What are the basic 'dogs' I need for my new bench? Theres alot of choice!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definitely interested in the idea of a rental if it's something that can be gotten off the ground, or potentially even buying one myself and offering it for rent, again if its something that could be achieved via this site.

A DIYer in their garage can now spend about £200 on a saw, MDF top and dogs and get the same results as a professional panel saw costing a few thousand pounds that wouldn't even fit in said garage.

Though my Altendorf F90 cuts to a precision of 0.2 mm over 2.4 M :)
I paid £800 including transport, for my second one...

80780_011_r450.jpg

The outrigger lifts off and the support arm clips back to the machine.
Not only do you get a perfect rip, but on veneered board with a decent blade you cannot tell the cut face from the back, even cross grain. A blade speed of 5000 RPM may have something to do with it.
I even use it to cut mitres on a 9mm cock bead profile.

Altendorf invented the sliding table saw and are considered the Rolls Royce of saws, which is why I have 2 ..
To assume a track saw would be equal, is somewhat incorrect.

Though my Altendorf F90 cuts to a precision of 0.2 mm over 2.4 M :)
I paid £800 including transport, for my second one...

80780_011_r450.jpg

The outrigger lifts off and the support arm clips back to the machine.
Not only do you get a perfect rip, but on veneered board with a decent blade you cannot tell the cut face from the back, even cross grain. A blade speed of 5000 RPM may have something to do with it.
I even use it to cut mitres on a 9mm cock bead profile.

Altendorf invented the sliding table saw and are considered the Rolls Royce of saws, which is why I have 2 ..
To assume a track saw would be equal, is somewhat incorrect.
Would it fit in the back of my van?;)

Hi

I have just picked up some MDF to make some jigs and when you see these large saws at work there is no way a tracksaw or the like can compete with the speed that they can turn 8 by 4 sheets into much smaller panels. The tracksaw could definately do the job but it would take at least ten times longer. As for accuracy I would think that over the 4 ft length it would be comparable but as it gets longer the error must increase but at the end of the day if your 600 x 400 mm panels are 0.5mm out does it really mater?

Hi

I have just picked up some MDF to make some jigs and when you see these large saws at work there is no way a tracksaw or the like can compete with the speed that they can turn 8 by 4 sheets into much smaller panels. The tracksaw could definately do the job but it would take at least ten times longer. As for accuracy I would think that over the 4 ft length it would be comparable but as it gets longer the error must increase but at the end of the day if your 600 x 400 mm panels are 0.5mm out does it really mater?

1/1000th the utilisation and 1/10th of the speed at 10x the price and 100x the space.

And as for accuracy, yeah - if you're making something with ply panels of that size you'd be hard pushed to make 0.5mm count.

Back