in socket and only takes a few minutes to fit. Well worth the extra money for it, I use it every time, Kapex in one and plug it in the other.

With regards to the plug it leads how is this any different from a traditional kettle where you have to unplug to fill it with water? How many people would actually turn it off at the mains? It's a case of this is what you should do (best practice) vs this is what most people will do (standard practice). Obviously any reply from Festool is going to tell you the safest option as they can afford to expose themselves to people who decide to wash their plug it lead in a sink full of water whilst it's still connected and powered on. It's obviously stupid but if the instructions don't say to unplug when not using etc then they could technically be liable.

It's a bit like the packet of peanuts that says "may contain traces of nuts". We laugh at it because it's obvious but if someone bought them and claimed to not realise that peanuts would affect their but allergy and there was no warning the company could in theory be liable.

I guess it's the litigation culture. I have to say if I was a judge I wouldn't be very understanding of these sorts of claims. I'd be more likely to award Darwin awards than compensation.

I'm about to go on holiday, so have to keep it short.

The youtool rail is fit for purpose, but clearly not as well made as the original festool. The youtool is made from heavier thicker stock, and has rough edges that might need filing if you worry about scratching yourself.

Mine came wrapping in a single piece of cardboard, and there are dents on two corners of the rails, however the cardboard seems ok.

I do have to file those dents off if I want to run the tool from off the edge, however I already have 1400 rails, so I shouldn't need that, this is for cutting smaller stock.

The grippy stuff underneath seems fine, different but fine, the plastic smooth strips on top seem ok, you can tell the rail has more heft, it is certainly heavier.

The final thing is that the buttons you turn to stop any play needed tightening, so that might be a bit annoying if moving between rail makes, as those knobs are quite hard to turn.

After delivery I paid €50, so £40, which is about the same as originals DM-Tools, and I've seen it cheaper on Amazon (£40 with free delivery)

I think the longer rails might be better value compared to Festool.

So - not unhappy, glad I got it, don't expect the same quality though.

K9s63hX.jpg

hu17OQy.jpg

aNTlkwF.jpg

Back