what to do?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andyspark

Reaction score
Trying to decide what to do with my dads collection of stanley and record planes guys
theres 3 x no4s
1 x no 10 1/2
1 x no5
1 x no 44
1 x no 405
all in used condition, all need a really good clean
he retired 5 years ago and closed the doors , now moving to a 2 bed bungalow due to ill health due to sanding and cutting wood for 40+ years , theres food for thought about respirators etc

Thanks for reading
Andy

Either put them to use or sell them, perhaps clean up one and put on the side as an ornament/keep sake. Sorry if a little brutal but no point keeping 7 planes in a dusty drawer/box for your kids to ask the same question about in 40yrs.

Planes are pretty easy to pack and send so ebay is the easiest selling route. Either list them as they are and get a lower price, or spend the time to clean them up, get them sharp and working well and sell them for a little more. Look at sold prices on ebay to see what you can expect, then either put a reserve on them and they may take a while to sell, or no reserve and know they'll be gone after the first sale.

Or get a price from ebay sold items and list them on here, but we drive a hard bargain! The 10 1/2, 44 and 405 are less common and could command a health price if they are complete (cutters, box etc).

Fitz

you might be surprised at the value of those tools, if you're not going to use them it's worth selling them on here, once you've made a few posts you are allowed to sell, or sell it on gumtree, ebay e.t.c.

thanks guys i'll post some pics of my progress , thinking of glass casing 1 of the no 4s and trying to clean up and move on the 44 and 405 in the near future

20230408_174026.jpg

I think you have the right idea Andy. I'd put the best to one side and go to town on it and keep as a memory. The rest I'd sharpen, make them serviceable and sell.
When my late father passed I went through his bits and kept a few things. His collection of slotted screws face me every time I open my screws storage boxes and give me a smile.

Colin

That should be make me smile, although I suppose the slot across the head could look like a smile.

Last edited:
There's the vintage tools sale at Carlton Scroop village hall next Saturday. The dealers there may be interested or you could surreptitiously open up your boot in the car park
Brian

thanks guys i'll post some pics of my progress , thinking of glass casing 1 of the no 4s and trying to clean up and move on the 44 and 405 in the near future

Be aware that planes of different vintage hold different values, to those who are into that sort of thing; it would probably be worth your while figuring out what you have. There’s a website somewhere, that can be used to work out when your Stanley plane was made.

Back