What to get?????

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Argus

Established Member
Reaction score

I do hope that anotherlathe question will not go amiss.
I have a problem with a Record No 3 in vibration mode, the subject of another post on this forum.
As a Furniture maker, the Record is fine for most things but a bit agricultural for smaller work and I’m increasingly drawn to smaller pieces. Typically lace bobbins and other between centres stuff of the smaller diameter.

So, here’s my question.

If I were to go for a smaller table-top lathe for fine, small work, what would the best option be?
Features and speed control are in the equation.

I’m open to suggestions and offer thanks in advance.

the only hands on experience i have is with a CL2, but whenever i go to a show or demo, all the exhibitors seem to have little Jet lathes and seem to produce everything from thimbles to salad bowls, and it always makes me think 'so why the hell is my lathe the size of a small car?' :shock:

I have the AWVSL as mentioned by Mick and for the money it is a great little machine, I use mine mainly for spindle work such as pens, lightpulls etc but I have turned a couple of small bowls on it. The advantage of the 1416 is that you can turn bigger bowls, it a slightly more powerful motor and is better finished but for a second lathe I would definitely go for the AWVSL.

john

Latest posts

Back