whats this for ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul-c

Established Member
Reaction score
thingy 4.jpg
hi all
im sure someone will have the answer to this - i got quite a bit of stuff when i bought my first lathe and have stored this peice for over 13 years now but still dont know what its for, i have all sorts of ideas as to what it is but non of them make much sense.
so finally got around to asking you guys.
cheers paul-c

Attachments

• thingy 1.jpg
    thingy 1.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 1,790
  • thingy 2.jpg
    thingy 2.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 1,790
  • thingy 3.jpg
    thingy 3.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 1,790
  • thingy 4.jpg
    thingy 4.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 1,790
I think Mick's right. Think Craft Supplies used to do one, the idea is to cut rings out of a flat board which can be glued together to make a sort of segmented bowl. The problem, as I see it, is that the possible shapes of the bowl are pretty limited as this tends to produce a fairly conical shaped blank.

HTH

Richard

hi
thanks for that gentlemen.
that was one of my thoughts but i decided it couldnt be a bowlsaver because the angle of the slots were facing the wrong way however as richard says it was for making a flat board into a bowl they are the correct way around (in my mind anyway).
cheers paul-c

I have one of these too. Came with a job lot of tool rests. Been wondering for a while what it was for. All I need to do now is work out how to use it.

barrywat":1s6xitko said:
All I need to do now is work out how to use it

Hi

Essentially you mount a piece of board which has been planed with both faces parallel to the lathe - I'd suggest using a faceplate but only using the innermost ring of screws.

Set the tool rest up so as the tool , (a suitably width sized parting tool), is cutting on the centre line and the rest is parallel to the work on the face plate.

Starting from the outside and using the parting tool, cut a series of 'rings', (actually truncated hollow cones), from thre stock.

These rings will now fit together to form a hollow 'cone' shaped bowl, use the centre from the faceplate as the base - glue up with PVA / Cascamite / Epoxy and when dry refine the profile of the bowl.

That's the basics - there are other options to use contrasting woods or use the cut outs as the basis for segmented work.

Regards Mick

Edited to add: You may wish to add a thin, 6mm, disc of mdf sandwiched between the faceplate and the blank to prevent getting tool marks on the faceplate.

Many thanks Mick, when I get all the work on the house done in a few weeks I'll have time to spend in the workshop so will give it a go.
Barry

Definately a Craft Supplies toolrest,and as the others have said its for making a bowl out of flat boards,if you don`t want to end up with a conical shape,make the rings wider,then you can the shape you want,cheers,

Eric.

thanks to everyone who has helped.
as always ukworkshop forum members come up with the answers. =D> =D>
cheers paul-c

Latest posts

Back