What wood2?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimB

Established Member
Reaction score
Our son drives around the state a fair deal and, like any sensible person, he carries a saw in his car and brings a few bits back to me. This one is fascinating in its similarity to a well-known timber. I'm afraid the octagonal handle is a bit out of focus so I rough turned a piece I had lying around.
It turns well, polishing off the tool but is a little lighter than you'd expect. It's an oddity rather than a useful timber but it's fooled a few people.
If anyone has it in the garden they're in trouble. Vann probably knows it.

Attachments

• P1012023.JPG
    P1012023.JPG
    128.9 KB · Views: 809
  • Pic_0727_048.jpg
    Pic_0727_048.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 809
I had to look that one up Vic. That's pretty bad. Worse than the triffids - at least they might walk away.
This is an environmental weed but I don't think you would get it in the UK.

Oh it's in the UK alright, but it would only be the root that might be woody, the roots can be huge in length, many metres, but I am not sure they are woody enough to turn.

The piece looks a little like Gorse going by the side grain, end grain would give a clearer ID for that.

Kim, this one isn't gorse but I can see some similarity. It's a spreading shrub and can grow to about 6 metres in height. Because of its branching and fissures it is hard to get useable pieces.

I think this one is too exotic though with global warming its area might spread. It is African Boxthorn related to the nightshade family, Lycium ferocissimum
When turned it has an uncanny resemblance to true box and even feels something like it. The smell when turning is not pleasant and I doubt if it's healthy. I dried a piece in the microwave and the smell went through the house. That microwave is now in the shed and the kitchen has a new one.
It's a problem in Australia and New Zealand where it was imported for hedging.

Never heard of that one Jim, sounds like one to avoid! Thanks for posting it up though, always interesting to learn about new woods.

Roger C":1laklq02 said:
Jacaranda declared a weed here in RSA
Most of our weeds seem to be South African so I reckon you've got the better part of the trade. :D
ps just found out that it's not native to Australia - always thought it was a native Queensland tree. :oops:

We both have the Brits to thank for the spread of weeds ha ha
Native to Brasil and other South American countries

Ahh, I like the cute little bunnies. Want some ?

Racking my brain here.... where did myxomatosis come here from ?

Grahamshed":2r2w9x1o said:
Ahh, I like the cute little bunnies. Want some ?

Racking my brain here.... where did myxomatosis come here from ?
Wasn't that France?
ps checked up. It went to the UK from France but was first tested in Australia in 1938. First noticed in Uruguay.

Back