What to put on garage workshop worktops?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dvddvd

Established Member
Reaction score
I have the framework built from my previous work benches and had 18mm MDF on before.

I'm thinking of putting new worktops on and would 18mm plywood be better? maybe a softwood front edge fitted?

It would be bought from Wickes/ B and Q

check out your local magnet/howdens etc and wickes/b&q as they often have damaged lengths of kitchen worktop for not a lot of money (as it saves them the cost of disposal)
I got a 3m length for £20 from magnet for use in my shed/workshop and the only damage was a small chunk taken out of the back bottom edge which even in a kitchen wouldnt have been seen!

I have a length of worktop you could have? 2+m 38mm laminate worktop grey?
I'm in Harrogate Saturday night and could meet nearer to you?

I'm in Baildon West Yorkshire, but I'm in Harrogate each Saturday evening on dad's taxi meeting. Have couple of hours spare so could come over drop off another Saturday if required?

If it’s a garage workbench for general use I would be inclined to put a top layer of hardboard, with small cs screws, to provide a replaceable surface over mdf/ply/chipboard. Good old fashioned hardboard is a surprisingly hard wearing surface and copes well with oil etc.

I got loads off Facebook for free. Quite old and usually hideous colours but saves someone taking it to the tip, and just cut off the naff bits and away you go.

Adidat

I think MDF works well personally
Valchromat is the ultimate but over £200 a sheet - I used MR MDF for my workshop as I didn't have the budget for the valchromat / fibracolour
I just checked and its £297 for a full sheet of Fibracolour

For glue-ups I throw a small sheet of DPM on top which I roll up and store when not using it - if you do a lot of gluing perhaps something more shiny / less absorbent would be a better worktop surface, but the MDF works for me as I don't do gluing all that often
With ply, I have the feeling it could splinter if you cut into the top (like you tend do with a track saw), whereas with MDF you can puts lots of little cuts in it and its still fine

Martin

I have the framework built from my previous work benches and had 18mm MDF on before.

I'm thinking of putting new worktops on and would 18mm plywood be better? maybe a softwood front edge fitted?

It would be bought from Wickes/ B and Q
If you get ply out of Wickes, watch out they dont send you the tatt

eg
If you go for the structural, you wont get the nice faced stuff as in the pic, they'll send you the white faced, full of knots,cracks and splits.
(pic 2)
https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Structural-Plywood-CE2+---18-X-1220-X-2440mm/p/252240
If you can, go pick it yourself.

Thanks in the end I bought 3 lengths of 3000mm x 38mm laminate worktop from Selco.
Im having it delivered and it cost around £45 a piece which seemed to be the cheapest I could find.

Back