What would you do with these?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuartpaul

Established Member
Reaction score
I claimed these from work when they were going to be thrown out on the basis that they'd come in useful for something. 12 years on and I still haven't managed to find a use for them so as a part of the preparations for downsizing exercise they're about to become firewood.

They're almost certainly teak given age and what they were designed for (not rolling pins!). I thought about squaring them up but quite frankly don't think it worth the effort to produce something like 40 mm (or even smaller) blanks.

I've got about 20 so if anybody has any ideas .........

i cannot see the pictures at work, because of a block on links to hosting sites. so i have to guess what they look like!

It depends a bit on what you could do with the objects once made.

if i had some blanks at 40mm square, assuming that they were long enough, i plan to have a go at making some nice skipping rope handles to raise a few quid for my daughter's school at their summer fete, and to get some skew practice. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwVVL-5XNbI

If you turn, i suspect that you will find more uses for them than if you dont. there must be plenty of other uses for them though.

If you know a turner I am sure they can put them to good use, just a thought.

john

It would be terrible to burn such a rare wood as Teak now.
Pop them on eBay and someone will buy them and make good use of them.

are they the rungs if a rope ladder. Sacrilege to burn teak - what about tool handles etc?
Mark

gasman":1dzz1c53 said:
are they the rungs if a rope ladder. Sacrilege to burn teak - what about tool handles etc?
Mark

Or indeed, rope them together and make a ladder again!
Surely someone will then buy it as a decorative feature or to use on their boat.

I've seen something similar used with carrier bags - the bag's plastic 'handles' sit in the grooves, rather than cutting into one's hands. -

It's like watching countdown this....I'm sat here staring at the screen but nothing's coming into my head.

make some roller stands or similar for a router table/table saw. Or use them as rollers for moving heavy things such as machines around

Hi

They could be turned into salt / pepper grinders with very little waste - or dare I say, rolling pins with a quick skim

Regards Mick

If you are thinking of turning them the last thing you want to do is square them into "blanks". You can turn them from round you know, you don't have to start from square (not a lot of people know this :roll: )

Just an idle thought - what about claves and flog them on ebay? Or start a salsa band?

Upcycle them into rolling pins - vintage salvaged ships rope ladder etc
Matt

mseries":gb632hd9 said:
make some roller stands or similar for a router table/table saw. Or use them as rollers for moving heavy things such as machines around

Or indeed, tiny versions of Stonehenge. :D

By happy coincidence, my jobs list has just gone up by the number of 1. If you're interested in selling a few, I'd happily reply to a pm. I'm after making a handle for a billhook. I wasn't this morning, now it seems that I am. Such is life.

Back