What Spec For a New PC?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calpol

Established Member
Reaction score
Hullo all, as the title suggests I'm going to buy a new comp! There's lots of numbers and whatnot floating around so generally I'd go with the higher the number, the faster the set-up... But that quickly gets expensive so thought I'd try and find what spec I need for what I use it for, namely CAD and Photoshop, browsing the 'ternet and MS Office.

I'd probably spend about £1000 maximum (don't need a monitor) and hopefully it'll last a few years at that rate.

Thanks for any help guys and dolls

I got a Quad Core 4gb of Ram 512 Graphics card Dell XPS at Christmas for the same tasks you outlined and it was £520. Just the main unit. Got it from their scratch and dent service.

If I was spending 1k I'd be buying something alienware!

Chems listed spec will be fine for what you have listed. For cad and Photoshop I'd get a bigger monitor, 24". It's always nice having a bigger screen!

£1k will get you what you need, deffo.

I used to be on this road years ago - in the end couldn't be @rsed with "keeping up".

Now I just buy a 2nd user base unit - dual core or whatever for £100-£200 typically and replace it every 2yrs. Or actually give it to the Wifey and kids for their tinternet machine.

I'm currently using a P4 with 1GB mem and a chunky GPU - and it runs Autocad and the odd bit of Gimp and I don't have any issues.

And the remaining £800-£900 certainly feels good in the pocket!

HIH

Dibs

Well for not much more you could buy one of these stonking machines....and it will run any windows programs.

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/FB952 ... S-EMEA-AFF

EDIT: For some reason the forum software is breaking this link..you need all of it...just copy and paste into the browser url bar.

There is also a 21" iMac at £1069.

Don't forget you get a load of well-written software also included.

And you can stop fretting about viruses.

Just a thought.

Thanks lads, I'll have at look for that sort of stuff and see what I can find...

My dad's starting a photography business soon so he'll probably look at an iMac Roger, but I have had a look at them before. Probably stick with Dell for the now though :D

I normally build my own system but I decided to get my last machine (March this year) built for me by these guys http://www.cougar-extreme.co.uk. Their service wasn't as good as Dell but it was more than acceptable (they clearly work very hard in a highly competitive market) and if you spec up a machine that won't work they will phone you to discuss options. Delivery was slow but that was my own fault as I wanted a component that I knew was out of stock across the country. I spent just shy of £1K and I got a blisteringly fast machine for the money.

I'd highly recommend going for an i7 processor (860 or later) if you can as it will eat through photoshop like it's not there. Whack in a ton of ram, 4GB is easily within budget, and stick Win 7 64bit on it so you can use it all. You probably don't need the latest gamin video card so you can save a good bit there but you should still look to get a half way decent card if you are planning on photo editing / cad etc.

Of course, dibs really speaks sense. I only went for the machine I did because the business was paying...

Slightly off topic but I was intrigued to see that the sheer processing power of graphics cards has been harnessed by some uni bods to test out the theory that the cards could be used to brute-force calculate a password and the conclusion was that passwords need to be over 7 characters IIRC.

My 'puter is now entering its second decade, so has to go, as its always short of virtual memory. (What the hell is virtual memory either you have memory or you don't)?

I think I like Dibs solution the best.

Gareth

Tying to keep it as non-technical as possible...

Essentially, the operating system takes all the physical ram in the computer and a chunk of disk space and presents it as one large memory space - this is virtual memory.

Windows systems use a special file on disk called pagefile.sys as it's chunk of disk. Linux, generally, is configured to use a separate disk partition or even a different disk which can have some serious benefits.

When Windows complains it's out of virtual memory it's actually complaining that the page file is full. This doesn't, however, mean that you should just make the page file larger (it is a user configurable setting) as it normally indicates a process with a memory leak rather than the page file being too small.

An interesting aspect of this system is the fact that disk access is at least 1,000,000 times slower than memory access so it would seem that if processes were running in the disk part of the virtual memory they would be very slow. The reason you don't normally see a slow down is because the operating system has some very clever algorithms that it uses to determine what parts of an application (called the working set) need to be in real memory and what parts can safely be shuffled off to disk. If your working set is larger than your physical ram you get disk thrashing as the operating system swaps bits in and out of physical ram while trying to make progress. Thrashing used to be a real problem on early memory constrained computers but it doesn't happen much now.

t8hants":3dw600g2 said:
My 'puter is now entering its second decade, so has to go, as its always short of virtual memory. (What the hell is virtual memory either you have memory or you don't)?

I think I like Dibs solution the best.

Gareth

I just replaced a few desktops with HP machines,

P4 2.8GHz
512MB Ram - could add some more for another £10 or so.
60GB drives - bigger ones are cheap as chips. Could have paid less without drives & banged larger newer drives in, but as they weren't for me - couldn't be bothered.
small form factor

£95 each. That works out at about £35/year cost, i.e <£3 per month - zero complaints with that. I can usually get them a little cheaper, but was in a rush.

HIH

Dibs

p.s Gareth how much physical memory does it have? And what type? I have loads of old memory lying about.

RogerS":1xzkshug said:
PeterBassett":1xzkshug said:
That apple is expensive for a core 2 duo. You're paying for design and a nice screen.

Quality always costs! :wink:

Quality doesn't - R&D & Company profits do. Or in this case Profits as it's made for them in China using what are probably off the shelf components. The PC's that is. :lol:

I just update my set-up every couple of years. As long as I can carry on using Windows XP, I'll stay with that strategy.

I did recently buy my first laptop. Just a 15" screen Toshiba. It seems to do all I need for on-line and writing, so I can now reserve the PC for the memory-hungry programs like Photoshop...

John :)

Latest posts

Back