What wood is this???

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alex s

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been sorting through all my wood as I start to fill my new workshop and came across this..
Now it is very heavy, the piece measuring 80mm x 300mm x 55mm is 1.8kg.
Almost black, but a small bit of lighter grain as seen in the photos.
All i can think of is ebony??

DSC01081.jpg

DSC01080.jpg

According to my book of wood types, Ebony can indeed have some lighter patches but the typical density is between 1 and 1.1.
Your measurements suggest a density of 1.36 which is exceptionally dense for wood.

The only wood I can find anywhere near that density is lignum vitae but the colour is wrong.

Sorry not much help!

Bob

i agree with hutch, looks like african blackwood to me, very heavy and hard material, made some pens from it.

Just looked up the density of African black wood (not in my book grr!)

and according to google it is 1.35 so I think that just about confirms it.

Bob

Thanks guys. This site is great for info. :)

So is it mainly used for turning?

Is there any intrest in it as I dont do turning, so a bit of a waste sitting in the workshop.

What would be a reasonable price?

Thanks

I've only ever used it for contrasting plugs and things like that. Get silly shapped bit from Yandles for 50p :lol:
Seemed to work easily enough with my basic setup.

alex s":3uu08fon said:
Thanks guys. This site is great for info. :)

So is it mainly used for turning?

Is there any intrest in it as I dont do turning, so a bit of a waste sitting in the workshop.

What would be a reasonable price?

Thanks

Philly has a liking for it:

blackwood+pair.jpg

cut it up into 3/4inch square x 5inch long section and put them on ebay as pen blanks.
Also known as Mpingu.

stevebuk":10x7noe8 said:
cut it up into 3/4inch square x 5inch long section and put them on ebay as pen blanks.
Also known as Mpingu.

Might make some money but that would be sacrilege Steve :shock: .

CHJ":3kualatj said:
stevebuk":3kualatj said:
Also known as Mpingu.

Might make some money but that would be sacrilege Steve :shock: .

i know what your saying chas but looks like he wont be using it and i thought its a shame to just sit there.
Although having said that, it doesn't fetch that much money on ebay anyway, i bought 5 blanks for £3.00.

maybe he should offer it as is to the flat boarders eh!

Back