What to do with my old workbench?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DTR

Established Member
Reaction score
Morning all,

When I started woodworking about four years ago, the first thing I made was a workbench. It has served me very well but it certainly isn't perfect; with the benefit of experience I have learnt what things I should have done differently. With that in mind I am close to finishing the Bench Mk2, which is longer, better built and so on.

So what do I do with the old bench? I'm too sentimental to chop it up for firewood. In an ideal world I would keep it for other uses (who wouldn't want a second bench?), but I lack the room. I am contemplating giving to someone worthy who could put it to good use, say, a woodworker just starting out. But other than that I don't know who. Any suggestions?

I second the recycle, every bit of wood used or new as something lurking inside just waiting to be found :)

Just built myself a new bench, the old one (which my dad built and is older than me) got recycled into some much needed shelving. But if you've got no room for it I'm sure you can find a beginner on here who would be glad of it.

I'm just starting out in real woodworking other than odd bits of DIY etc, I would be very grateful for a workbench as it's the next thing I need to get cracking on some actual projects, therefore if you decide not to recycle the wood then I would be more than happy to collect and give it a new home.

Adam9453":qsi1jwwg said:
I'm just starting out in real woodworking other than odd bits of DIY etc, I would be very grateful for a workbench as it's the next thing I need to get cracking on some actual projects, therefore if you decide not to recycle the wood then I would be more than happy to collect and give it a new home.

Hi Adam,

It looks like you're my candidate. Where about in Essex are you?

Like I said though, it's not pretty. The joints aren't great and the frame doesn't come apart for transport. It's been used as a bit of a test bed over the years so it has a few random holes. The vices (and holdfasts) are not included as they have been put on the new bench.

Here's a photo of it under some junk, taken last year:

DSC_1299.jpg

If you still want it let me know.

Thanks Dave it would be perfect for me to get started on and then when I move up to workbench mark 2 I'll give it to another beginner to keep the good thing going. I'm based in Harlow but I have a transit van so I'd be happy to collect from you. If you pm me your details we can organise a date & time. Thanks again it really is appreciated

Back