What to paint plane handles with

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petesky58

Established Member
Reaction score
Could anyone tell me what you paint wooden plane handles with to bring them back to the original colour

If using blo make sure they're beech and not rosewood i made that mistake and it made rosewood go a nasty black colour

Each to their own but personally I prefer the feel of wood, rather than shellac/varnish against my palm. I use an old fashioned beeswax & turps furniture polish - partly because I hate the smell of BLO and partly because my brother makes the beeswax polish (Cambridge Traditional Products), so I always have a ready supply! Also good for the sole.

I'm also a fan of the wood feel and give the handles and sometimes the whole plane and anything within an arms reach, while I've got the rag in my hand, a rub over with a beeswax and mineral oil paste. It also has a little shellac added but that's because I use the same formula for chopping boards and use left-overs in the workshop.

De-waxed shellac is my preference (though I do prefer BLO for saw handles for some reason). If you have more modern plane handles (lighter wood rather than rosewood) then you can make a shellac mix with a little bit of leather dye mixed in (e.g. Fiebing's Leather Dye, Dark Brown)

only thing to watch is beeswax can be a little soft and leave fingerprints, I prefer hardwaxes like peacock wax or alphie shine, both of them completely non toxic and smell great.

Back