What's your favourite wood?????

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greedo

Established Member
Reaction score
To work with it has got to be black American walnut for me. Visually it's lovely too.

My favourite looking wood though has to be Macassar ebony. Stunning wood. Pity it's about 20 grand a cubic metre. I have a 4 foot long, 2 foot wide and about 2 inches thick bit someone gave me 10 years ago and I still haven't came up with the right thing to make with it. One day hopefully the right thing will give this stunning piece of wood a new life. I pull it out every so often and just stare at it.

What's yours and come on lurkers. Even you lot should surely have a wood you love.

I was going to say Morning wood!

Padouk makes lovely cimmon coloured shavings and smells spicy, so its one of my favourite woods.

Pete

My god there are sooo many

A few of my favs would be Bubinga for the stunning figure and colours, all that beautiful wavey and wandering grain never fails to bring a little smile to my face, and in the same category would be Yew because of those amazing colour variations and patterns you find truly a work of art straight from mother nature (not that every other tree isn't :wink: )

But I would have to say my favorite to work with would have to be American Cherry, Its smells so good i could eat the shavings as they come off the plane, it works beautifully, and looks stunning with any finish.

Andy

As I've only ever worked with Cherry, Oak, Chestnut and Pine (all ready available and relatively inexpensive) I would have to say Cherry. But I change my mind alot and at any point in time it could easily be one of the others.

I love the look of American Black Walnut, Teak and my favourite Mahogany, but the one I like working with is Beech, nice tight grain, crisp and sharp edges. :D

Rippled maple/sycamore and yew - both seemingly hard to find around here in Alloa!

Greedo - if you need inspiration for what to do with you mac ebony, how about milling it into a back and side set for an acoustic guitar? Here's a pic of the one I made using mac ebony :

Cheers,
Adam

Attachments

• _MG_3935.jpg
    _MG_3935.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 47
  • _MG_3944.jpg
    _MG_3944.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 47
  • _MG_3953.jpg
    _MG_3953.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 47