UV resin

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heronviewer

Established Member
Reaction score
I have used CA glue and epoxy resin for crack and hole filling, but not UV resin.
Just been watching a video of bowl turning using UV resin. What light is used to set the resin and is it successful ?
Incidentally, the turner didn't seal cracks until he was nearly finished - I usually seal them from very near the start to avoid them getting worse as I turn the bowl.

I use UV resin for cracks, casting, smoothing 3D prints, protecting labels similar to a varnish. I use the cheapest gear you can get. A rechargeable UV lamp which I think is used by people in electronics and a nail varnish curer. For the cube light I made a reflective box with lid. I can place the light and lid over what I'm curing or if it's small enough I can put it inside the box with the lid on to get all around curing in one go.
1000031392.jpg
1000031394.jpg

Just pick up any nail light (uv) from Amazon… works very well

UV resin is used at the end of turning because the UV light will only penetrative so far into the crack, you would then turn it away and potentially find uncured resin, especially if you add pigments, much better to get the piece to an almost finished state then resin it and pass with a finishing cut or sanding.

Daylight, not through glass which can filter out some uv, will work, albeit more slowly than a proper lamp. But as a try out without buying any new kit it's OK, especially for things that are easy to carry outside the workshop. ( Most weather apps include a uv forecast.)

Of passing interest. I was filling the car at a Tesco today and idly looking at the unnecessary-stuff-and-things adverts on top of the pump. One item on offer was a 6x led UV torch for £3.99.

The nail varnish lamps and the PCB work lamps operate at the optimal wavelength for UV resin. Those torches are best reserved for finding those embarrassing stains.

I was at a seminar about UV resin at a woodturning symposium last weekend. The presenter said the resin and light should be matched as the resins are made to activate with a specific nanometer range. If the light is outside the range the resin was made to activate at the resin won't set properly. The manufactures usually have flashlight or lights that match their resin. I bought some resin from a local hobby store and used a flashlight with 100 leds in it made for finding dog urine and the resin was soft and rubbery so he might have been on to something. Don't take the light into your bathroom or a hotel bathroom as the amount of pee on the walls will freak you out.

From a safety standpoint. Do not look at the light or the reflected light coming off the wood. It will damage your eyes so wear the recommended safety glasses and or cover the project.

Get a light the resin manufacturer recommends and buy a good brand of resin. The results are worth it.

Pete

I'll add the presenter said resin that does not receive light will not harden but there are special ones that have about 1% of MEKP in them that will harden slowly in spaces the light will not get to.

I was at a seminar about UV resin at a woodturning symposium last weekend. The presenter said the resin and light should be matched as the resins are made to activate with a specific nanometer range. If the light is outside the range the resin was made to activate at the resin won't set properly. The manufactures usually have flashlight or lights that match their resin. I bought some resin from a local hobby store and used a flashlight with 100 leds in it made for finding dog urine and the resin was soft and rubbery so he might have been on to something. Don't take the light into your bathroom or a hotel bathroom as the amount of pee on the walls will freak you out.

From a safety standpoint. Do not look at the light or the reflected light coming off the wood. It will damage your eyes so wear the recommended safety glasses and or cover the project.

Get a light the resin manufacturer recommends and buy a good brand of resin. The results are worth it.

Pete

I'll add the presenter said resin that does not receive light will not harden but there are special ones that have about 1% of MEKP in them that will harden slowly in spaces t
That's very interesting - thank you !

Daylight, not through glass which can filter out some uv, will work, albeit more slowly than a proper lamp. But as a try out without buying any new kit it's OK, especially for things that are easy to carry outside the workshop. ( Most weather apps include a uv forecast.)
I've been thinking of dipping my toe into this stuff, not literally you understand :oops:, the idea being for repairs on my RC Gliders?

Richard, any idea where I could get some sunshine from please?

Back