What will happen to your tools when you die?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At the age of 75 and needing both knee joints replacing (currently on a list), I can certainly relate to this problem. One of the worst things is that many young people have adopted the "buy it cheap and throw-away attitude", this has led to the value of many things being on the floor. We used to have a thriving second hand tool shop nearby, which has closed. The owner stated that young people do not have hobbies like many older customers, so placing tools became so much more difficult. I am still hopeful of being able to sell on much of my accumulated tools via thia forum, time will tell. I would rather do that so that good tools will remain in use.

I just bought someone's storage rack, full of tools nuts bolts washers of
all sorts, kind of creeped me out this morning going through it all.
Saw this post and decided to take photos of tools and will put guide price
for the better half to flog when I'm gone.
Thought it would take me a couple of hours but its monumental task, cut
story short, will only do it for big tools the rest is just what ever they go for.

Sorry if my writing is a bit awry, down to dyslexia it's a real pain..lol
We had a chap who had a heart attack one day after saying at our shed if we don't do any work today I'm going home!!
Anyway the council gave the nok one week to clear his bungalow and I was asked to clear his shed. That as a bit moving....

You could use the sake of tools to pay for your funeral?

You could use your tools to make your box?

Scaffold boards halved are 6'6" and 9" wide so 3 wide and two high might suffice!

5 boards! 😥

when my dad died suddenly I was working out of the country...no will......
he knew I wanted his tools.....nothing special really just a Norris or two.....
My brother stole em and pixxed it up the wall....Alcoholic....

when Ieft France I gave 3-4 van loads of tools and stuff to a young guy with a young fmily, who had nothing...
started to do that again.....

My wife and I have a code thats marked on all the machines at slighty lower levals at todays prices.....nobody would ever guess what they are.....
wouldn't like to be the guy that tries to rip her off.....she'll eat em alive.....
anyway
I did plan on finding a youth here to teach em what I know and then just give everything away.....but nobody is interested....
so it's all gonna be sold.....prices here are often 50% more than the UK.....so room to sell quick at lower prices.....
there's rather a lot of pro machines and smaller stuff...
I'm gradually getting stuff in order and stacked n packed so anybody can find it all....

At the age of 75 and needing both knee joints replacing (currently on a list), I can certainly relate to this problem. One of the worst things is that many young people have adopted the "buy it cheap and throw-away attitude", this has led to the value of many things being on the floor. We used to have a thriving second hand tool shop nearby, which has closed. The owner stated that young people do not have hobbies like many older customers, so placing tools became so much more difficult. I am still hopeful of being able to sell on much of my accumulated tools via thia forum, time will tell. I would rather do that so that good tools will remain in use.
I think second-hand shops, like jumble sales, have disappeared owing to the use of eBay, Facebook Marketplace and Charity shops etc. When I were a lad, Exchange and Mart was still flourishing, and you could buy wind-up gramophones for 10/- at jumble sales. I used to buy giant radiograms, and strip them for components. Seems crazy now, when you can order a thousand SMT resistors on Amazon for next to nothing.

ebay them.

Tools given to sheds and charities are (in my opinion) UNappreciated, often misused, frequently sold on for a pittance or even thrown out as soon as they are blunt.

If someone takes the trouble to look for a tool on ebay and pay something for them, they tend to value it more. Yes there are fees and yes it takes time to list things, but ebay is a better way to get your tools into the hands of people who will appreciate them.

The problem with the sheds and charities is that they don't have time, motivation and often limited even no knowledge of tools at all.

Harsh, but I think disappointingly true.

ebay them.

Tools given to sheds and charities are (in my opinion) UNappreciated, often misused, frequently sold on for a pittance or even thrown out as soon as they are blunt.

If someone takes the trouble to look for a tool on ebay and pay something for them, they tend to value it more. Yes there are fees and yes it takes time to list things, but ebay is a better way to get your tools into the hands of people who will appreciate them.

The problem with the sheds and charities is that they don't have time, motivation and often limited even no knowledge of tools at all.

Harsh, but I think disappointingly true.
Unfortunately very true - I volunteer with a county-wide charity and offered loads of advice when they approached me wrt setting up a mans shed.
They are so bureaucratic it would take them years to agree to anything, sign it off and actually get anything practical done.
I've almost given up trying with them these days, they appear to have a rigid hierarchical structure whereby some presumably 'wise' soul higher up the tree has to agree before the minions can 'make it so'.
A good example - the charity operate community buses for ferrying folk around for medical appt's, social gatherings, shopping etc and their call desk was shorthanded, so the charity reached out for volunteers to man the phones.
I volunteered to do 2 days and that was subsequently shortened to half a day a week... - result the poor guy manning and training the newbies had 14 souls each week he had to 'show the ropes' - utter madness!!

We had a chap who had a heart attack one day after saying at our shed if we don't do any work today I'm going home!!
Anyway the council gave the nok one week to clear his bungalow and I was asked to clear his shed. That as a bit moving....

You could use the sake of tools to pay for your funeral?

You could use your tools to make your box?

Scaffold boards halved are 6'6" and 9" wide so 3 wide and two high might suffice!

5 boards! 😥
It's not far fetched, my old tutor used to have us kerfing wide boards on rainy days
by hand, back then you knew how to keep a saw sharp...

What's kerfing wide boards?!

Back in the day carpenters were often funeral directors.

Mine were - west's of Dagenham!

Hello,
5 years since we decided to sell up. I had a massive workshop, I made it big enough to get my tractor in. Sold everything over one year, tractors, machinery, workshop tools and machinery. We had decided that we had lived enough in the country, 1/2 mile of hedges to cut and all that. The proceeds from the sale of all this stuff paid for the stamp duty and the cost of moving. We now live in the centre of a city with a large double garage all part of the house, much much better. I have been replacing some of the equipment I missed as one wants to carry on making stuff. A lot of this stuff has come from deceased owners. There does seem to be an active market from relatives and small operators selling off deceased owners tools. The stuff I have acquired even has original purchase receipts. I have a wonderful Meddings pillar drill, from a model steam engineer that is in amazing condition, owner deceased. Same with a workbench, Sjoberg from about 1970, hardly a mark on it. It is very easy to get rid and acquire with the www world. Far from how it used to be scanning the classified ads on the day of publication.
Regards
Scanning the classifieds on the day of publication, there’s a memory! Buying my first car, was it called ‘loot’, going down to Bristol on the bus with £1000 in my pocket to have a look at it, felt like a real man, aged 17.

In relation to that point about donating to local enthusiast, are there any members here from Ireland? (Midlands in particular). Might be a while before I need to use this option!😝

I had another thought about this.....
my wife is 20 years younger than me.....!!!!!!!!
told her to find somebody else....
he might like a ready made workshop.....
he'll look after the tools and the wife.........hahaha.....

Latest posts

Back