What are the basic 'dogs' I need for my new bench? Theres alot of choice!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On a pillar drill, any movement at all messes the accuracy. Makes for a sloppy fit.
I can't see how a hand held power drill can make a really tight fit?
20mm router bit? Are they available?

I'm getting less confident that I can actually make this darned MFT top as time goes on :unsure:

Edit, I wonder if the UJK 20mm bit from the parf system and a brace are the way forward. Can at least do things very slowly to begin with and then just drill through the last 10mm or so once I know the hole is in the right place.

Just where I was when I decided to buy the cncdesign one?
Compare UJK price, or your time... and that postage starts to seem fair?
They do do a good job I found.

Just where I was when I decided to buy the cncdesign one?
Compare UJK price, or your time... and that postage starts to seem fair?
They do do a good job I found.

I've already bought the material for the top, I'd have to courier it two ways for a CNC solution. I've got lots of time (although I really should be doing my assignments) and the drill bit is expensive, but comparatively perhaps also the cheapest route now.

While I do love the Parf Guide System for the mind-bending accuracy, I'm not a huge fan of the drill bit as I find it clogs up all too easily and is just generally slow to drill holes with. That's with an extractor going full-pelt into the UJK dust shroud.
However, it may be down to the "limited choice" (you can have any type so long as it's this one) of MR-MDF up here. I'd only really suggest it if you're going to use the UJK bushing do-da to keep it perfectly vertical which it does very well.

If you're just looking at making 20mm holes with a hand drill I've yet to find a better bit than the :love:Zobo:love: ones. Like this. But that's not what you really want if you're looking for any sort of precision IMHO. With all I've said above, I'd still go the PGS route over anything else.

My only other suggestion would be a 'drill guide' (Bangood) to help keep
the drill steady?

Well as it happens I've got one on the way, so yes that might be the answer. I suppose I can always hook a brace up to it as well just so I can be ultra-cautious.

Hi

I recently had to cut two circular rebates into Sapelle wood paneling to accomodate a towel rail radiator so as it was vertical, they were 76mm diameter and 9mm deep. I made a jig that I fixed to the location aligning the X-Y axis and then used a router with a bottom trim bit to cut the rebates and nice clean job. So with a router fitted with a guide bush and 20mm cutter it should be possible to cut clean 20mm through holes, it is just a question of alignment.

I considered buying MFT replacement tops for my workbench, but I would need three of them to create the final size I wanted. The next step was to buy the Valchromat sheet and have it drilled at one of the local shops on their CNC. The only shop that had a platform large enough to handle a 1x2 meter sheet wanted €350 to cut the holes and would not guarantee the accuracy of the grid over the length of the sheet. At €81 per sheet, I didn't feel like experimenting.

I bought the UJK Parf Mk2, and am very happy with it. The drill guides make it nearly foolproof (I have seen some ingenious fools), and I can't find any faults in the accuracy over the length of the table.

The only time I experienced any fouling of the 20mm cutter was towards the end of the process when I wasn't using Peter Parfitt's "tap-tap-tap" method of cutting the holes and tried to remove too much material at once. As soon as I slowed down, the fouling stopped.

On a pillar drill, any movement at all messes the accuracy. Makes for a sloppy fit.
I can't see how a hand held power drill can make a really tight fit?
20mm router bit? Are they available?
Well Dave, I can assure you that my handheld DeWalt power drill with the Park Guide System Forstner bit supplied does make a really tight fit! Strange but true!

Another vote of confidence in the Parf Guide MkII here. I was highly skeptical of my ability to keep the holes aligned and vertical, but this system works a damned treat. Made two tops (1220 x 610) out of hardwood ply that I use on anti slip padded legs on my workbench (thanks to David Stanton for the idea). One for painting / cutting, and the other for less messy tasks. The hole alignment is superb, even when attaching a front skirt and aligning two sheets.

I was thinking of a 'tool' with a one off use - or at most needed every n months (years?)
hence share the cost?

Yeah sorry I meant whoever wanted to chip in means we could buy one and pass it round when needed. Would be quite trustful though!

Yeah sorry I meant whoever wanted to chip in means we could buy one and pass it round when needed. Would be quite trustful though!
Yes, I think it appropriate? With the forum as the only pressure to return / pass it on?
Or perhaps a 'fixed' price each user pays to the prior 'owner'?

I dont dislike the idea, but for ease it would be better if the item was bought by person 1 and simply sold on the for sale thread to the next person. There would be no pressure then if was kept for a bit longer (even forever). if it was damaged, it would affect the damager in the resale value. if a new drill bit was required, it would need to be bought by the buyer or seller but should be reflected in the price. it would reduce the risk substantially when nobody really knows each other. It could still be lent if the owner wished but there are no issues with having no specific owner.

The downside is for the person that wants to use it for a week every 6 months, if the owner doesn't want to sell it.

out of interest, what would potential users consider a sensible weekly hire charge be? I am not convinced that collective ownership would work, but maybe rental might. I would think it would need to be about £20 a week plus postage to be viable. There would need to be some form of insurance or deposit system.

If there is genuine interest and no better solution, I may consider doing this. Simply because I can see a use for it myself every few months but not enough to warrant buying one for just these tasks.

I was thinking about this earlier and figured £20+postage. If money exceeds cost then new tools can be bought?

Back