Whats your day job?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Retired professional cricketer, now an architect and occasional developer.

One of the reasons I never do any drawings for the furniture I make is that I spend too long sitting drawing doing the day-job.

Mike

Building and carpentry for eight years now. Trying to get more work in the workshop. This weather is a problem working outside getting wet. Started making furniture, kitchens etc.

ex-cabinet maker with three years training at what was the London college of furniture.

Now dodging redundancy in IT whilst trying to do system integration design for a rather well known and soon not to be yellow insurance company.

Shultzy":3ngbxg53 said:
Before I retired I was in IT, amazing how many IT people's hobby is woodwork.

Or is it just that IT types are more inclined to turn to an internet forum for their hobby than join a local group or evening class?

My day job is a technical design authority for one of the big 4 mobile phone companies.

Housework quality-control, car and van driver/cleaner, lawn maintenance operative, cleaning manager of the external awareness modules (windows), weekly quad-wheeled container operative (shopping trolley), household Internet search-engine guru, domestic shelf-filler/stockist, occasional woodworking.

In other words, retired! :)

Ray.

Senior lecturer in cerebrovascular genetics - looking for the genes that contribute to strokes and heart attacks basically, although any disease will do!

Steve.

Please don't hurt me.....

Customer Service Manager for an energy company (I won't say which one...)

:twisted:

The reason I took this up is that driving a desk all day or managing people can be hard work and challenging (and rewarding), but you almost never have anything tangible to show for your efforts.

Two years ago I found an evening class to go on and by the end of this year I should have my own handbuilt electric geetar. Also went on a week long bicycle frame building course this year never having wielded an oxy acetylene torch in my life. Now ride round on my own handbuilt by me mountain bike. That was very rewarding

AndrewC":1p6uimkh said:
Except that most of the time is spent working out the equivalent of why when I pushed the button the lights didn't come on :(

In a previous life I was an electronic design engineer - that sounds incredibly familiar! :lol:

Ironballs":2zuj7sdj said:
Two years ago I found an evening class to go on and by the end of this year I should have my own handbuilt electric geetar. Also went on a week long bicycle frame building course this year never having wielded an oxy acetylene torch in my life. Now ride round on my own handbuilt by me mountain bike. That was very rewarding

you've got some interesting courses up there!

Mike Garnham":b0vq1tej said:
Retired professional cricketer, now an architect and occasional developer.

One of the reasons I never do any drawings for the furniture I make is that I spend too long sitting drawing doing the day-job.

Mike

God God! You're the Mike Garnham that played for Essex and Gloucestershire? :shock: I thought I recognised the name!

UK IT Infrastructure manager for one of the big 3 Accountants. Same as a few people have mentioned so far, I was sick of working my a$$ off all day, keeping someone else's network and systems up and running, feeling knackered at the end of the day with absolutely nothing visible or tangible to show for the effort.

Woodwork is the exact opposite of that (well, sometimes it's exactly the same, but I try and blank those days out :oops: :lol: ).

Mark

Vormulac,

I only played 3 games for Gloucestershire when I was a kid......but you missed Leicestershire from your list.

Mike

Hi,

Former parrot trainer, parrot trainer, parrot trainer, parrot trainer, parrot trainer, parrot trainer now IT techie.

Pete

Back