What type of wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinytim1458

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi I have to make some skipping rope handles for a local group.
As it's children that would be using the skipping ropes Would you know what type of wood I should use or not use for them.
I don't know if I'm supposed to use hardwood or softwood or what type of wood to use.
I hope you can help.
Thanks.
Tim.

i made a few of these 12 months ago. I used cherry and some spalted beech (with sash cord as the rope). I cant remember what finish i used, but would guess at probably hard wax oil or BLO and some wax over the top.

If i was doing some more, i would use similar timber if i was selling to their parents or grandparents. If you are marketing them to the kids themselves, bright painted colours tend to be more appealing. My daughter (aged 6) has little interest in nice wood grain, although this will be corrected in the years to come!!! :)

Beech is a nice balance between being fairly plain, turns well and is stable. I wouldnt worry too much about what not to use- if skipping they are going to be beyond the chewing phase. Sand them well to avoid splinters. If you dont have beech, i would look at what you do have available, rather than going out to buy beech for the purpose. (I was placing an order with stiles and bates, so just added a few lengths of the cheaper species of 40mm spindles to the basket).

If you are making a batch, it is handy to round a long length to a fairly consistent dowel and start from there. I did mine as simple as i could for speed- a straight handle, drilled and counter-bored to hold the knot. You need to do a test one to check that the knot fits but doesnt pull through and to check that it isnt too big for a small hand. I added a couple of burn marks as a detail and that was it. Obviously you could make the design more ornate and shaped if you wanted to.

I would use Beech- Ash or fruitwood.

Avoid Iroko or woods known to cause allergic reactions, kids have a habit of putting things in their mouths.

Back